Ancient East Asian Armors
05-13-2007, 06:16 PM,
Ancient East Asian Armors
Pics of Asian armors:

Armor of the Samurai
http://www.japanese-armor.com/japanese-armor.shtml

Another Japanese armor (helmet) website:
http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.ch08.html

Armor from the Han Dynasty to the Ming Dynasty.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11867627@N00/

Links courtesy of Samurai Archives & Chinese History
Forums respectively.

Hope this helps Smile
-Connoisseur of Rome: Total War modification - "Europa Barbarorum"
-History Buff of Ancient European & East Asian History and WW2
05-13-2007, 06:23 PM,

i think muslim, Indian, and 'Indochinese' regions should be examined too.. the Japanese look is only one facet of it, I think we should use all different places for inspiration... so far i see everyone thinkin' Japan and a little of China.... that's all fine and good, but I'm just concerned we're headed in a too... Japanese-influenced direction... there are lots of places to look for influences and a lot of room for total creativity... just a thought of mine... by the way nice pictures you find
05-13-2007, 06:37 PM,

Well, I said "East Asian" - so mainly PRC China, ROC Taiwan, Japan, Mongolia, and the Koreas. (geographically), while Vietnam and Singapore are culturally East Asian.

I was refering to the amalgamation of sino-sphere cultures.

as for Akavir, will it be primarily East Asian or Asian in general?
If it includes the entire Asian continent - that would include Arabian, Semetic, Central Asian, Indian, native Austronesian, etc cultures as well.
05-13-2007, 06:49 PM,

Yeah, i was aware of the first two websites, the first one shows some crappy mass produced replicas :eek:
The second is very good for people who want to learn the basics of Japanese armor.
The third is very good, the Chinese armors make great concept art.

KuKulzA, don't worry about it, Ka Po Tun is a large piece of land based on India and will have some muslim influences, i would not want it any other way.
And Tang Mo will be bases on a couple of cultures, mostly based on China and Indonesia :yes:
We already have some weapons for them, and i have seen a nice turban helmet somewhere.

EDIT: "it includes the entire Asian continent - that would include Arabian, Semetic, Central Asian, Indian, native Austronesian, etc cultures as well" :yes:
Akavir mod leader.
05-13-2007, 11:59 PM,

I have been putting it off for to long... I need to make a good of samurai armour. I mean with all the bells and whistles. I will probably take a while, but it must be done. On a partially unrelated topic I created a new armour, think the Iron cuirass in Vanilla Oblivion but akaviri.

Nice Pics by the way.
Akavir Chief Modeller.

Modeling is easy.
Everything else is hard.
05-14-2007, 02:47 AM,

I prefer http://www.toraba.com/items-for-sale-armour.htm for good samurai armor, i like these a lot: http://www.toraba.com/gusoku-0510-4753.htm
http://www.toraba.com/gusoku-0612-4991.htm

Iron cuirass, but Akaviri?
How does that look? ?(
Akavir mod leader.
05-14-2007, 06:46 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Kodama
Yeah, I was aware of the first two websites, the first one shows some crappy mass produced replicas :eek:
The second is very good for people who want to learn the basics of Japanese armor.
The third is very good, the Chinese armors make great concept art.

KuKulzA, don't worry about it, Ka Po Tun is a large piece of land based on India and will have some muslim influences, I would not want it any other way.
And Tang Mo will be bases on a couple of cultures, mostly based on China and Indonesia :yes:
We already have some weapons for them, and I have seen a nice turban helmet somewhere.

EDIT: "it includes the entire Asian continent - that would include Arabian, Semetic, Central Asian, Indian, native Austronesian, etc cultures as well" :yes:

"Ka Po Tun is a large piece of land based on India and will have some muslim influences"

I think your Tamriel Lore is incorrect, lol. Ka Po' Tun is the "Tiger-Dragon" Empire, which is mostly likely based on China and not based on India. Tiger & dragon are the two symbols that are often associated with Chinese Imperial Dynasties (along with the phoenix).

"And Tang Mo will be bases on a couple of cultures, mostly based on China and Indonesia"

What does Chinese and Indonesian culture have anything to do with each other?

China is East Asian culture, while Indonesia is South East Asian culture. Indonesia is primarily Indian (and later Muslim) influenced. Tang Mo is the "Thousand Monkey Isles," if anything, the Tang Mo is the land that is based on India. ie. Rama story & Journey to the West stories.

