Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argonian royal court & kleptocratic regimes
04-25-2006, 02:25 AM,
Argonian royal court & kleptocratic regimes
This is my speculation and perspective on this, it may not be official

[/hr]

The Argonian Royal Court
Much like in Morrowind, the land of Argonia did not traditionally have a king. When the Imperials took over they installed kings and dukes as they did in Morrowind. However, this Argonian Court was not a puppet monarchy as anticipated and soon became a real power. Primarily based in Lilmoth, the Argonian court is made up of nobles, mercenary-lords, and royalty. The nobles are either representatives of Argonia kleptocrats or the Lords themselves. The Argonian court is composed of five sections: Military Branch, Foreign Relations Branch, Economic Branch, Internal Politics Branch, and the Royal Clan Branch. The Military Branch is controlled by kelptocrats using military to maintain their power. They are heavily invested in mercenaries and warriors. The Foreign Relations Branch is least influential and is made of virtuous and willing ambassadors and diplomats who go to other provinces to represent the Black Marsh. The Economic Branch is controlled by kleptocrats who use economic policies and trade to maintain power. The Internal Politics Branch is focused on maintaining relative peace in Argonia and keeping crime rates down as well as a maintaing a network of spies to keep an eye on the Black Marsh; in essence, it is a propaganda agency, a secret police, as well as a semi-influential delegation of assimilated tribal chiefs. It works to further increase the Argonian Monarchy's control over the Black Marsh. Finally the Royal Clan Branch is the Royal Clan itself which has a king who rules over the entire system.

Tools of the Regime
The Argonian Royal Court encourages ruthless means to achieve stability. They use torture and propaganda. When there is a riot, Argonian police are called in; these brutes, trained since an early age to control crowds, are armed with pole-like clubs tipped with steel to thrash the crowds into submission. One hit from these sticks can break a bone. Forest fires are used to hunt tribes that are unwilling to allow deforestation. Shadowscale Dark Brothers are hired to kill political oppenents of the Argonian Court. Imperial Legion guards are bribed and won over by local officials to turn a blind eye to forced-labor camps. Also, Mercenary Cohorts and Argonian Cohorts are used to counter rebellions but also help defend Argonia from outside attack. Despite all these measures, the monarchy actually is limited to a few miles radius of each of its cities or towns that it controls. Otherwise the majority of Argonians are free from the tyranny. However, recently the monarchy has been expanding its power as it senses that if the Cyrodiilics totally leave, their power-system may disinegrate.

Kleptocracies
Kleptocrats are rulers who maintain their rule by taking from their people. In Argonia, these Lords are called kleptocrats although in less extreme situations and other lands these land-owners may be called feudal lords. There were two kinds of Kleptocrats, those who rose to power through mercantile means and those who came to power through conquest. When the Imperials invaded the Black Marsh, some Argonians did side with them and they became what are sometimes called Argonian Vanguards. The kleptocracies are set up in this way. Each one is ruled by the Kleptocrat and his family. He then has a caste of soldiers/guards, traders, and force-laborers. The warriors are either mercenary or Argonian. The traders are affiliated traders and caravaners who export the lumber, fruit, crops, or ore that the kleptocrat focuses on. Some kleptocrats keep their rule by being generals of the Argonian Cohorts. Many of these were once the Vanguards, Argonians who led the Imperials and helped to fight the People of the Root. Economic Kleptocracies are ruled from Gideon and have subordintes at Soulrest and Lilmoth. They control those three cities and also close-by towns. The cities of helstrom, Blackrose, and Archon are ruled by the militaristic kleptocrats. Note that the Royal CLan is aloof and does not rule a city but in truth rule them all and are living in the Lilmoth Palace.

Recent Events
The short threat of the Blackwood Company has passed. The Royal Clan actually pays the Blackwood Company with a few recruits and gold to help keep the Blackwood region under their watch and stir up trouble in Cyrodiil. However, the Monarchy faces threats from Morrowind and Cyrodiil. Dunmer of the House Hlaalu and Dres are very angry with Argonian occupation of southern Morrowind (northern Argonian) lands. The Dunmer also have a hold on Thorn. Imperials living near Blackwood are likely to attack the Black Marsh and have a hold on Stormhold. Although most likely able to hold off the attacks, normally the monarchy has relied on local tribes to repel attacks, reluctant to use their own troops. Also, with the failing of the Empire, the majority of Argonia may soon rise up against the regime as it had grown steadily more tyrannical over the years. Therefore it must act and while strictly enforce itself on the homefront, but defend Argonia on the warfronts. However it does not have the popular support of the People of the Root

[/hr]
guys, I need names, I hope to come up with names sometimes as well as more concept art... which I have lots planned but no time to draw... so much to do, so little time... oh man.... whatever peace
04-25-2006, 03:05 AM,

Kleptocrats will themselves not want to be called such, it would be dissing themselves. I think they should call themselves something that sounds honorable like Lords of the Root, or Kings of Order, something that is completely untrue.
04-25-2006, 06:34 PM,

Another problem that I just won't agree to is having too much of these kleptocracies. You want them to rule over every major city. That will destroy the novelty of it. The Godfather didn't have thousands of crime lords running around. That's the novelty of it. You need opposition. There needs to be Argonian Lords devoted to restoring Argonia's former glory or becoming an indepentdent country. Not every Argonian is a thief.
04-26-2006, 01:08 AM,

I understand... although these Argonian Lords (and I did mention that is their official referrence) won't deny their tyanny to fellow kleptocrats they wouldn't like being called kleptocrats

Thorn seems mostly Dunmer (House Dres) influenced.... Stormhold is mostly Imperial influenced... and though Gideon is mostly under Archien(?) the city of Gideon is very important to Imperial interests so Archien affects the politics there, but he needs the commissions of the Cyrodiil to be there for a vehicle for him to export his resources.... economic-wise the Argonians need Dunmer and Cyrodiilics to help out with tham when on a large scale like caravans and shipping.

sorry if my ideas just didn't fit but its my first shot to try to capture the atmosphere of the situation