Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 books for your perusal with skins
06-13-2006, 11:08 AM,
4 books for your perusal with skins
I've written four books, inc their own mesh 'n texture. Three are stories (two have been vetted by Razorwing and Raggidyman already), the fourth is a selection of poetry which may not be suitable for this mod (or this world) Cool and comes with a caveat - I use DarN smaller font replacement, so the book looks like this, not too sure how it'll pan out with the default font.

The books in the game world.

Also, with the 'dreams of Tanyaria' I tried to insert a small picture but it doesn't show up in the game world. Not too sure what I'm doing wrong, but I left the .dds file in the rar and the path in the text file, so if anyone can suss it out and let me know I'd be eternally grateful.

If any writers out there want someone to texture unique books for them, let me know (this is like my first proper mod and it's great fun), :crown: and I've found it more fun doing this than playing the actual game - which is a bit worrying.

One last thing. Is there anyway of checking the books formatting out without needing to go ingame. With the patch, the game seems a lot more stable, but it is time consuming.

Cheers ~ Franc Kaos

EDIT - Pictures... Didn't work...
Do what thou Will shall be the whole of the law
06-13-2006, 09:31 PM,

Nice work Franc! :goodjob:

Reading your poetry in the attached picture I noticed you used the word "Demon". I'm not sure that word is used in Elder Scrolls? I could be wrong, but perhaps "Dremora" would work better. It'd mean about the same thing, but sound more Elder-Scrolls-y. =)

A few techincal notes from me to streamline the merging process;

I noticed you misnamed the folder "Meshes" in your package. Also, would it be possible for you to place the NIFs in a Data/Meshes/ST and the textures in a Data/textures/ST folder? It would also be great if you could use some form of category text at the beginning of the filenames, both meshes and textures, so they list as a group, like for instance "BookFrancAkavir". Thanks in advance. Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-13-2006, 09:31 PM,

"Dunmer Poetry" with humans on the cover? :eek:
Great work otherwise.
06-13-2006, 09:57 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Axen
"Dunmer Poetry" with humans on the cover? :eek:
Great work otherwise.

Good call, I didn't spot that.

As beautiful as it is, perhaps you can keep that particular cover in store for a future book, Franc?
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
06-14-2006, 07:02 AM,

lol, didn't even think about the book cover, good catch and thanks, and @ Razorwing, yeah, ok, I'll edit and repackage that up later. Just trying to create my first dungeon and island - arghhh! Got the dungeon to where I can walk about, but can't see anything. It's all there, footsteps, fire in one corner, splashing thru puddles, and tho it all looks perfect in the CS, I can't see zip, even with a torch 'n light spell ingame. Got a couple of suggestions from ESF I'm going to try out.

That's one thing I've noticed, there's very little (none?) fan produced artwork for TES - lots of screenshots, but for a culture so steeped in religion and death, you'd think there would be a lot more iconography. Mind you, I can't draw so it's easy for me to say that.
06-14-2006, 07:10 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Franc Kaos
It's all there, footsteps, fire in one corner, splashing thru puddles, and tho it all looks perfect in the CS, I can't see zip, even with a torch 'n light spell ingame.

1. In the cell options make ambient light - about 40/40/40 for example
2. Place light sources
06-14-2006, 03:28 PM,

Like HITD said, that would probably be the solution to the problem. Also check the settings for the worldspace, assuming you created a new worldspace for the island. Looking forward to the new package.
Angel mired in filth
06-14-2006, 07:50 PM,

Oh it turned out to be my bad (modding at 2am I guess), basically, my near and far clipping distance was 3.000 instead of respectively 3500.000 and 0 in the lighting panel :bash:

Finished my first island today, it looks like $%*%!. How did Beth make those gorgeous sloping beachs? I've managed cliffs and valleys, and those cell numbers are giving me a major headache...

Well, got a couple of tutorials for NPC and quest creation for tomorrows schooling =).
06-14-2006, 10:46 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Franc Kaos
How did Beth make those gorgeous sloping beachs?
They did it all with a heightmap.
06-16-2006, 04:01 PM,

Please find reuploaded package. I've just left the books in the CS this time, so as not to interfere with any ingame cells. Let me know if any probs. Cheers.

Is there anywhere on this board to let people see works in progress and get feedback? I've made a small mod (five mins play max) accessed thru a door in the Bruma mages guild with a tiny two room dungeon and an NPC with a little bit of chat. I just wanna know if
1) the flow is all right, and
2) just how 'dirty' the mod is

Unfortunately the voice is mine (with a modulated pitch), but I'm the best (only) actor I know.

EDIT: @Axen, yeah I think I might be a bit heavyhanded (and impatient) with the raising lowering tool