Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Proposal for Summarising Old Threads and Publicity
06-21-2008, 12:37 PM,
A Proposal for Summarising Old Threads and Publicity
I am currently writing a summary of all the previous threads on the various factions of Black Marsh. Whilst trawling through the old threads to compile this, I had an idea that I think might make our work a lot easier and more organised.

It would involve making some changes to the forums, so obviously it would ultimately be a decision for the leadership to take. What I have here is a proposal I would like to put to the Team Leaders for discussion:

Together we make a few compiled documents which summarise past discussions on Lore, Factions and Quests (I am already working on the second), then put everything that hasn't been updated since the de-archiving of the project into a new General Archives section. At the moment, going into the forums and seeing all the threads that were last updated back in 2006 make the project look a bit dead to the casual net surfer (I thought it was at first glance I'm afraid, so I'm really glad I got in touch with you guys in person), and this "spring cleaning" of our forum would, I think, remedy this appearance.

I also had another idea that might help us recruit:

We should make a teaser trailer and put it on Youtube. Use gamecam or a similar program, nothing fancy. I could do it myself if you like. Just show a few brief clips of completed areas, then say at the end that we're looking to recruit modders, writers and texturers.

I would also suggest that if we decide to do a trailer, we should set up a new page, separate to the forums, which displays screenshots of work completed, information about the project and some selected Black Marsh concept art and lore. Is it possible that Silgrad Tower could give us web space?

If not, we could always set up our own external page on another surfer it that's allowed.

What are everyone's thoughts?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
06-21-2008, 01:05 PM,

my first thought is yes. my second thought is do our areas look impressive enough to warrant a trailer? I think that some of the unique architecture and weapons we do have should be the mainstay of the trailer, I'll be starting work on Archon architecture soon so if we set a deadline for the trailer than again more yes.

Are you willing to "write" the summary articles on Lore and Quests etc?

Edd
An Old Man is sitting on a Bench eating Soup. He is a fool.
06-21-2008, 01:08 PM,

I vote yes.But llamaranger is right,we don't have enough unique stuff yet,we can't make now a nice trailer.We need to retex everything and new trees,etc.I working on Seafalls region,put new trees,rocks,landtextures etc..I think at August,we have a nice region of BM and llamaranger make some new mesh,then we can make an Excellent Trailer.
06-21-2008, 02:56 PM,

I am absolutely willing to do the summary articles on Lore and Quests. I have already begun compiling notes on some of the threads.

The trailer was really more of a long-term project anyway. Once we have more material, another way to do it would be to do it like a real film teaser:

I have a mod which makes the player react realistically when running (vision blurs and starts panting). It would all be in first person. The player runs through shallow water, it's very dark and misty. The player's POV keeps darting round behind them and you can hear something splashing through the water behind them... just as the player collapses from fatigue the video stops and our text comes up with some music. I have some andean pan pipes at home, and was thinking I might see if it's possibly to play the Morrowind theme tune on them. Sounds eerie if we play swamp noises (frogs etc.) in the background. That would get people's attention, and then we could have a second trailer that shows our meshes, finished towns etc. for serious modders who might be interested to take a look at.

What do you think about my idea for a new webpage with screenshots and concept art?

06-21-2008, 03:49 PM,

from a PR perspective, a trailer is a great way to go. even if you dont have tons of unique models you do have some new stuff (retextures mostly from what ive seen) and that will be impressive enough to many people. most people want to see new content and dont much care about whether it is unique enough or anything.

having a purely cinematic trailer is not as good as one that shows actual progress i think. people want to see what you have cooking more then they want to see something cinematic. imho, start of with the cinematic trailer, then fade to black as described (with the black marsh logo or something) then do a rapid sequence of video and screenshots to interest the viewer. high pace, fast flashing video segments and screenshots dont require you to have much content to display and are still interesting.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
06-21-2008, 05:49 PM,

I agree with you Deeza,we need a better website for this project,because its not a small mod.But yeah the trailer is a long-term project.And LadyN is right,the retextured stuffs isn't enough,we need a lot of unique meshes.But i can model only Speedtrees,and we don't have much modeller guy.Rickious is inactive,BusterWolf is busy,Wix is working with me on Summerset Isle's.Llamaranger the only hope.

BTW The new website..as i said,i agree,but its need Tlo's permission.
06-21-2008, 09:45 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
I am absolutely willing to do the summary articles on Lore and Quests. I have already begun compiling notes on some of the threads.

The trailer was really more of a long-term project anyway. Once we have more material, another way to do it would be to do it like a real film teaser:

I have a mod which makes the player react realistically when running (vision blurs and starts panting). It would all be in first person. The player runs through shallow water, it's very dark and misty. The player's POV keeps darting round behind them and you can hear something splashing through the water behind them... just as the player collapses from fatigue the video stops and our text comes up with some music. I have some andean pan pipes at home, and was thinking I might see if it's possibly to play the Morrowind theme tune on them. Sounds eerie if we play swamp noises (frogs etc.) in the background. That would get people's attention, and then we could have a second trailer that shows our meshes, finished towns etc. for serious modders who might be interested to take a look at.

What do you think about my idea for a new webpage with screenshots and concept art?

The trailier was actually not supposed to be long term, in fact I planned on one by August. I like the idea of having a video. In fact We could use lots of things, like the FOV mod that makes helmets and hoods look realistic. Just little things to make a good attantion-catching video.

As Lady N said most people wont carea as long as its "new" and the stuff we've made looks pretty good compared to lots of the mods that are out. I'll get some of our stuff going and takes screens, start filling landscape, and we'll start planning for beta/trailer release. BTW I have a HUGE suprise for you guys but it has to wait for something, so be ready to be blown away.
Royal Argonian Shaman - Deputy Leader! hahahaha
06-21-2008, 09:49 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Tlo1048
BTW I have a HUGE suprise for you guys .

Really??Oh i love the surprisesBig Grin
06-21-2008, 11:53 PM,

What are we doing about the Topal Island crossover with Elseweyr?

As I understood it, at one point we were going to do an island inhabited by both Khajit and Argonians. Is that still going ahead, or is it just low-priority now?

06-22-2008, 02:44 AM,

I dunno, Eleswyr has their thing going, and we have ours. I think our best move for right now would be to get some good screens, I'll look for some good places to film and we'll start making a nice trailer. Deeza PM me, so we can figure out where to film and such.
Royal Argonian Shaman - Deputy Leader! hahahaha