Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting .spt to .nif?
02-25-2009, 03:10 PM,
Converting .spt to .nif?
I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to somehow convert SpeedTree trees (*.spt) into nifs?

I'm asking because I like generating maps, but the function can't display our trees and so the maps look inaccurate. Personally I believe it's because Oblivion's trees have threedimensional billboards while custom trees can only have twodimensional sprites, which of course renders them invisible when viewed from above.

It was easy enough for me to make a fake water mesh (seen on the right image) to make the river visible, since the map generator doesn't display water either... but I'd rather not model trees from scratch just to get the maps to display right Tongue So... anyone know if it's possible to convert them?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
02-25-2009, 03:30 PM,

My own research on this matter has led to a dead end and the current conclusion is that it is not possible to convert .spt to .nif but, as is known, I'm no expert in the field, although I have spoken to several who might be regarded as such. Yet the answer is always "no".

I don't know how much of that answer involves a little, "good god, no. There's no chance I'm tackling that. It sounds far too complicated!" or whether it would indeed require some clever work-around that they just haven't figured yet. However, the realms of possibility in terms of technical capability are there to be adjusted. Personally, I believe it's just a very demanding task that no wunderkid has conquered....yet!
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
02-25-2009, 08:17 PM,

afair the full version of speedtree can export some sort of static format (.obj maybe) that can then be changed to nif.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
02-25-2009, 08:21 PM,

Can it export any .obj files because I could get some useful models if I was able to convert .obj files to .nif (besides trees)?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
02-25-2009, 08:57 PM,

lolwut? not quite sure what youre saying there. if you want to convert non-tree meshes to nif nifskope and blender are both simple and easy ways to go (depends on what model youre exporting). im not sure if speedtree can export obj's (i may be cofusing it the facegen now that i think about it), but if it can it wouldnt be able to do it for meshes that are not trees.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
02-25-2009, 09:13 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
lolwut? not quite sure what you're saying there. if you want to convert non-tree meshes to nif nifskope and blender are both simple and easy ways to go (depends on what model you're exporting). I'm not sure if speedtree can export obj's (i may be cofusing it the facegen now that I think about it), but if it can it wouldn't be able to do it for meshes that are not trees.

I think he means if he can work with .obj files he could convert other files he has besides trees Smile

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Can it export any .obj files because I could get some useful models if I was able to convert .obj files to .nif (besides trees)?

Blender can export any .obj files, though I have not used its nif tools script which would actually convert it to a .nif. Instead I imported it into nifskope.

Anyway yeah Blender can pretty much export all .obj files, at least I think.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
02-26-2009, 02:47 PM,

Thanks, IS. That's worth looking into. :goodjob:

Sorry to hi-jack RW's thread, btw. Just to reiterate, if anyone knows how to convert .spt files into .nifs then we'd love to hear about it.