Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About the Tower...
09-02-2006, 05:52 PM,
About the Tower...
After seeing Kyoushu's concept art of the Tower for TESIV, I wondered why the Tower in TESIII was just a plain Imperial keep. Nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know much about Silgrad lore, despite having read the Silgrad Lore forum, but I was under the impression that the Tower was Velothi-style? It'd make more sense (not to mention look better) if the Tower was designed after Kyoushu's wonderful concept art.
Artemis Vendu - sucking Vvardenfell dry since 3E 394
09-02-2006, 06:04 PM,

I think I saw recently that Hoss was back and ready to tackle the Tower for TES4. Once he's done and with the Core's permission, that can probably be easily brought into TES3. The interiors are of course, a different and much more complex question. Big Grin

Later,
Steve
09-02-2006, 06:18 PM,

If I might

We have to remember that TES3 and 4 are different times in the history of morrowind

I like the Tower Kyoushu has done for 4

It is possible to destroy and rebuild in 6 or so years, so the new tower could be done for 4, but I believe some remains from the old city would still exsist.....thats for TES4

For TES3
We need to remember the City of Silgrad was build by House Hlaalu under Imperial Supervision, so the style of buildings would represent that and should.

=)
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
09-02-2006, 06:26 PM,

I thought that Silgrad Tower predated the city, kinda like if the Pyramids were located in downtown Cairo next to the skyscrapers, instead of across the Nile.

Steve
09-02-2006, 06:29 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by sacarrow
I thought that Silgrad Tower predated the city, kinda like if the Pyramids were located in downtown Cairo next to the skyscrapers, instead of across the Nile.

Steve
That's the impression I was under.
Artemis Vendu - sucking Vvardenfell dry since 3E 394
09-02-2006, 07:32 PM,

Based on Silgrad Lore as ES Lore doesnt have much on the topic that Im aware of so all you ES Lore gurus correct me

Old Silgrad (Kogo-Tel) was destroyed by the Empire and the New City was build over it, their is really no mention of a tower. It was the name given to the City by the Empire

Kogo-Tel was/is a Redoran settlement

The Keep was build sometime after the second invasions

This is just a abridged version....you can find more info on that in the Lore Section

Big Grin

09-07-2006, 12:00 AM,

Valderon situated the Tower on the outskirts of Silgrad and modded it as an Imperial keep. I don't actually know if he modded it himself, but if he didn't then at least he decided it so. Later on he discovered he had made a mistake, since - funnily enough - about the only official lore that does exist about Silgrad Tower contradicts both its placement and design in the TES3 mod in one short sentence. From "The Real Barenziah":

[blockquote]"There's Silgrod Tower," Berry said, referring to the Dark Elf town that had grown up around the ancient tower that guarded the border between Skyrim and Morrowind.[/blockquote]

So, the Tower as it is in the TES3 mod came about from a mistake. The short passage from the book contains a lot of information; that it's in the middle of the town (since the town grew up around it), that it's a defensive installation, and that it's ancient. Since it's ancient it's most likely Velothi in design. The official background story for the city was written sometime in mid 2004, long after modding on it was finished. The extensive rewrite I did was done purposely with the TES4 mod in mind. Since work on the TES3 mod had ceased at that point, and it didn't look like it would ever start again, my mindset was 100% that that story would only apply to the TES4 mod. It was sortof a way of putting the pieces together (in my personal opinion, of course) in preparation for the remake.

The idea behind the TES4 mod isn't to do a sequel to the TES3 mod, but to do a remake; to take the ideas and concepts of the old mod and rebuild them, with the conditions offered by the new engine and all it entails. So it's not really needed to match the TES3 mod with what we're doing for the TES4 mod unless you really want to, and I wager that making space for a huge Velothi tower in the middle of Silgrad would be a lot of work and may even do more harm than good in respect to the layout.

But in the background story, the Tower of Silgrad had always been there, to tie in with the official lore that says the city was built around it. It was the only structure still standing after the old town was destroyed. The destruction of the old town was my way of explaining why it looks Hlaalu instead of Redoran. He he he... the hoops one has to jump to stay true to the progenitor's whims, ey? Big Grin Still, it's part of our local history, and kinda original in it's own right I think.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
09-07-2006, 12:58 AM,

Cool

Thanks for giving me that info

I see how that could be very confusing to some (especially me)

I have to add this however: I have always thought that the location of Ancient Gate was incorrect, I believe in The Real Barenziah, the reference to the tower of Silgrod, is infact what we call the ancient gate.

Confusedhrug:

But thats fine Smile I think some will be happy if we decide to put a tower up

Bob