then yesterday tried again and the nif file open just right
few hours later after opened 7 or 8 nif with no problem
same error again

cant open the files i just did 10 min before :eek:

did not change any setting....

realy ... did NOT change any setting X(

just closed and open a new one....

i must say few thing that might help :

when it worked : for some reason the files opened and were reconised as civilisation meshes so i just told him manualy that it was oblivion

now it dont work files are reconised as oblivion file by the importer but wont open and display the message above instead (bad object pos...1232308...) ?(

now i just opened the file and told him it was a civ file and it open...
but i supose it will give trouble when i ll try to export it back to oblivion... :eek:

i also have a few question about what is required for your meshe to be able to go back in oblivion but one at a time ^^ :bananarock:

i precise that i do have read the 2 tutorial from niftool about import and export...not mutch help with my problem ^^

aparently i m not the only one to have this trouble^^

finaly i ll add that my trouble occured as trying to edit some of "eshme" dresses Cool

sory for this long text Wink
12-18-2006, 01:30 AM,

Hi there nawak, welcome to our neck of the woods.
:wave:

Sure, Visual Development is a good place to post your question. We have so many boards that it's understandable if newcomers post in the wrong one now and then though, and it's easy to move threads when it happens. I also think we have a reputation of sorts for being a gathering place for modellers, since we see a lot of freelancing modellers ask questions and join in our discussions. Personally I like that because I learn new things from that process as well.

I wish I knew what your problem was, but I've never encountered that problem myself or heard about it before. Is there any chance you're using 3D Studio Max v9? Because that version is unfortunately not supported yet. I don't know what would happen if one tried to use the plugins anyway, but it's possible something like what you experienced might happen.

I doubt it's of any use, but here's how my import settings look:
[Image: th_import_settings.jpg]

If nothing else works maybe you'll have to resort to exporting .obj from NifSkope and importing those rather than importing the nif directly. It's more cumbersome but fortunately it keeps the texture mapping.

Regarding your other question; if it's a static (or a plant) you can export it directly from Max, but if you want to export anything else you'll have to add the finishing touches in NifSkope. As luck would have it the program has only gotten better and better and once one gets the hang of it it's not that hard. For some reason I had a helluva hard time learning the basics of working with nifs in the program, because - as I said earlier in a thread on NifTool's forum - all the tutorials seemed to be aimed towards readers who already knew the basics, and there was no information for extreme beginners like me. I guess another, rather big, part of my problem getting into the program was that I kept hoping those features (~ havok) would make it into the max exporter before long, but they never really did. Perhaps I should write such a tutorial, aimed for utter newbies to the program as I was myself not long ago?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
01-01-2007, 08:59 PM,

ok i fond the solution :eek:

the directory for the skeleton has an error

when he try to import file identified as oblivion he goes for a skeleton.nif in an address that has error (in the import window)

(...oblivion\\data\oblivion_meshes...)

so i just have to give him manualy the address of a corect skeleton.nif and everythink just work perfectly...

thank for the screen shot Wink

about a guide i m not sure i understood fully what you meaned (french Big Grin) but for sure a guide that would explain to full beginner that if they want to learn to animate or even built a mesh ready to use they will need to learn few basics like :

1-moddeling buttons and short cut (really ? :lmao: )
2-2 or 3 way of subdivision witch alow you to extract a body from a block
3-basics of mapping (or is it possible to do this after skinning ?)
4-body deformation and skinning
5-texture

personnally it took me a week to figure that out clearely Big Grin

now i have a new trouble about my nif files loosing texture acuracy when being imported back from 3ds to oblivion...

i import my file in Max throug the pluggin directly then modiffy the mesh then redo the "modifier_skin_envelope" of the clothe i have modified and finally put it back in oblivion data ...

when i play with it the skin looks of an old 3d game ...i think it loose reflect power maybee the mapping is gone ? it also seem like it loose a "mesh smooth" or some think like that ... :eek:
i even have somepiece of armor that disapear...(shoulder and arms protection one one of my meshes) :eek:

wonder what i 've done :lmao:

any way thank for the welcome ... i think i m gona have fun for some time with my new tool =)
01-01-2007, 10:22 PM,

[IMG]when I play with it the skin looks of an old 3d game ...i think it loose reflect power maybee the mapping is gone ? it also seem like it loose a "mesh smooth" or some think like that ... Eek 1 [/IMG]

Souns like a problem with the _n texture did you edit the textures ?
also it could be a problem with the UV-Maps

[IMG]I even have somepiece of armor that disapear...(shoulder and arms protection one one of my meshes) Eek 1[/IMG]

could be a problem with the biped's maybe the bipeds for the upper arms or the clavicle fail ?

they should be as seen on the screen:
01-02-2007, 03:12 PM,

when I play with it the skin looks of an old 3d game ...i think it loose reflect power maybee the mapping is gone ? it also seem like it loose a "mesh smooth" or some think like that ... :eek:

Souns like a problem with the _n texture did you edit the textures ?
also it could be a problem with the UV-Maps

i did not edit the texture at first and still had same problem ... (but maybee i did "not on purpose") recently i tryed to apply transparency
i supose the uv mapping must have been suppressed from the way i did use the texture management ^^

