Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Marsh Dungeons
08-23-2009, 09:09 PM,

Just a quick update on the Dungeon tileset. What you may not know is that asset management takes up a hell of a lot of time. All new models need to have their filepaths reset (which is very tedious) and sometimes need a little bit of retexturing.

Well, although I need do no more retexturing for Leo's mossy caves, the amount of models for the tileset is absolutely massive! I just checked this and it turns out that there are 247 nif files in total and every one of which needs to have, on average, 6-7 filepaths changed...by hand! At the moment, I've got 115 models completely done so I'm about halfway. It's on the way though.... Smile
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
08-23-2009, 11:00 PM,

Whoa! That does sound like a lot of work. More power to you, IG.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
08-28-2009, 07:15 PM,

The mossy cave set retexturing is now complete. :check:

Edit - Some of the pieces have been set up in the CS and I'll just need to do the same with the rest. Once that's done then a bit of experimenting with the tileset will be in order but we now have 3 custom tilesets: the mossy ruins, mossy caves and the dead rootworms. I'll be including this stuff, amongst others, in the next archive patch.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
08-29-2009, 02:24 PM,

Besides the mossy ruin caves, I've been looking at the existing ruins such as Mokumalata which is unfinished. It will only take a small amount of work to finish the first level now which is almost done. I also need to change the water type for the ruins as I'd like it to be murkier if possible.

In the meantime, here are some screenshots. The combination of much wetter ruins and havok vines seem to have an effect on the FPS and also my own graphics card. I think it's the havok vines that caused a graphical error on my first run-through, consisting of planes cutting across the scene. I may have to remove them for safety's sake.

Also, I tried shooting down the whipvines and I think they must have to take one hell of a beating before they go down because I was there for about a minute shooting at one of them. And as things stand, they're pretty evil. I walked into one the first time with my top-level character and it slaughtered me so it will need toning down a little. However, they can be dodged as shown in a video file I'm about to upload (I will edit this post once it's done).

I may upload some more videos in future and that should give DoZeNt or anyone wanting to create a promo vid plenty of material to mix together.
08-29-2009, 02:50 PM,

Ooh! that would be lovely!

I can just wait for the next archive, and then make the capture process myself
08-29-2009, 04:30 PM,

Looks very nice, though I have a suggestion. When walking into this place the player shouldn't think "Oh, another remake of the Ayleid ruins" but rather just "Wow". Modifying the meshes can easily accomplish this.

For example, the pattern of the cages in the first pic can be changed to a different pattern all together, with variations in how broken they are. The doorways can be changed to have a different bend shape as well as height. The roof should be almost completely run down as these ruins are old and overgrown. Some ruins should be almost entirely decayed and all that's left is the cave formation left by the original construction (walls and pillars etc) with tons of rubble covering the floors.

In Oblivion all caves and such were the same. A lot of effort should be put into making BM much more interesting in that aspect.
08-29-2009, 06:02 PM,

Yes, I agree. Senten made the first mossy ruin and his first effort is on display just outside Seafalls. It's very claustrophobic in there because he modded it carefully so that it resembled a semi-collapsed tunnel. My efforts with the waterfall don't show up very well here or in the videos (see below) but I plan to make it much more derelict the further in you go. The presence of vines and so on are certainly a start but something like the roof suggestion would work well....although it would be best to have a separate model that might be placed over the top of the main structure for this as I'm not keen on making numerous versions of ruin models.

I made this post earlier today: Conjoining Tilesets with the intention of doing more to mix and merge tilesets so I'll be looking at different ways of achieving such an effect.

Anyway, here are those videos I mentioned: http://www.filefront.com/14423251/Mokumalata.rar . I'll add them to the promos thread as well.
08-29-2009, 08:55 PM,

Oh now i see,what is mokumalata! 2 mins and i can watching your vids IG! :yes:

`SN
08-29-2009, 09:03 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
[...] In the meantime, here are some screenshots. The combination of much wetter ruins and havok vines seem to have an effect on the FPS and also my own graphics card. I think it's the havok vines that caused a graphical error on my first run-through, consisting of planes cutting across the scene. I may have to remove them for safety's sake.

When you say "havok vines", are you somehow referring to my "WhipVines"? If so, tell me which model whipvine it is, so I can look into it.

Quote: Also, I tried shooting down the whipvines and I think they must have to take one hell of a beating before they go down because I was there for about a minute shooting at one of them. And as things stand, they're pretty evil. I walked into one the first time with my top-level character and it slaughtered me so it will need toning down a little. However, they can be dodged as shown in a video file I'm about to upload (I will edit this post once it's done).

Yeah, the trigger collision might be too small to detect the fireballs and arrows. It can be scaled up in the future for better detection. It's simple to scale up in size too:

Go to the NiNode in NIfskope called "Trigzone" and expand it. Go to the bhksphereshape and go into Block Details for it. Increase the radius size to a higher number. Be sure to have "Draw Havok" turned on in NIfskope for the render window to see how big the trigger collision grows.

The damage cause by the vines can be toned down in their script:
Set "ftrapdamage" to ".5" in the script, or some similar decimal number. Right now, that number is at "1", and that seems too high a damage for you.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
08-29-2009, 11:13 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Koniption
When you say "havok vines", are you somehow referring to my "WhipVines"? ...

Havok vines are the those that are affected by the physics engine, the ones you can walk into and they'll move.