Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concept art request: Statue of St. Seryn
02-07-2009, 04:44 PM,
Concept art request: Statue of St. Seryn
There's an area of Soluthis called "Valley of St. Seryn". I've been meaning to make a statue of the saint to play into that. I thought about doing it today, when it dawned on me... I don't have a clue what St. Seryn would look like Big Grin

From Morrowind we learn that Saint Seryn the Merciful is the patron of Brewers, Bakers, and Distillers. This pure but less-than-handsome virgin could heal all diseases at the price of taking the disease upon herself. Tough as a guar, she lived to a ripe and sprightly old age. Also, praying at a shrine of St. Seryn grants Seryn's Shield, which gives resistance to poisons.

So I guess one could say that she has a lot of contrast; she's a virgin but ugly, unlike the fair maidens of traditional fantasy; she's a woman, but hardy and tough unlike the damsels of distress we might think of when we think of a woman in a fantasy setting. And she would appear to have liked booze, also not very characteristic of either virgins or women in normal fantasy Big Grin And everything combined would seem to indicate that she was a virgin because she preferred the company of women. So... I guess this saint was kinda like a butch lesbian... Tongue The guys who made the game had a damn lot of humour, hehe.

I've never made a character model before, so I rather look forward to trying Smile

Does anyone recall if there was a statue in Morrowind of her? If there wasn't I think this is the only clue to how the devs envisioned her... and it doesn't give much to go on:
[Image: th_Tx_saint_Seryn_01.jpg]
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
02-21-2009, 06:37 AM,

Taking that small shrine picture is hardly a good reference to build a model on. The description you provided gives me a very vivid image on what she could look like if she lived on like that for the rest of her life. But, i dont know how a lesbian would be characterised back in morrowind, all i see for a butch lesbian is a women dressed in a trucker's outfit (so the cleche jeans and read checkered long-sleeved shirt tucked up to the elbow), masculine, and wild hair.

Too complicated. Don't think its worth it.
Maybe it's intuition
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
And there it goes
I think I've found my best friend
-End Quote- Savage Garden
BusterWolF
02-21-2009, 12:15 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by BusterWolF
Taking that small shrine picture is hardly a good reference to build a model on. The description you provided gives me a very vivid image on what she could look like if she lived on like that for the rest of her life. But, I dont know how a lesbian would be characterised back in Morrowind, all I see for a butch lesbian is a women dressed in a trucker's outfit (so the cleche jeans and read checkered long-sleeved shirt tucked up to the elbow), masculine, and wild hair.

Too complicated. Don't think its worth it.

Well nevermind my own thoughts about the saint then. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that the concept art shows a strong, wellbuilt and mannish woman clad in a robe.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
02-21-2009, 03:42 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Well nevermind my own thoughts about the saint then. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that the concept art shows a strong, wellbuilt and mannish woman clad in a robe.

Maybe she has a large pitcher in tow and sandles laced up to the knee. Short hair and slightly on the heavy side. Large breasts can distinguish her from a male.
02-21-2009, 05:21 PM,

i actually started building this statue a while back for morrowind, i made her hunched over (carrying the burdens of the world upon her back). its obviously based more on the healing the sick aspect than the tough as a guar one she was suppose to hold a staff but i never got that far. its kinda (really) suck. character modeling is hard.

[Image: 66516608.th.jpg]
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
02-21-2009, 06:33 PM,

I like your ideas Zurke, and I like your work Lady Nerevar Smile

Lady Nerevar, would you be willing to allow me to finalize your model? Naturally I'd be happy to share the finished model. If so I think I would modify the arms a bit to make them look more relaxed, and I would incorporate many of you Zurke's ideas. I think the pitcher would resonate with hardcore elder scrolls fans, because they'd get that it was St Seryn without further explanation than that. I would also enlarge her jigglies by a fair amount, though in moderation so that her appearance won't give the impression the statue is about to fall over.

(LN: ImageShack is really slow by the way, it took me minutes and several re-connects to download your fullsized image. I slapped up a copy of it to photobucket, hope you don't mind)
Angel mired in filth
02-21-2009, 06:40 PM,

the model is made almost entirely of morrowind parts, so i dont think thats totally legal Confusedhrug:

imageshack works fine for me, i guess its just a computer/location thing.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
02-21-2009, 06:55 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
the model is made almost entirely of Morrowind parts, so I dont think thats totally legal Confusedhrug:

Aah, I see. Pity. I guess I'll start from scratch then Smile
Angel mired in filth