Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't decide on a new card
08-15-2007, 06:39 PM,
Can't decide on a new card
I've been going through the discount sites for a new video card and narrowed the choices to two.

1 - Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB card (found 1 below $400)

2 - Radeon x2900 1GB card (found 1 below $500)

Only problem with 2 is that I have to get a better power supply (550w would be inadequate with all the HD's I have on board).

Got to decide it soon.
Morrowind Insurance Company. Now with Horse & Guar Insurance! :goodjob:

Ask about our Adventurer's Life Policy (sorry, it does not cover companions that you push off cliffs, throw into Oblivion gates, or eaten by that nearby hungry troll :eek: )
08-15-2007, 08:46 PM,

I vote #1. I've been looking at video cards for a while there, and #1 looks like it can work very well.
Lol what?
08-15-2007, 08:58 PM,

Radeon, absolutely. Ati just works better....
Quote of the Day
There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality. Richard Dawkins, The Enemies of Reason

Factions:
Silgrad Tower Mages Guild
Skyrim Thieves Guild
Vvardenfell Mages Guild
08-15-2007, 10:23 PM,

I vote #1.
I hear ATI isnt reliable, and I know GeForce work great. Especially 8800.
I'd go with No. 1...but thats just me.....and IATE. Big Grin
Royal Argonian Shaman - Deputy Leader! hahahaha
08-16-2007, 01:54 AM,

Id say ATI on the basis that it has been proven to be a near equal and i some cases better the the 8800GTX in benchmarks and some games plus thats just with the current drivers the card has massive amounts of potential once those get updated and with dx10.

also the core clock on the ati card is almost 200 mhz than a 8800GTS

also if you get an ati i recommend the HIS brand cards cause most have large overclockablity although the asus brand one is quite nice too and you get the black box pack form Valve congaing half life two and other things.
Sincerly
Green Cutlass
08-16-2007, 03:27 AM,

Well AMD bought out ati, so its only gonna get better.
Ive had good luck with nvidia,never had an ati card so I cant say one way or the other.
Also read ATI had some probs updating their drivers, maybe that'll change now with AMD running the show
some specs on each
http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Har...Cards.aspx
It takes guys as simple as the Dude and Walter to make a story this complicated... and they'd really rather be bowling.
08-16-2007, 03:46 AM,

I have had very few issues with any of my ati cards i still love my old old 9800xt it was flawless as far as goes in stock form :goodjob: and my x1800gto is working quite well and i haven't had any issues with it. ive also used pc's with nvidias and i see few differences between the performance the main diffrence is they render differently and ati has the shader models which are universal between pc and gaming platforms which allows for tweaks and updates by game company's (bethsoft knights of the nine)Cought*
Sincerly
Green Cutlass
08-16-2007, 06:22 PM,

I just found a Gigabyte Geforce 8800GTS 640MB for 353.50. The Radeon is awfully tempting (1GB of power) but replacing the power supply, it's easy for me to do but unplugging everything again and redoing it is a hassle.

Ask about our Adventurer's Life Policy (sorry, it does not cover companions that you push off cliffs, throw into Oblivion gates, or eaten by that nearby hungry troll :eek: )
08-16-2007, 10:51 PM,

Geforce 8800, Nvidia has never let me down, and that card is a beast.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
08-17-2007, 05:17 PM,

Ordered the Geforce today, so maybe sometime late next week it should arrive.