Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daggerfall [Claimed by Deeza]
03-18-2010, 07:58 PM,
Daggerfall [Claimed by Deeza]
Coming soon...
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
06-19-2010, 06:08 PM,

*bump* This is a part of the "Daggerfall and environs" claim that is now in my responsibility.
08-14-2010, 03:25 PM,

Concerning the layout of the city, I'd like to discuss a few things. I was thinking about these districts:
- Waterfront (ships, houses of fishers, storehouses)
- Some dark alley (Thieves Guild and other shady stuff)
- big plaza (Temple, Fighters Guild, market stands, middleclass dwellings)
- workers' housing area (tanners, tailors, cobblers etc.)
- upperclass district (wealthy merchants, fine clothiers, alchemists, Mages Guild)

(The names aren't supposed to be the actual names of the districts.) They should all be roughly the same size, except for the dark alley, which would be smaller.

As you can see, I want to make the city less "functional" than the cities in Oblivion; guilds aren't all in one place, but scattered throughout the city, and you also can't just go to the "market district", sell your junk, and leave again without ever seeing the rest of the city.
So the first question is - do you think that's a good idea? And do you like the amount of districts and their purposes, or did you have something else in mind? (Note that upperclass, middleclass and workers' district doesn't mean that they look very different in their general layout; the difference would mostly be notable by the clutter in the streets and the width of the streets, stuff like that.)

Second question: Do you think there's a chance that we could make the waterfront a closed district? Otherwise I fear that performance will be a big issue, and the district will turn out comparatively boring.
It would be enough to place two walls into the sea at each side of the waterfront, and leave the side that goes out into the ocean open.

The main reason not to do it isn't that it wouldn't look beautiful, but that the players would be annoyed by not being allowed to go where they want to go. However, how often do you usually swim out to the open sea just to enter/leave a city, when there's a handy city gate right next to you? In a normal game, you wouldn't do that; it's just that people like to try out these things for fun. Personally, I don't think this outweighs the possibility of having a *real* waterfront with many ships, fishers, storehouses and maybe a brothel and a shipyard.

Edit: Oh, third question: For the waterfront, the Daggerfall tileset isn't so great, because it doesn't have any warehouses or docks. Maybe I could borrow some buildings from the Venice-style tileset from mr_siika (used for Wayrest, I believe?), or from the Anticlere tileset? I think they could be retextured to fit the other buildings easily.

Edit: Very rough layout of the city to show how I imagine it:
Map of Daggerfall City
- The dark alley would be the quickest way to get from the waterfront to the upperclass district, but the merchants living there rather let their wares take a detour through one of the safer areas.
- If you enter Daggerfall through one of the two the main gates, you find yourself in the beautiful and homely Temple/Marketplace district; the workers' district only has a small gate, the upperclass district maybe won't have a gate.
- the arrows indicate where you can go from one district. If you're at the Temple, you'll have to go to the upperclass or waterfront district before you can enter the workers' district or the dark alley.
08-14-2010, 04:24 PM,

Question1: That sounds like an excellent idea to me.

Question2: No need to put walls in. The dockyard could easily be made into a closed area by sticking an invisible barrier just slightly out to sea. Feels a little clunky, but should look great.

Question3: Have a go at retexing the jurad dock pieces (remember to make duplicates of each mesh first). At the very least we can use them as placeholders until we can find something better later on.

08-31-2010, 10:27 AM,

A status update, please. Smile

08-31-2010, 01:15 PM,

One of 5 worldspaces has its basic design. Clutter, vertex shading, and height mapping are still missing.

Currently working on the next worldspace.
08-31-2010, 04:28 PM,

That sounds fine to me. It's best to add those at the end anyway, so as to give each area a different feel.

01-03-2011, 01:34 AM,

This is just to announce that sadly, due to real life commitments, Fearabbit has had to withdraw this claim. I will now be taking over the planning for this city.