Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Series of Botanical Events
09-27-2006, 08:31 PM,
A Series of Botanical Events
Hi there,
I've been trying to build up some info for the Elsweyr Botany Books, and come up with a quest idea.

Salvador, an Upper Class Altmer Botanist, living in Orcrest needs you to go collect some specimens from the field for him. He'd go himself, but he's busy with his flax plant research, and his wife would kill him if he wandered off for too long.

The quest is designed to get the player acquainted with the province, and is fairly relaxed. There will be no real pressure for the player to finish the quest.

What do you guys think?
For ALL my concept art in one place look here:
http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/JaKhajay/

What is the Lycanthrope, in the Eye of God? A cursed Beast? Or a Miracle?
09-27-2006, 09:05 PM,
RE: A Series of Botanical Events
This might go any way...

Why would the average player get interested?
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
09-27-2006, 10:00 PM,

Gold, lots of gold.
or
Fame and glory, help Salvador finish his book (he gives you some brief notes describing the plants he wants) and some Gold.
or
a misc Mages Guild Quest?

09-27-2006, 11:39 PM,

I like it, a small introduction quest like you said,well you got my say-so Big Grin
Become one of Hircines

...R.I.P. My Oblivion Character Shadow...
09-27-2006, 11:47 PM,

Why does the average player do any quest? Either A. They do whatever tasks are granted them or B. They rolepay and this is a perfect example of a roleplaying quest.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
09-27-2006, 11:50 PM,

This reminds me a bit of the Nirnroot quest. Smile
09-28-2006, 06:10 AM,

Yes, but it has a lot more variety than the nirnroot quest, the player will be looking for many different plants.

09-28-2006, 06:23 AM,

How about for a reward at the end of the quest the botanist tells you to come back in a few months time (so he can grow more of the plants you broght him as specimines). When you return, he will reward you with seeds of the different plants so that you can plant them outside your houses to grow. Is this even possible? This could just be something extra on top of the imediate reward...an added bonus for getting all the ones he needs.
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves."

- Ernesto Che Guevara
09-28-2006, 06:25 AM,

Well i hope this quest isnt as annoying as the mage guild quest for mushrooms in Morrowind.
Become one of Hircines

...R.I.P. My Oblivion Character Shadow...
09-28-2006, 09:26 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Heywood
How about for a reward at the end of the quest the botanist tells you to come back in a few months time (so he can grow more of the plants you broght him as specimines). When you return, he will reward you with seeds of the different plants so that you can plant them outside your houses to grow. Is this even possible? This could just be something extra on top of the imediate reward...an added bonus for getting all the ones he needs.

Roleplaying for roleplaying's sake is fun, and can't deny my fair share of that Dark As, but I was interested in whether or what kind of link-ups might come from this = the reason for my query.

And as things are developing there seem to be a couple of potential benefits that might be derived from what at first glance is an innocuous and simple request:

1. - knowledge of locations not only of plants, but also of destinations that may be the keys to other quests and puzzles - this would require a fair amount of collaboration to work but could be a major factor in tying our mod into the realms of 'my 'home with strange and wonderful things being discovered that I want to check out later when I have done this or upgraded to that etc;' :]

2. - Heywood - you just blew my mind out - having gone to 500 locations for the 1,000th time to gather materails for basic potions it can feel just a tiny bit overdone at times (one reason I support mark and recall as well as lev) but as you say, why not grow your own? The why is obvious. Though I think that some ingredients should be rare and confined to specific locations. And others would be readily available near to easily accessible and regularly used routes. However that does leave plenty of scope.

3. - Ja-Kha'jay There might be something very special to be had in Lore terms from this quest = you mentioned writing a book about Khajiit Botanical thought and methodology ? - so maybe the player is helping you Altmer to complete research for this book?

4. - That might be a collaboration between your Altmer and a Khajiit? And that might be another reason why he can't leave home - he is working on that. Lore wise, could the wife be a most excellent and formidably intelligent Khajiit? Maybe a silly thought, but it would come as a huge surprise to the player when he/she finally meets the wife! - and could be great fun to verbally script? And a great opportunity to explore the nature of Khajiit and Altmer society and thought.

5. - And there is a wonderful book from TES3 that I have just edited about a famous and strange garden - I will have a chat with Bob-with-lotsa-numbers to check if it is ok to use that Morrowind ST resource in Elsweyr, though I believe that books are to be generally freely available - interested in having that among your Botanist's clutter?

6. - Finally (phew, why are my posts always sooo looong?) there is a second book that I have named Mara's View about Race relations in Tamriel. This has just been given a huge boost by a new and exciting writer and if Razorwingy who commissioned it in collaboration with the famous Mara who wrote the King Edward series of Books for Morrowind is happy I would like to place this in your Botanists Home Ja'K?

:bananarock: Confusedhrug: Big Grin
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman