Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3ds Max simple animation tutorial
05-16-2009, 07:53 PM,

Why not just update max version's while your at it?

There new version supports all max versions using 09 atm
05-17-2009, 08:43 AM,

crashed on export as NIF using 3dmax v 9 too

Wait a sec, do i need to create a Collision mesh with these latest versions of NifTools?
When i delete my collision mesh from the scene, i can export the model.
05-17-2009, 09:01 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by jman0war
crashed on export as NIF using 3dmax v 9 too

You're best off using Max version 6, 7 or 8 if at all possible as you can use the Civ IV exporter with them.

Wait a sec, do I need to create a Collision mesh with these latest versions of NifTools?
When I delete my collision mesh from the scene, I can export the model.

Collision meshes still need to be created. What would be useful to know is how you are creating the collision mesh.
05-17-2009, 09:41 AM,

Usually i create a low poly model of my mesh.
Include it in the scene, name it "Collision".
Open the NifProps rollout, with my Collision mesh selected, i just tick the box "Is Collision Mesh", and set it to "Heavy Stone", or "Wood".
Then i export my scene using the default options.

But when using the later versions of NifTools:
I select my Collision mesh, go to modifyers, select "bhRigidbody", set Material to "Stone". Export as NIF using default settings.
I've tried collapsing the modifyer stack as well, but it always crashes on export regardless.
05-17-2009, 03:18 PM,

jman0war: If you could provide both a Max 8 & Max 9 scene of the crashing mesh, that would be cool. Also a list of your export settings. I've been inactive over at NifTools lately, but I have both 8 & 9, so I can take a look at it.

I'd like both scenes to be at the state immediately prior to export if possible.

Thanks,
Steve
05-17-2009, 05:28 PM,

By "beast of its own" I just meant the subject of collision is much too complicated for me to hope explain inside the tutorial.

Usually I create a low poly model of my mesh.
Include it in the scene, name it "Collision".
Open the NifProps rollout, with my Collision mesh selected, I just tick the box "Is Collision Mesh", and set it to "Heavy Stone", or "Wood".
Then I export my scene using the default options.

But when using the later versions of NifTools:
I select my Collision mesh, go to modifyers, select "bhRigidbody", set Material to "Stone". Export as NIF using default settings.
I've tried collapsing the modifyer stack as well, but it always crashes on export regardless.

If you've created a collision mesh with the old NifProps system, and you then install the new plugin, the information you set up using NifProps will be invisible, and 3D Studio Max will crash upon export. It happens to me sometimes when I'm working with Max scenes I created in the past. Is it possible you added NifProps info to a mesh in your scene which you then forgot about?

Adding a bhkRigidBodyModifier modifier to a collision mesh that used to have NifProps data solves that particular export problem by the way.

Perhaps you could test it by exporting your model without collision, then starting a new scene and import the nif you just exported and create collision from scratch, and try to export it again. If it works, I think it's safe to say the outdated NifProps data caused your problem. If it doesn't work then there has to be another bug. I can't think of any other bug that would crash the program on export though. (Resetting the Xform of certain imported models, particularly collision meshes, can crash the program but that's not related to export.)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
05-17-2009, 05:54 PM,

Ok, try this:
http://www.4shared.com/file/105948705/f3...ax8-9.html

Tbh, i'm not sure what i'm supposed to do with the bhkRigidbody modifier.
Am i supposed to collaspe the stack?
Regardless, whether I include this modifier or leave it out completely; whether I collaspe the stack or not, both versions of Max crash upon exporting.
05-17-2009, 06:04 PM,

Ok, try this:
http://www.4shared.com/file/105948705/f3...ax8-9.html

Tbh, i'm not sure what i'm supposed to do with the bhkRigidbody modifier.
Am I supposed to collaspe the stack?
Regardless, whether I include this modifier or leave it out completely; whether I collaspe the stack or not, both versions of Max crash upon exporting.

When I opened your max scene I got a prompt saying the measurements in the file didn't match the system unit scale. It's always a good idea to use system units, since they're the same in Max as they are in Oblivion.

Your collision model, "Collision", is set to use Strips shape. This is wrong, as it produces NiTriStripsStrips collision - which is the worst kind of collision. Set the radio button to "Packed Strips Shape" to get MOPP collision. Also tick the Enable Optimize checkbox. (It can't hurt.)

I was able to export your model after changing the radio button setting.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
05-17-2009, 06:18 PM,

Hey, i think you're on to something.
I made that change in Max8 and it exported ok.
Haven't tested it for collision in-game tho.
Thanks a lot.

I'm going to upload some images of what i've been working on and also familiarize myself with your project...
See: http://pix.ie/jman0war/album/342905

Um, what happened to the Adamantine Tower thread?
05-18-2009, 02:16 PM,

Hey, I think you're on to something.
I made that change in Max8 and it exported ok.
Haven't tested it for collision in-game tho.
Thanks a lot.

I'm going to upload some images of what i've been working on and also familiarize myself with your project...
See: http://pix.ie/jman0war/album/342905

Um, what happened to the Adamantine Tower thread?

You're welcome Smile

I think your models look quite interesting! One thing I noticed though is that you have a lot of sharp edges in your model. The details in the foreground of the image DirenniTower11 is a good example of that. Sharp edges make the game engine shade your model crudely, which can make a model seem more lowpoly than it is. I'd recommend a) not having sharper corners than 60 degrees and b) smoothing the normal tangents.

The former one can be achieved by selecting the sharp edges and using the Chamfer tools (preferrably before the uvw map, as chamfering distorts the map). The latter can be achieved by simply adding a Smooth modifier set to autosmooth with a value of 60,0. It can be added to models you've already exported by using features in Nifskope, but it's more complicated. But if you want to try that method then it's done by 1) right-clicking a NiTriStrips/NiTriShapes branch and selecting Mesh > Face Normals 2) right-click again and choose Mesh > Smooth normals (accept the default values) 3) right-click again and choose Mesh > Remove Duplicate Vertices 4) right-click again and choose Mesh > Update Tangent Space.

I'm not familiar with an Adamantine Tower thread.
Angel mired in filth