Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A proposal concerning interiors
12-15-2009, 02:31 PM,
A proposal concerning interiors
Hi everyone.

I am going to make a suggestion that I suspect many will disagree with, but please hear me out first.

I can't help noticing that for both Soluthis and Silgrad City, the majority of the really interesting and unique claims have already been completed, leaving us with what is mostly a list of many ordinary houses and shops. I suspect that this is the reason why progress in these two cities has been so slow recently, a situation worsened by the fact that we are now very low on manpower.

What I am going to suggest is that we adopt the strategy Ibsen's Ghost has used to great effect in Black Marsh, which is to copy the major item placement from identical houses which have already been completed, converting the house into a "mini-claim" in which all that remains to do is the fine detailing, cluttering and AI. This has enabled Black Marsh to make rapid progress with very few modders, and I think it would be a good idea to at least consider this seriously.

It may be that you completely disagree, and if so that's fine with me - just say the word and I won't bring this up again. I just thought I would bring it to your attention. Smile
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
12-15-2009, 03:18 PM,
RE: A proposal concerning interiors
Hi Deeza, thanks for sharing your ideas Smile

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Hi everyone.

I can't help noticing that for both Soluthis and Silgrad City, the majority of the really interesting and unique claims have already been completed, leaving us with what is mostly a list of many ordinary houses and shops.
Well, IMO Soluthis is almost finished (interiors).
For Silgrad city it's possible to create your own claim(s).

What I am going to suggest is that we adopt the strategy Ibsen's Ghost has used to great effect in Black Marsh, which is to copy the major item placement from identical houses which have already been completed, converting the house into a "mini-claim" in which all that remains to do is the fine detailing, cluttering and AI. This has enabled Black Marsh to make rapid progress with very few modders, and I think it would be a good idea to at least consider this seriously.
  1. I am not a fan of copying the content of an existing interior.

I reviewed a few hundred unique claims and don't like the idea of having almost similar interiors except for a few changes made by a lazy modder.

2. Modding AI is an art and can't be copied.

3. Regarding our progress (interior wise) please check this thread.

4. I am not in favor of completing claims in a hurry because I know how many problems it will create (AI &Dial)!

As you know I wish BM & IG the best but this doens't mean we have to use the same strategy.
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
12-15-2009, 03:51 PM,

Hi Deeza Smile

I like hearing your ideas.

I agree with Sandor that cookie cutting is great to the extent that production is maximized but it is kinda boring and could lead to headaches. It does not even mean modders will be more willing to pick them up.

I didnt know the extent of Soluthis interior progress but if Sandor says it is nearing completion I can (edit: accept) that.

I believe we have Silgrad City atleast half complete on interiors. I believe Sandor will have all the exteriors for the interiors in at some point before release. That means we can always lock doors with needs a key on any interiors not completed if it comes down to that.

IMO, while completing all interiors is very important. I dont feel it will impede realease if we have a handful not completed.

The vastness alone of our exterior is alot of play time and we do have some quests within the cities.
12-15-2009, 05:56 PM,

Understood. Alright then, let's crack on with those that are left!

I had no idea we had made so many. How many are there left to do at the current count?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
12-15-2009, 06:20 PM,

How many are there left to do at the current count?
I have to check.

EDIT
Around 55 claims.
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
12-18-2009, 07:27 PM,

55 doesn't seem that bad.

I also agree with sandor and Zurke that the claims are best left as they are. It might be tempting to use a cookie-cutter approach to supposedly save time, but all in all, I think that would take away from the creativity that modders have at their disposal when creating interiors. I remember when I was playing the TES3 version of the mod, I was really impressed with how different each and every one of the interiors from Silgrad Tower was different. It would be a shame to see that variety lost in our TES4 mod.
12-19-2009, 07:11 AM,

55 is incredible! Consider the fact that 3 months ago we had over 750 done (and several more have been done since), 55 is nothing at all! If we all get claiming some interiors, then that number should be 0 by this time next year!

To all you modders out there, help in the final push for interiors!
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

[Image: mini-Skyrim2.jpg]