Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burial Customs and/or Practices
02-01-2011, 05:26 PM,
Burial Customs and/or Practices
Is there anything in the lore to shed light on the Burial customs in Elsweyr?
Mahta agea ry sou macil, ana maka na sinyamer.
02-03-2011, 08:43 AM,

"While the forests of Elsweyr pose some of the same problems as those of Black Marsh, the deserts preserve corpses for hundreds of years in a way that requires very little preparation. Khajiit of the desert tribes are often buried with only a small cairn of stones which are easy to find and uncover. The Khajiit show remarkably enlightened indifference to graves being uncovered. It is said that in the port of Senchal, one may purchase anything one desires. This is true if you desire fresh corpses."

That's about it, though we've developed lore on the subject, where special/important Khajiit get a more intricate burial, in the form of a stupa. Like the Manes, other important relegious figues, heros, saints, incarnations of Ra'Ra'Ra', and so on. Feel free to do some concepts of the stupas! You can be extravagant as you want, and Stupas would range from being thousands of years old, to more recently (50-400 years recently).
02-03-2011, 07:05 PM,

Interesting, the Khajiit have such views on death; my original intent of the question was more to do with the Undead. With Morrowind we saw Bonewalkers, Bonelords etc. Same with Oblivion with it's Liches, Wraiths and so on. Kinda begs the question regarding Khajiiti undead. I have sketched out an idea or two but I'd want to run that by you all for approval first.

The Stupas look pretty cool too, I'd take into consideration for sketching after I've read up on the matter first.
02-09-2011, 05:47 PM,

I started working on some concepts for the Stupas, after a little research on the matter; is it safe to assume that Stupas are exterior models only?

Actually saw a tv show and a movie this week dealing with Tibet, saw several Stupas in them. Helped me give a better idea of scale in relation to things.

I'll post the concept work when I feel confident enough...
02-09-2011, 06:51 PM,

I don't think stupas can generally be entered the way tombs can, so I think you're right.
Morcroft Darkes
02-10-2011, 05:26 AM,

Some will have crypts underneath, especially the ones out in the wilderness (there's part of the MQ where you have to track down one of Ra'Ra'Ra's incarnations Stupas, and enter it for the quest).

The stupas don't have to be 100% like their RW counterparts.
02-10-2011, 09:39 AM,

Being underneath, though, the crypt wouldn't need to reflect the external appearance of the stupa - it might be more like an excavated Dunmer crypt. Perhaps the spoil from digging the crypt would have been used to raise the stupa?
Morcroft Darkes