Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Tool that may help with NPCs
09-05-2009, 01:22 PM,
A Tool that may help with NPCs
Hey,

I have just started working on a new application which I think may help large mods and working with NPCs.

What the app does is randomly generate data for the NPC, so that will be the likes of Name, Gender, Race, Class and Attributes. The names will also be generated based on the Race thats selected, so you only get race names that match that race.

Its still WIP and progressing nicely, so I thought it might be worth mentioning Big Grin, here is a picture of the first WIP.

[Image: RandomNPC.jpg]

Note: All details including the name are random, also the name is used for testing only.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
09-05-2009, 02:08 PM,

Sounds perfect! I could put this into the descriptions for interior claims and this would make it easier for noobs and people with zero time to learn something new. We now have an almost complete set of armours and clothing so they can then consult me about or make use of Faction threads. :check:

Could you keep me up to date on developments with this please, IS?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
09-05-2009, 02:44 PM,

Nice idea IS. Will the attributes be random between NPCs of the same race?
09-05-2009, 03:00 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Sounds perfect! I could put this into the descriptions for interior claims and this would make it easier for noobs and people with zero time to learn something new. We now have an almost complete set of armours and clothing so they can then consult me about or make use of Faction threads. :check:

Could you keep me up to date on developments with this please, IS?

Sure I will keep you up to date Smile, I am hoping this can be of some good use, so its nice to see comments so quickly :yes:

Anyway I have added more information now, so it randomly fills the whole form Big Grin, The names are now race specific as I intended them to be:

[Image: RandomNPC02.jpg]

Quote:Originally posted by Zurke
Nice idea IS. Will the attributes be random between NPCs of the same race?

Currently the Attributes are random and not tied to a specific race, but I plan to adjust that after the basics are done.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
09-05-2009, 04:32 PM,

Another thought about this: it would be cool if for Dunmer, a Great House could be put in to guide name generation, so you don't get an 8-syllable Ashlander name for a Hlaalu noble. Smile I don't think there are similar divisions among the other races.

Steve
09-05-2009, 06:01 PM,

Yes. Plenty of scripting opportunities here. I often use the 'Silgrad Tower' name generator which is a marvellous facility so the possibility of keeping the naming down to a fine art is a good one. Nevertheless, I can see where Zurke is going with that comment about the attributes. It might be best to set a boundary on how high a particular attribute can rise to or lower itself to depending on the race in question. We wouldn't want too many hard-as-nails Bosmers and highly-restoration-skilled Orcs out there...
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
09-05-2009, 06:52 PM,

This is a generic detail generator and most users will not be making dunmer nobles. I suppose I could add a check box in for users needing a nobles name. Check the box and any dunmer names will be suitable for great houses.

Attributes are capped at the maximum value for the beginning of the game. Also they stats are now being set for each race, so all races stats are properly generated.

So for example, the Orc stats are adjusted to match the stats in the CS. Another example is the minimum value for all stats is 15, but the maximum value is set at the value you see in the CS.

So for the Orc Strength in the CS is 40, the maximum value in the app is 40. This way they never become overly strong or weak. Hopefully with tweaking the stats will become just right.
09-05-2009, 07:24 PM,

Nice! :goodjob:
09-05-2009, 09:32 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Yes. Plenty of scripting opportunities here. I often use the 'Silgrad Tower' name generator which is a marvellous facility so the possibility of keeping the naming down to a fine art is a good one. Nevertheless, I can see where Zurke is going with that comment about the attributes. It might be best to set a boundary on how high a particular attribute can rise to or lower itself to depending on the race in question. We wouldn't want too many hard-as-nails Bosmers and highly-restoration-skilled Orcs out there...

IG, I was thinking that way, but also along the lines of whether each "bosmer" would have the same attributes or would it be random with each instance.
09-06-2009, 09:27 AM,

Indeed. I think IS seems to have that issue nailed down here:

Quote:Originally posted by InsanitySorrow
So for example, the Orc stats are adjusted to match the stats in the CS. Another example is the minimum value for all stats is 15, but the maximum value is set at the value you see in the CS.

So for the Orc Strength in the CS is 40, the maximum value in the app is 40. This way they never become overly strong or weak. Hopefully with tweaking the stats will become just right.