Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corinth Architecture
01-25-2011, 11:40 PM,
Corinth Architecture
Here's a first cut of a wall piece for Corinth. I started from the walls of Avila in Spain but then started playing around with it. We don't really have much of a plan for Corinth's architecture, apart from some work I've done on an enclosed coutyard design.

If this seems a reasonable direction then I'll add some "D" - shaped towers similar to those in Avila.

Any opinions?

[Image: th_Corinth02.jpg] [Image: th_Corinth01.jpg]
Morcroft Darkes
01-25-2011, 11:56 PM,

Looking good so far, I recommend however that you work abit more on the textures, such as:

1) Split the main wall section into an 'upper' and 'lower' texture, so you can customise it a bit more (such as making the bottom look grubbier than the top, giving a nice blend with the ground).

2) Give it more of a brownish/orangeish tint, otherwise it'll stick out too much from the surrounding area.

2) Give the pillars some higher res textures/uv mapping.
01-26-2011, 12:11 AM,

Yeah - mostly wanted to get the model right so hadn't worked that much on the texture. The colour is definitely off.

You're only seeing the top half of what I've actually modelled - I followed the overall shape of a vanilla wall piece which turns out to be very tall. I'm guessing that's largely to deal with steep slopes - but Corinth is actually pretty flat. I'll probably cut off the excess and split it as you say. Does the height look right?
Morcroft Darkes
01-26-2011, 02:17 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
Yeah - mostly wanted to get the model right so hadn't worked that much on the texture. The colour is definitely off.

You're only seeing the top half of what I've actually modelled - I followed the overall shape of a vanilla wall piece which turns out to be very tall. I'm guessing that's largely to deal with steep slopes - but Corinth is actually pretty flat. I'll probably cut off the excess and split it as you say. Does the height look right?

yeah the height looks about right. I guess slightly lower walls will actually look better in LOD, especially in the plains. It'll help to make them look further away than they actually are.
02-09-2011, 07:02 PM,

Here's the current state of the Corinth city wall meshes:
[Image: Corinth03.jpg]

Somewhat redder than before - by special request from TOYB.
There's also a new texture for the termite mound in the foreground. Up to now it's had the rock texture.
Morcroft Darkes
02-13-2011, 12:17 AM,

And now we have a gatehouse:

[Image: Corinth04.jpg]

This is the West gate of Corinth. Needs doors, obviously. That should be it for main wall sections now, but I'm planning for part of the exterior wall to be made up of the city's buildings - specifically something similar to the defensive design of Kasbah-style buildings - walled courtyards eg - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%C3%AFt_Benhaddou

The logic here is that Corinth is likely to have been the frontline city in the wars between Anequina and Pelletine and as such would have been well fortified. The Kasbahs would belong to the oldest families and pre-date the curtain wall.
Morcroft Darkes
02-13-2011, 12:28 AM,

I think what will look really nice is lots of brightly coloured banners/flag hanging from the walls -looking great so far, can't wait to see those Kasbah-style buildings!
02-13-2011, 12:32 AM,

Might have to ask you for the banner / flag artwork - not so much my field. But I agree our Khajiit would want to brighten the place up with so much dull red stone around.
Morcroft Darkes
02-13-2011, 12:44 AM,

I'm sure I can find some time to do that. What kind of emblem are you thinking Corinth should have?
02-13-2011, 01:01 AM,

I have exactly no idea ... that's why I'm asking you!

?(
Morcroft Darkes