Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bal Falls/Stonefalls
01-24-2007, 12:53 PM,
Bal Falls/Stonefalls
Howdy

Anyone know anything about this Hlaalu City. It is located Southwest of Ebonheart on the mainland

I have seen it listed by both names but I'm pretty sure it is Bal Falls as that is the only one which appears in any TIL reference. The reference is just a letter which shows the route the courier took to deliever it (Bal Falls) being one of those places.

I have also checked the ES Lore Section and a few other fan forums, but their is nothing on it

????

Thanks

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
02-04-2007, 06:46 AM,

Some shots of the WIP for Balfalls

Enjoy
Bob

02-22-2007, 01:12 PM,

Howdy

I'm currently working on the surrounding area and of course the Waterfalls, I will have some more screenies in the next few days.

In the meantime I wanted to discuss the history of the city itself, as indicated previously their isn't much written about it. I have come up with a brief history of the city that seems reasonable and will post it for review and dissection. I would appreciate and encourage any information and suggestions on how to make it more interesting

Thanks Much

Enjoy
Bob

02-22-2007, 05:51 PM,

I dunno if you posted it up yet ( I don't see anything :confused: ) but maybe I can add a few words?

well Bal means stone... and then Falls... so maybe Stonefalls...
perhaps this was the site of a gigantic landslide where rocks fell like a water-fall?
maybe this was once a sea-side cliff that had been eroded at the bottom of milennia and one day it just collapsed...
but many generations later, Velothi and Hlaalu clans found the place now covered in fine sand and the rocks providing good foundations... and that the large land-slide had turned into a sort of natural harbor, though small..

Confusedhrug: and so it was named Bal Falls?
02-22-2007, 09:33 PM,

Those are good suggestions KK

HOWEVER Big Grin

My thoughts on it were/are this

I will post if now:

Balfalls got its name for its beautiful waterfalls (this is what I have read)

To me this makes no sense, for 2 reasons
1) it is not below sea level
2) their is no inland water source for it to get falls from

So I am thinking how can we have waterfalls and this is what I came up with, this is revised from my original idea

the Dwemer plans were to build a city south of the current location of Balfalls, in their plans they had need to construct a water station and pipe the water to their city this water station was built in Balfalls. The station was completed, the city was not(thats another discussion) when the battle of red mountain took place and the rest is history.

Over time the piping began to degrade and though the station worked fine the pipes broke spewing water over the landscape, as the years past erosion took over and we are now left with a beautiful falls and lush landscape which seems out of place for the area. Many people came to see this spectical and after some time a small settlement rose that settlement was called Balfalls.
In comes the Empire

As the empire began to speard its wings in Morrowind, they decided to built a Castle (Ebonheart) the original plan was to build it where Balfalls is located to overlook Old Ebonheart, House Hlaalu being the profiteers, took notice of this and patitioned the Emporer for a contract to build in Balfalls. They had noticed the ever present tourists and thought it good to build shops and resorts for the wealthy to stay in and with the addition of the Castle it was bound to be a profitable contract for both

The Emporer agreed and soon they(house Hlaalu) began to build what is present day Balfalls

Soon after the Castle construction began the Emperors Archetects and Engineers realized and ebgan to complain about the harsh condition of the mountainess region and the difficulty and cost in continuing with the project and after long debate it was decided to move the Castle to its current location across from Vivec.

House Hlaalu was disappointed of course but it was too late they had allready built several shops and resorts and had commisioned many merchants under the pretence that it would be good business,

Though their is still a stream of visitors to the area it is nothing that it was expected to be, A small garrison took the place of the Castle, most of the shops are closed and the manor homes which were build in the valley south of the falls have turned into farm houses

Thats kinda along the lines of what I was thinking

I do have some Ideas for a few quests based on this scenario but nothing set in stone < pun (stonefalls) :lmao:

Big Grin

Enjoy
Bob

02-22-2007, 09:38 PM,

ah, sounds cool too... I like my idea but yours is very good...
well maybe its all of them combined...

the heat/steam and water leak from the Dwemer hydro-facility caused a landslide, making the valley fill up with minerals instead of the poor gravels that were there before... and the land (being hydrated by the station) became a small valley that was very fertile being constantly nourished by water, sheltered from the weather common in these badlands, and filled with mineral rich desposits from the landslide... ?

Big Grin
02-22-2007, 09:45 PM,

Yea

Just like that Big Grin

Well like I said its not set in stone I think it sounds believable and reasonable and it does not contradict any lore that I am aware of

So I think unless their is another suggestion that is more viable then I will be cleaning this one up and making it better reading and use it

that could be a while before I get around to doing that

Enjoy
Bob

02-22-2007, 10:23 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by bob196045
Yea

Just like that Big Grin
exactly :goodjob:
02-24-2007, 05:05 AM,

Big Grin

One of the farms houses which is located just south of the city
As indicated, these were once intended to be manor homes for the wealthy merchants who had set up shop

Bob

03-13-2007, 05:21 AM,

One of the resorts in Bal Falls