As for Muslim/other influence, Kamal, the "Snow Hell" kingdom can either be a reference to Eastern Russia or be a reference to mystery & isolation. The details on Kamal is vague, so IMO, Kamal is the best candidate for any Muslim/other influences.
05-14-2007, 08:43 PM,

No, The dragons of Akavir have nothing to do with real world eastern dragons, in fact, the dragons from Akavir look just like western dragons.
Most species of tigers come from India, and dragon legends in India are not unheard of you know Wink
In fact, a lot of Chinese things and culture/religion come form India originally.
Right now we will put the Ka Po in Jungles (where tigers live), we based them slightly on Mongolian culture aswell (we will give them composite short bows).
But hey, tigers come from Inda, Indonesa and China, we are free to pick whatever type of culture we like, and we can mix things, add things, or leave things out, there is not enough lore about Akavir for us to be wrong about this.
You speak of incorrect lore and laugh about it, but "Most likely based on" means absolutely nothing when official lore about it is almost next to nothing.

As far as the monkey legends go, they also originally come from India but made it into Chinese myths, we simply had to choose something and tiger people in combination with culture based on Inda was already taken by then.
Tang Mo has four sub-races of monkey people, we have based them on monkey/ape species from all over Asia and they all have a different culture (but make one large Empire), i suggest you just read our Tang Mo lore section because i'm not gonna explain all that here.
At the moment, Kamal is an uncertain factor, but to say these savage beasts have a proper culture... no, these are stone age guys (sort of, all we know for sure is they have a king... or HAD a king).

"What does Chinese and Indonesian culture have anything to do with each other?" that's simple...they DON'T Tongue
Akavir mod leader.
05-14-2007, 09:52 PM,

"tigers come from Inda, Indonesa and China"
Tigers also come from Russia, Thailand, Malaysia, Korea and other various countries in East & SE Asia.

"Chinese things and culture/religion come form India originally"
Various branches of Buddhism and various lores/legends mainly.

You said the Tang Mo is based off of "China and Indonesia"
There isn't very much in common between those two cultures.

"They are great warriors and they use Chinese/indonesian weapons."
I'd like to see some pics/examples of Chinese-Indonesian weapons. I've never even heard of that type of hybrid, lol.

"Most likely based on" means absolutely nothing when official lore about it is almost next to nothing."

Hmmm, I guess it's a possibility to give the Tascei Dewer cannons, crossbows, and awesome looking Gothic plate armor. Smile Just a thought.

Various Tamriel books state that it is the goal of Ka'Po'Tun to conquer all the other nations of Akavir to create a single empire...
since Tamriel in the TES series seem to have anachronistic elements (ie. Roman segment & Gothic armors), I suppose there could be a mix of various elements for Akavir.
05-15-2007, 01:18 AM,

I did not feel like stating every country in Asia with tigers, but you get the point right? (Tigers are not exclusively Chinese) Wink

I'm guessing you are under the impression that Tang Mo is one region with one culture based on China and Indonesia, this is not so.
The Tang Mo Empire, has four regions, each with it's own culture and it's own monkey race.
About the weapons, "Chinese/Indonesian" does not mean one set of Tang Mo "hybrid" weapons, i can't even imagine what a Chinese/Indonesian hybrid weapon would look like... but i like the idea :lmao:
You can see our weapons in Corthians progress thread, it does not show everything he made, but they might include some pictures of Chinese weapons (a Jian & Dao i think) and some Indonesian weapons, Corthian did create a model of a kris (cris, creese, keris: a Malaysian knife or sometimes a sword, it is said to come from Java originally).
Obviously, those weapon models are not a hybrid at all.

By "Tascei", do you mean Tsaesci? And no, let's not give them Gothic plate armor Big Grin
Crossbows is not a bad idea actually, and cannons are possible too, but not Dwemer cannons ofcourse =)
Dispite the very little official lore we have, it's safe to say Akavir is more or less Asian, Katana are from Akavir after all, and that makes it asian.
But the fact remains, there is not much lore to go on, so we can do whatever we like, it's like you said, "since Tamriel in the TES series seem to have anachronistic elements (ie. Roman segment & Gothic armors), I suppose there could be a mix of various elements for Akavir", so it's ok for us to mix things if we want to.
Akavir mod leader.