Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claim offshoot - For the memory of love
12-08-2006, 03:10 PM,
Claim offshoot - For the memory of love
This is the basic idea from the claim thread:
Quote:Another inhabitant of the Slums asks you to destroy the painting of Tanvala, claiming that her spirit is trapped within it. In fact, the quest-giver loved Tanvala, and was heart-broken after she chose Aldaves over him. When she was killed, he blamed Aldaves for her death, and now wants to take revenge.

Additional Background:
Tanvala, Aldaves and Silvryn grew up together in the Slums of Soluthis, a tomboyish girl and two boys who were always competing with each other. As is the way with most stories like this, eventually the boys became interested in girls and vice-versa. The pair competed even more for her affections, until eventually Aldaves taunted Silvryn into stealing fruit from the orchard of one of Soluthis's nobles. He got caught, and was sentenced to ten years service in the national army. After completing his stint, he returned to discover that Aldaves and Tanvala had married. Believing that Aldaves orchestrated his capture to win Tanvala's heart, he allowed himself to become an embittered old man, incapable of seeing how happy his former best friends made each other. Several years ago, Tanvala was killed by highwaymen, leaving both of the old Dunmer shattered. Silvryn nursed his hared even further, blaming Aldaves for both ruining his life and killing the woman he loved.

It's a reasonably simple quest, I hope (Aside from the excessive expositionary paragraph I just posted). Get quest -> Destroy the painting or talk to Aldaves to find out more about the situation -> ?

The problem is I'm not sure where else I can take the quest if the player opts not to destroy the painting. What I'd like to have happen is that Tanvala's spirit really is within the painting, but by her choice, in an attempt to stay with Aldaves. The player's actions cause the spirit to leave the painting briefly, explain to Silvryn why she loved Aldaves more, ask both of them to resume their friendship with each other for her sake, etc. So I need ideas, suggestions, criticism. Throw me whatever you've got.
12-08-2006, 10:33 PM,

Sounds good to me :goodjob:
I would suggest changing the 'national army' to the 'Imperial Legion'.

I had a thought. Perhaps Tanvala's dying wish* was that her husband reconciled with his friend by giving him a letter written by her, but Aldaves has been too afraid of Silvryn to give it to him because he feared Silvryn would get even more aggravated by reading it?
* if the highwaymen attack didn't cause her immediate death but rather a prolonged one ultimately brought over by infections

If so then the quest would offer the opportunity for the player to choose to be good or evil. An evil character might find it appealing to destroy the painting, while a good character might want to discuss the situation with everyone involved first. If a good character does that then Aldaves could give the player Tanvala's letter and ask him to give it to Silvryn. Aldaves' fear could be a good explanation as to why he doesn't want to do it himself (plus he hadn't done it since her death so it'd be strange to do it now). The player delivers the letter and Silvryn resigns to accept the situation.

Perhaps he says to the player that his anger over Aldaves getting him sent away for ten years manifested itself as jealousy towards their relationship - or something like that, with the point being that Aldaves might come across as a wicked character and it would seem to me that it would be hard for Silvryn to forgive him even if the situation with Tanvala was resolved. When the player returns to Aldaves to complete the quest after having delivered the letter, Aldaves might make a comment to the effect of "I don't know how I can ever do right by him, but now that we are civil with one another I have the rest of my life to try."

A totally optional twist could be that when the player delivers the letter, the result is measured against his Speechcraft skill. If the skill is too low, Aldaves might think the letter is forged and go over to Silvryn's house to kill him, and if Aldaves survives, then turn on the player. I've always thought measuring Speechcraft like that would be a cool thing for our quests because it's a pretty useless skill in the main game but we could have the skill make a difference.

Just some thoughts from me, if you don't want to use them that is totally okay with me. Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
12-12-2006, 02:52 PM,

A certain tension might be added by having the painting (which normally has her spirit in, as Razorwing suggests) was stolen from the husband by:
- Thieves, or
- the other friend - who has had to live without her, or
- the painter - who believes that he is a genius and was robbed of the true value of his artwork ... or
- a local noble, who believes he is a connoisseur of great art

... so the spirit tries to leave it - in an attempt to return to her love ...

Consider that you might put it all together in a black comedy of a string of thefts - so that each time the player arrives at one location he discovers that the painting has been stolen again - harried all the way by the girl's spirit which gets more frantic with each theft ...

What you can make of this will depend on your imagination and the order in which the thefts occur... and you must include a twist!
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
12-12-2006, 11:00 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by raggidman
- a local noble, who believes he is a connoisseur of great art
I like that, partly because the house I still need to finish is owned by a guy who could probably live in a nicer, upper class house, but instead choses to live in a middle class house so he can afford fine art. But it is up to you, of coarse, Tal.
My mage is an honor student at the Arcane University.
12-13-2006, 10:50 AM,

Sounds good to me. I'm still sorting out the basics of the quest, but I'm definitely leaning towards using the suggestions you've all given me.
12-13-2006, 11:25 AM,

Have fun, and just implement whatever complements your inspiration.

Good ideas are not lost - if they don't fit in one location there will be opportunities to use them elsewhere ...
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
12-13-2006, 10:37 PM,

The claim thread: rpc07 "Furio Vatinius' Home" [Claimed]
03-01-2007, 11:05 PM,

WW

Hows the progress on this quest Idea going?

What can I do to help?

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
03-01-2007, 11:19 PM,

I don't really know. Tal isn't really around much right now, and it was his idea so Confusedhrug:
03-01-2007, 11:42 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by WhiteWizard
I don't really know. Tal isn't really around much right now, and it was his idea so Confusedhrug:

Oh, my mistake.. I saw the claim post and thought you had taken this task.

In that case, if it is still open I will work on it Big Grin

thanks
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories