Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daggerfall Arrangments
05-03-2006, 07:01 AM,
Daggerfall Arrangments
Hey everyone. I've just noticed that you were interested in my arrangements in the Daggerfall Music Project at one point. Now it looks like you might have more music composers than you need for ST but I thought you'd like to hear the latest two arrangements I've completed anyway, being the ginormous Elder Scrolls fans that you all are =).

The Virtuous
Pilgrim's Respite

I'm really looking forward to Silgrad Tower as I'm a fan of Wizard's Islands. Let me know if I can contribute in some way.

bobby
05-03-2006, 07:13 AM,

Hiya bobby, cool to see you found your way here, and welcome to Silgrad Tower!
:wave:

As much as I like to think of myself as a veteran Elder Scrolls fan, having discovered the series in late -01, I've sadly never played Daggerfall. That hasn't stopped me from enjoying your music though, and your latest pieces are as excellent as always. The intro of "The Virtuous" is breathtaking and mesmerizing Big Grin

Unfortunately it would seem Oblivion offers very little freedom to modders when it comes to music. It can be added, but there's little control over when and where it plays, so any tracks added would 'just' play randomly together with the standard game music. There is one possibility I can think of, and that is to make the music as .wav instead of .mp3, because making the game think they are sound effects instead of music should be able to fool it into playing it. Then again that would hurt the audio quality of the music, and/or substantially inflate the size of the mod, so it's not a perfect solution by any means... but in theory I think it can work. What do you think?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
05-03-2006, 07:21 AM,

PLEASE add your requests for more music options to the wiki's wish list! Then maybe they'll take notice enough to add some more functionality. :yes:

EDIT:
Beautiful arrangements, bobbyhood!
05-03-2006, 07:50 AM,

Yeah, it was like that with Morrowind as well X(. I don't know what controls Oblivion offers specifically, but in Morrowind you could script a song to start playing when an object is activated (for instance when you activate a door) then trick it into looping by forcing it to start the file over after a pre-specified period of time. However there was no way to control the volume, so it would reset to maximum every time it was activated, forcing you to adjust it manually again and again while playing the game. It was a bit annoying. If Oblivion has improved this at all then it would be *something* at least.

As for wav files, you could always decrease the size like you mentioned but it might degrade the quality too much considering how much you'd probably need to shrink it. I think mp3s would be the best bet. To me, cuing the music to play dynamically with the environment wouldn't be a high priority. It could potentially cause tedium in the gameplay.

Basically, if you could separate the mp3s into folders (for example: taverns, dungeons, adventuring, and battle), then that might be the best bet for gameplay as well as ease of scripting. There was a mod for Morrowind that added new tavern music which played randomnly while you were in the tavern or even at the request of the player in-game, so I would think that is an option in OB as well. And if it's possible in one interior then it should be possible in every interior I would think.
05-03-2006, 08:07 AM,

Oblivion gives you one option: put it into a predefined music type and hope it plays when you want it to. Sad As of right now, there is no way to call music on demand or add music types for world spaces.
05-03-2006, 09:34 AM,

grrr, someone mucked about with the settings here, know your music, been waitin to hear your version of my favorite Daggerfall theme, still have to wait till later. Let you know then.

PS High rock Somerset and the redguard Province are still to come, but I suspect that with the potential to localise sounds in Ob all the projects will welcome new works.

So set your creative bump to max, and remember to keep those horns and drums to the fore! After all it looks like several of the projects are going to have major conflict = martial music required.

Plus, consider that violins and such are more properly directed towards romance and civilian topics as main instruments - something that Jeremy Soule apparently ignored to his cost in Oblivion. Sad that after he created that wonderful opening 'Highland' theme for Morrowind.
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
05-03-2006, 07:23 PM,

If you're interested in doing stuff at Silgrad but think there are already enough composer for Silgrad join one of the sister projects like Elyswyr, Skyrim, Vvardenfell, or Black Marsh. BTW excellent music.
05-03-2006, 08:40 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by raggidman
Plus, consider that violins and such are more properly directed towards romance and civilian topics as main instruments - something that Jeremy Soule apparently ignored to his cost in Oblivion. Sad that after he created that wonderful opening 'Highland' theme for Morrowind.
Yeah... Oblivion's music just sounds like generic video game music.
05-03-2006, 09:05 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Siegfried
If you're interested in doing stuff at Silgrad but think there are already enough composer for Silgrad join one of the sister projects like Elyswyr, Skyrim, Vvardenfell, or Black Marsh. BTW excellent music.

I will definitely check out those projects. But if by any chance you stilll need a composer of original music for Silgrad then consider this my application!
05-03-2006, 10:10 PM,

Beautiful. Hah, some of the best offerings for ST but I only hear the direct play stuff. If it don't set itself up that's it for me.

The second piece has a very Spanish flavour, and a rich full-bodied texture.

Still not my flavorite ramblin piece though...

Suggest you just do stuff, and let the Core decide what fits in where.

The other projects are starting to show results, and I have no doubt tht once ST reaches a certain level that folks from ST will want to commit more time to them, so you have choices. Enjoy.
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman