Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butcher shop
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM,
Butcher shop
The other day it crossed my mind that we have plenty of meat ingredients in our mod but not a proper butcher shop in the city. I think there should be one, if for no other reason than to make the ingredients available to the player in an obvious way. So I started writing on a draft for revising a claims thread.

[blockquote]"Thargan Drath's Butchery"

This location is a store in which players can buy any kind of meat straight from the butcher's hand. The selection should be dominated by our own kinds of meat, which you can find at Ingredient > ST > Ingredients > Foodstuffs - namely chicken leg, ham, hound meat, rack of meat and scuttle. You can feature meat from the main game alongside them as long as they don't crowd our own meats.

There should be a separate basement cell to this claim. The basement is partly for butchering and partly for storing live animals slated for slaughter.

The storeowner, Thargan Drath, doesn't exist in our mod yet. He'll live in the house next door (Soluthis####). You can choose to pick up that claim too if you want, but you don't have to. You do have to mod the character however, since he'll offer services in this claim.[/blockquote]

I haven't finalized the claim description, so everything about it is open to discussion. If anyone is attracted to the idea, feel free to tweak the idea to your liking and pick up any claim you like. If no-one's attracted to the idea Tongue I'll probably whittle on the description sometime and pick a claim to become the butcher shop.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
10-25-2007, 01:17 PM,

A thought here might also be what sorts of butcher-related decoration and clutter would be needed. To me, OB seems very short of "professional" objects outside of farming, and even that selection is not broad.

[Said after scouring the CS for fishing-related implements. Sad]

Steve
10-25-2007, 03:01 PM,

Good Idea RW

I have felt the same way about Morrowind, lots of Clothing, Weapons and General Merchandise, but little in other specialty merchandise related area's

for the butcher, if ideas are needed, lots of meat & fish.. some hanging meat, cutting table, seasonings a price list, we also added a lightly blood colored large sink with the added bones and flesh (for that extra touch)

Additionally weve done some work in Silgrad to add more variety with the addition of, a Bottling Company (WIP), Pottery Shop, Lighting Store, Fishing Supplies, Farm Equipment Rental Store, a fish hatchery and even an Undertaker (Funeral Home)

Thier are plenty of other things we could add as along as we can find the necessary objects to make it worth doing

The more variety the better Smile

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
10-25-2007, 04:39 PM,

SACarrow: It would be great to have those models but given that the location's primary purpose is to expose the player to models we already have but hardly use, creating more models would sortof go in the opposite direction of that purpose. It's not a bad idea, and no-one can argue that the location would be better if it had like a cleaver and a bonesaw, but I'd rather see it modded with what we have than postponed indefinitely. (Alternatively claimed by a person whom also wants to create the accessory models.)

Yeah, it's weird there isn't any fishing stuff in Oblivion! Not only do they have a major city with a bustling harbor but also that quest involving a fisherman straight out of the Imperial City. Our mod has one though, the fishing pole I modelled.

bob196045: It's strange that there weren't any specialty shops like that. One thing in particular I never got is why Bethesda never created barber shops. Both the old game and the new has game mechanics for setting a character's hairstyle at character creation, but neither has a means of changing the hairstyle after chargen. I bet a lot of players would have liked to change their hairstyle now and then and given that the mechanics are already there it just doesn't make sense not to have a barber shop.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
10-25-2007, 08:15 PM,

Agreed

And thanks for that idea....A Barber Shop !!! we shall have Big Grin
(just got to figure out how to do it :eek:

Enjoy
Bob

10-25-2007, 09:58 PM,

Good question Bob. I think it would be hard. I guess one way could be to make a helmet armor piece look like a hairstyle and add it invisibly to the player's inventory, and script it to be equipped at all times. The player could still equip other helmets, which replace the hairstyle in either case, but as soon as he unequps a helmet the script kicks in and automatically equips the fake hairstyle helmet. But that's just a theory that crossed my mind, I don't know if it would work in practice.

black[/HR]

Ok what the heck, if a modder committs to modding a butcher shop I'll committ to model a meat cleaver (& maybe a bone saw too) Big Grin
Angel mired in filth
10-25-2007, 10:11 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Good question Bob. I think it would be hard. I guess one way could be to make a helmet armor piece look like a hairstyle and add it invisibly to the player's inventory, and script it to be equipped at all times. The player could still equip other helmets, which replace the hairstyle in either case, but as soon as he unequps a helmet the script kicks in and automatically equips the fake hairstyle helmet. But that's just a theory that crossed my mind, I don't know if it would work in practice.

black[/HR]

Ok what the heck, if a modder committs to modding a butcher shop I'll committ to model a meat cleaver (& maybe a bone saw too) Big Grin

A meat cleaver we have (ES3) a bone saw Smile I want one too Big Grin

I know with Morrowind their are many mods that have wigs, they work as a helmet, I have not seen male wigs only female, so that part might be easy, I will have to look around and find some male wigs

Enjoy
Bob

10-25-2007, 10:33 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by bob196045
A meat cleaver we have (ES3) a bone saw Smile I want one too Big Grin

I didn't know that, but I searched and found it (Morrowind\Data Files\Meshes\LadyE\meat_cleaver.nif). It looks so-so. If I end up not making one then I could port it, but I probably will Smile
Angel mired in filth
10-25-2007, 11:27 PM,

I'll do a butcher block, like here. I'll do that and Bob's toolbox for TES3 this weekend. A bloodstained wood texture would be great for the block though...

Steve
10-26-2007, 12:42 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by SACarrow
A bloodstained wood texture would be great for the block though...

I'd recommend Filter Forge, which I used a while back. (It's a 30-day trial so I don't have it anymore.) Basically it lets you generate textures in Photoshop through advanced filters. Among other things it can generate blood splatter textures, complete with opacity and everything, which could probably be applied as a transparant texture on a 2d plane on top of the woodblock.
Angel mired in filth