Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLAIM: BM Cell Naming & Music Preparation
09-26-2010, 08:59 AM,

No, there's really no secrecy to it at all. I just defend the narrative-making part of things because it's my precioussss.

Videos would be good but it would only ever be a very rare event, perhaps for a very significant part or parts of the MQ, because it would ramp up the memory count. Short (up to 20 secs) musical themes used in episodic style would, however, be do-able using the separate sound bsa....voiceovers too... Wink
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
09-26-2010, 01:32 PM,

I assume by memory you mean file size. A 30 sec screen capture of Oblivion (just flying around) rendered in 720p becomes roughly 20mb large when Bink'd. If it was just a series of screenshots fading in and out with music and a voiceover, it would probably be a bit smaller than that.

That would mean an extra 100mb download if we had 5 chapters, as it were, in addition to a custom intro and map loop replacement. Larger if we want an intro and outro. People with fast broadband connections likely wouldn't mind but I'm guessing a lot of people would just skip it. It's hard to gauge. And now, what's the point of creating something cool if few people will bother checking it out. Would have to embellish it in a trailer, I reckon.

Alternatively, instead of using videos, we could just have music files with the voiceover in and play those when the player reaches point x y and z in the story. Though this would require adding synchronised subtitles on-screen paired with some kind of symbol that the player will recognise as the "now someone will be talking"-symbol.

That being said, this all does sound like pushing the boundaries a bit of what the engine was meant to do. This will all have to simmer in the background for when the story phase begins.
09-27-2010, 07:19 PM,

I have changed all of the Gideon cell names to reflect the new system. From what I can tell, all of the door links have updated automatically.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
09-27-2010, 08:03 PM,

Oooh, good man, Deeza! Thanks. :goodjob:

@ Xae - Yes, it's definitely one to consider for later but these things would probably require careful crafting anyway and, if videos were to be used, they had best be left for MQ intervals. Episodic audio clips would be easier to manage. I had planned to do that with the old music files I received from my last modding project for the Thief series which plays variations on a musical theme....that's before a proper musician i.e. you, turned up. =)
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
09-27-2010, 10:20 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
I have changed all of the Gideon cell names to reflect the new system. From what I can tell, all of the door links have updated automatically.

:applause:

That is truly good news, Deeza!

Saves a lot of work, if no one has to redo the teleporter doors.

And thanks for doing Gideon, at least....I feel that I've thrust more work on you all, with this naming system thing for the music implementation...and yet I'm not the best one to do the actual cell renaming myself (since I don't work interior claims at all)...so I feel a little guilty. (this is the part where you all make me feel better! lol --- j/k)

But yeah, big thumbs up to ya Deeza! (and to Xae who's taken on making the music!)

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
09-27-2010, 11:59 PM,

Thanks KP. It's a very small price to pay for properly implementing all this great music we've got now.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
09-28-2010, 06:04 PM,

Yes, I have to second that. :yes:
11-04-2010, 08:35 PM,

I updated the OP with a little bit at the bottom to indicate which parts of our map have had their interiors renamed. :check:
11-05-2010, 12:59 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
I updated the OP with a little bit at the bottom to indicate which parts of our map have had their interiors renamed. :check:

Thanks, Ibsen!

For any others reading this, I've taken on the task of helping to rename the interior cells used in Blackmarsh.

I'm first gonna make a spreadsheet of the current int. cells' names, then what I plan to name them to (I'll be following the naming convention in the OP of this thread). Then I'll check off the interiors on that spreadsheet as I rename each one. I will probably sort each series of interiors by what cell type they are (Inns vs Caves vs Forts, etc).

So, I'll make the spreadsheet first, then do the actual renaming later. Keeps things tidy this way.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool