Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Marsh OST
01-06-2009, 09:44 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Xaeaix
1. Tarandes Veila: Piece with constant percussive counterpart to give a jungle feel. Energetic chorus and I've not decided on the very last part yet, I kept it mostly because I find it soothing.
I thought this one was pretty cool, it definitely imparts a sort of tribal feel. Since I don't know how you're creating these tracks I don't know how feasible my suggestion will be, but I'll make it anyway:

I think adding some bones into the percussive mix would really add to the atmospere of the piece. Something like in the Muse song 'Screenager'. You can check it out here, it starts about 25 seconds in. Perhaps a bit more dissonance similar to my suggested song would work as well?
Quote:2. Lia: Ethereal night-time inspired. Primarily woodwinds, strings and choir and no rhythmical percussion. Reminds me of glowing blue water. There are a few dropouts form rendering but they shouldn't ruin the listening.
I tihnk you've described it better than I can, ethereal is definitely the right word, and maybe frivolous? The only bit I wasn't keen on was the sudden ending, and the fact that it ended on the dominant - but I understand that it is a WIP and that it may be changed or more added.
01-07-2009, 08:27 AM,

I'll listen to the sounds when I get home. Am at school now.
Member of -
TES IV: Black Marsh (Core Member)
01-07-2009, 04:26 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
...Muse song 'Screenager'...

Ooooh, I used to hate Muse. I still don't like that album. It just seemed to be a very bad Radiohead rip-off to me. But 'Black Holes' is superior musicianship...even if the lyrics are a little pretentious...sorry to get off-track. The 'bones' idea sounds like a nice suggestion.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
01-07-2009, 05:38 PM,

The musics are soo cool!
Keep it up the great work!
01-07-2009, 06:56 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Ooooh, I used to hate Muse. I still don't like that album. It just seemed to be a very bad Radiohead rip-off to me. But 'Black Holes' is superior musicianship...even if the lyrics are a little pretentious...sorry to get off-track. The 'bones' idea sounds like a nice suggestion.
I like my music to be melodramatic, energetic, tense and very cleverly put together, hence Muse being my favourite band. I love Radiohead too, but unlike Muse, I don't love every song (when Johnny Greenwood gets it right it's amazing, but he doesn't always get it quite right, in my opinion).
02-16-2009, 10:49 PM,

I've uploaded a draft of one of the ideas I have for the dungeon music. This one is based largely around light ambience, high-pitched effects and moody harmony.

Go here to listen to it, it's the first song in the playlist. The MP3 player doesn't work with IE yet, though.
02-17-2009, 07:22 AM,

Nice,keep it up!
02-17-2009, 09:00 AM,

I really like the creepy effects. I don't know if it's just me, but I was wondering if maybe some parts are a little too high-pitched? I understand you're going for a jarring effect, and I think it works well, but perhaps it might be a little too much of a good thing?

Just my first impression. Very well done! Wish I could write music like that.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
02-17-2009, 11:25 AM,

Naturally, it is a draft, and I think one of the reasons why it comes off as such high pitch is because it's heavily compressed so the really squeaky sounds are a bit louder than intended.

I did want it to come off as relatively crisper than the very soft dungeon music from Oblivion. I'll keep what you say in mind and experiment with EQ to cut some of the tearing noises out.
02-17-2009, 11:59 AM,

Perhaps a bit more bass for a rumble effect. Plus many of our dungeons will be rather damp so it might help with your creative process to keep that in mind.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]