I even have somepiece of armor that disapear...(shoulder and arms protection one one of my meshes) :eek:

could be a problem with the biped's maybe the bipeds for the upper arms or the clavicle fail ?

what you mean ?
the body still work with the armour but some of the pieces disapear...

those were separate mesh from the central one but i did not created them. they were from the original mesh (bt_cuirrasse) who was divided between arm chest and shoulder pauldron...

and only chest remain after i export it in oblivion ...

nif skope thought reads and see the pauldron and arm protection on the nif files that oblivion cannot read
?(

i suppose i missed some thing some where :bananarock:
01-02-2007, 03:58 PM,

The original problem of the import happens when you tick the import skeleton box, And import a mesh that contains skinning data for bones, and the file path to the nif(skeleton) doesn't exist or is wrong. But it looks like you figured that one out Smile

Confusedhrug: now what you mean about the texture looking like an old 3d game......

Quote:now I have a new trouble about my nif files loosing texture acuracy when being imported back from 3ds to oblivion...

I import my file in Max throug the pluggin directly then modiffy the mesh then redo the "modifier_skin_envelope" of the clothe I have modified and finally put it back in oblivion data ...

when I play with it the skin looks of an old 3d game ...i think it loose reflect power maybee the mapping is gone ? it also seem like it loose a "mesh smooth" or some think like that ... Eek 1
I even have somepiece of armor that disapear...(shoulder and arms protection one one of my meshes) Eek 1

wonder what I 've done :lmao:

This leads me to believe you edited the mesh doing any moving of existing verts or adding any verts will most probably take your UV co-ords way off accurate. And cause stretching.(which can look a lot like big ugly pixels) Which is the anti christ for a UV map. The only solution is remapping the UV.

Mesh smooth is just silly. Stay away from it. I can't see the point in using it very much if at all when creating meshes for real time application.

The disapearing meshes. I'm gonna go with incorrect bone and skinning export. If those pieces weren't your meshes and just stock ones, stay out of max with them. Why are you exporting them if they are unchaged stock nifs anyway? best solution is this....I have no idea if this is what you are doing btw...... Is to paste your nitrishape of the mesh you created into the nif that contains the pauldrons. etc. that way I guarantee they'll work fine Smile
AM NOT A TEXTURER
01-02-2007, 09:30 PM,

This leads me to believe you edited the mesh doing any moving of existing verts or adding any verts will most probably take your UV co-ords way off accurate.

yup must say i did supress and add a lot of vertice :bananarock:
suppose i have to learn mapping a character Wink

And cause stretching.(which can look a lot like big ugly pixels) Which is the anti christ for a UV map. The only solution is remapping the UV.

stretching ? what is it ?

Mesh smooth is just silly. Stay away from it. I can't see the point in using it very much if at all when creating meshes for real time application.

never intended to Wink
just wondered why my meshe of the body who was unchanged did loose accuracy
something about stretching ?
:eek:

The disapearing meshes. I'm gonna go with incorrect bone and skinning export.

probably ?(

If those pieces weren't your meshes and just stock ones, stay out of max with them.

stock ones?
they were part of the armor that did cover arms and i did suppresse the tissue part and kept only the part of metal that protected the shoulder and elbow

Why are you exporting them if they are unchaged stock nifs anyway?

stock nifs ?(

best solution is this....I have no idea if this is what you are doing btw...... Is to paste your nitrishape of the mesh you created into the nif that contains the pauldrons. etc. that way I guarantee they'll work fine

nitrishape ? ?( (ok ok i m a newbie i confess :eek: )
but i did edit the pauldron too ... is it compatible with your method ?

well more i talk with people more it seem i m not gonna lack occupation in the next days :bananarock:

any way thank all for helping with my little noob trouble Wink
01-03-2007, 05:18 AM,

Stretching- your texture loses accuracy. The texture is stretched out place. its what happened because you moved around the geometry of the mesh and the UV map doesn't change aswell. you have to re make one.

Stock nifs- The nifs that come packed with the game. the ones you extract from the BSA files.

Nitrishape- I think you may be running before you can walk. I'll be this is why those pauldrons are disappearing. A nitrishape is a data block in a nif file. It contains the data for your meshes geometry, texture path, skin data etc.

I suggest looking at various nif files in nifscope to see what kinds of blocks they contain. Try looking at both rigged and non rigged meshes.
AM NOT A TEXTURER
01-04-2007, 02:51 PM,

thank for the awnser

but :

Nitrishape- I think you may be running before you can walk. I'll be this is why those pauldrons are disappearing.

didn't get it ...sory my english is not good enough :eek:

rigged and non rigged meshes.

rigged ? :eek:

and by the way about tutorial i found this one quite good for beginner like me :

tutorials joan of arc Cool
01-04-2007, 03:17 PM,

rigging is a kinda slag term for skinning. It tend to use it a lot. Non modelers tend to confuse skinning with something to do with texturing if I use that. You can't win.

as yes, that tutorial is a classic. I read that when I started. Its fairly indepth. i just read the skinning part, because I wasn't ready for that when I read it months ago. I'll say you only really need to have to look at the edit envelopes and weight painting parts. the rest is inconsequential if you want are just rigging meshes to the stock OB skeletons

Nitrishape- see red arrow http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/le.../skope.gif
AM NOT A TEXTURER