Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A disgusting question
04-19-2009, 06:48 PM,
A disgusting question
I've always wondered why it's easier to blow your nose if you hold one nostril closed with your finger and blow out, than it is if you blow your nose in the traditional manner (like in a handkerchief). Tongue I've experimented a bit but I can't find a logical reason for the physics behind it. Anyone know?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
04-19-2009, 08:22 PM,
RE: A disgusting question
My first thought was the volume factor. Having the same volume with the same pressure behind it concentrated through a smaller/single passage.
04-20-2009, 06:36 PM,

The volume goes down and the temp stays constante (the same), so the pressure will be higher.
p.V = n.R.T where the right part remains the same. If V goes down, p will rise.
04-22-2009, 06:00 AM,

Or, in common-man's English, more force is being focussed into one nostril rather than being split into two seperate ones, so your nose clears faster and more efficiently. Tongue
I'll die to win, 'cuz I was born to loose.
[Image: nirvana.jpg]
04-24-2009, 12:58 PM,

Yes that would be obvious, but I meant even if I push closed one of my nostrils and blow my nose in a piece of tissue while standing up straight, it's less effective than if I bend over, push closed one of my nostrils, and blow my nose into the sink.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
04-24-2009, 08:44 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Yes that would be obvious, but I meant even if I push closed one of my nostrils and blow my nose in a piece of tissue while standing up straight, it's less effective than if I bend over, push closed one of my nostrils, and blow my nose into the sink.

Restricting flow at its head or toe will have the same effect, which is less volume. That maybe why you see better results without the tissue.
06-06-2009, 06:19 PM,

Wow... thats rather disgusting but i see your point - never really noticed it personally even though i always have hayfever lol!