Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A pledge to save my sanity
06-09-2005, 05:12 PM,
A pledge to save my sanity
I pondered long and I pondered hard, if I should make this post. But after 560 lines of spell-checking and still 2.700 to go, I guessed that it is necessary to keep the last remnants of my sanity ...

*maniacal laughter in the background, tells you that Quentin is not alone*

So, please when making dialogue, greetings, journal entries and the like heed the following advice:

1. If you use the name of a NPC, remember how you wrote it when you use it again. I might have to go through the ordeal again to compare the names with the existing NPCs in the plugin.

2. If you want to write I've instead of I have or wasn't instead of was not, please use the apostrophe ' and not the accent ?. It's a small difference, but an important one ... at least for any program that checks the spelling.

3. Use a program that checks spelling. If you don't have one, ask someone who does.

Stick to those little rules and you ensure that I become neither black nor sirius ...

*you hear a disappointed growl*

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
06-09-2005, 06:10 PM,

Wow :pop: 570? Damn that's impressive, GREAT job Quentin! [Image: icon16.gif] [Image: icon16.gif]
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-09-2005, 09:11 PM,

Quentin, again I'm impressed.

This time by your dedication to voluntarily suffer that much for this project. Kepp it calm, noone expects that you do the 2700 lines within one day or even week or month. Do it some by some. No one, especially not yourself, is helped if you loose the fun on the project or burn out.

And even if I will report mispelling when I'm able to detect it (Im also no enlish native writer, as my posts may proof), I count only those significant, which change the meaning of a sentence. English, as most languages, has enough redundancy to keep the meaning of sentences understandable despite of some typos.

Greetings
TN
06-09-2005, 09:36 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by The Nerevarine
Quentin, again i'm impressed.

This time by your dedication to voluntarily suffer that much for this project.

Hehe ... I was so eager that we finish this mod that I forgot to have a look at the price tag. Wink

Kepp it calm, noone expects that you do the 2700 lines within one day or even week or month. Do it some by some. No one, especially not yourself, is helped if you loose the fun on the project or burn out.

*sigh* there is someone who expects me to do it as fast as possible and that is the guy answering to your post. :lmao: Just kidding, but I was so happy that there was a way to spell-check the dialogue that I delved into it ... then found out how productive we were and now - since it is somewhat tedious - I want to have it off my list. I have a tendency to swing between extreme procrastination and extreme haste ... *shrug* but I have learned my lessons in the past and will take my breaks every now and then.

And even if i will report mispelling when i'm able to detect it (i'm also no enlish native writer, as my posts may proof), i count only those significant, which change the meaning of a sentence. English, as most languages, has enough redundancy to keep the meaning of sentences understandable despite of some typos.

Greetings
TN

I understand fully what you mean, but especially the typos related to the names of NPCs can be extremely confusing, especially with NPCs who have similar names

I wish I could create a makro that would take care of it like I would do ... but I don't think there is a chance that Excel could do that Big Grin

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
06-10-2005, 09:35 AM,

Hello everybody,

re-reading my post I hope I neither annoyed nor scared anyone away. It should have been taken with a good dose of humour ... and was written after about 40 hours without sleep (which btw had absolutely nothing to do with the bug-fixing but my RL job).

The main reason I pointed this out is that I'm kind of a perfectionist in certain areas ... and quite sloppy in others. Wink And since our fantastic work is available to a huge community around the world I want to give them something that excels in every aspect.

To be honest, it is also kind of fun to do it and the main problem are the names ... and with some of them I understand only too well that typos can or rather will happen. Reahllu Tyiijn anyone?
Big Grin

Greetings

Quentin
06-10-2005, 06:08 PM,

That's crazy! 40 hours of no sleep?!? I couldn't do it. I work 9-15 hour shifts all the time, but always find sleep. I would have lost my sanity already with your job I think.Big Grin

I see how the names can be the worst thing of all too. They are all weird.
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
06-10-2005, 06:50 PM,

@ Quentin: Being a perfectionist is something to be proud of, and a hallmark of a great administrator in any area of administration. Whether updating old ID's in the mod to conform with the naming standard as Deus did, spellchecking the mod to ensure legibility and consistency between mod facts and dialogue like you do, or hunting for flaws with the great dedication The Nerevarine has shown. If the end result is that the mod becomes better in one way or another, that deserves a round of :applause: even if it means others have to do a bit of work (spellchecking their own contributions etc). We should strive for perfection, and the fact that you do is to me a great sign for the future Big Grin
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]