Ancient East Asian Armors
05-15-2007, 12:06 PM,

Kodama sums up our philosophy quite accurately. :banana:
05-20-2007, 04:39 PM,

Tang Mo= India and maybe Indochina
Ka Po= China
Tsaesci= Japan
Kamal= Mongolia maybe soem Russian

There is really not going to be any Mulsim influence here, the middle eastern stuff is present in Morrowind (Iraq), Elsweyr (North Africa) and Hamerfall (Persia).
"If Left is Right, and Right is left, Which way is up?"
05-20-2007, 06:07 PM,

Yeah, i think it's safe to say Tsaesci is based on Japan.
The rest is open to peoples own interpretation, we stand be ours.

With muslim influences, i was thinking about North-West India, anyway, it's really minor, like a composite short bow (Mongolian, Persian and Turkish short bows are closely related to eachother).
Some armor from India looks a lot like Persian and Turkish armor.
Tulwar swords from India are a lot like the shamshir from Persia, just a bit shorter, the muslim influence is obvious there.

Not that this matters in any way at all, but personally, i think Hammerfell is more like North Africa (the Redguard look more like North African people then Middle Eastern people, the same goes for the architecture), and Elsweyr like middle Africa (with all the cats and the desert in the North and jungle in the South).
But that's just my opinion.
What about Yokuda? Are the Redguards not originally from that place? What culture would you compare that with?
Akavir mod leader.
05-20-2007, 06:48 PM,

I see were you're comnig from, the Redguards to look African, and the name Yokuda seems African, but the Redguard culture is Persian, just look at their names (Cyrus is the best example) and their sea-faring culture. Yokuda, in my opnion was liek Africa, and I always invisoned the Left-handed elves to be like Arabs.

Whatever the case, the middle east and Africa seem to be well-reprsented in Tamriel, and so references shoudl be kept to a minumum, liek you said just weaposn and possibly building in a few towns in Tang Mo, but not in the entire nation (much like how Oblvion spread out nordic and Dark elf infulences).
05-20-2007, 07:06 PM,

I'd say Elsweyr is more like India...

the upside down pear-shape... the dry desertly north, and the jungled south... the more war-like (historically) northerners and more settled south... well, all this is in the socio-geographical sense, mid-africa sounds about right too I guess
05-20-2007, 07:08 PM,

Yeah, i guess you are right about the names Mortazo, but hey, Bethesda mixed a lot of cultures to make them less obvious, we are trying to do the same thing for Akavir (just not for the humans).
About names for Redguards, was Shinji not a Redguard? Sounds like a Japanese name to me, (Bethesda's just being weird again i suppose) Confusedhrug:
Akavir mod leader.
05-20-2007, 08:07 PM,

I heard Shinji trained under Tsaesci while he was in the fighter's guild, as many of them joined the fighter's guild after their failed invasion. It seems likly Shinji wasn't his real name, jsut an allius he had probely to emulate the Tsaesci that trained him.
05-20-2007, 08:11 PM,

That would make a lot of sense :explained:
Akavir mod leader.