Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darkness Eternal's Models
08-10-2007, 09:10 PM,

It's a bit of an interesting issue, normaly a modeler's work is entirely free to be used as he sees fit, but that was our concept art. However, a good relationship with our modelers and our community is important to me, and I believe all here. Feel free to share with the Dune mod, though I have a request, its up to you if you think it's reasonable, could you not use the model for any trailer or teaser purposes, at least for a while, as it is a large part of the unique look we've been developiing for our Elsweyr, and we have a lot invested into it. I guess wha tI'm saying is, let us associate the model with us.

Wonderful work, looking forward to any more you may decide to do for us!
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
08-10-2007, 11:27 PM,

DA,

I've been thinking about the same issues you just brought up there ever since I made the model. Technically, it's Elsweyr's model, although I'm the modeller.

Generally speaking, this might be an interesting discussion for the global modding community. Let's say I browse a random gaming website and see a concept art and decide to model exactly after the concept. Who does the model belong to? I guess the politically correct thing to do would be to credit the concept artist for the idea or inspiration and claim the model as my own (the modeller).

Anyway, that aside, I'll make this particular model including the Astralisk exclusive to the Elsweyr community. However, the models I've made based on this concept, I'll release when done under normal conditions as a community release. I will however credit Kyoshu (spelling?) for his original idea and concept.

I think that way, Elsweyr has it's model based on the concept art and the entire community will benefit from a tileset based on the same concept.
Will that work?

~DE

P.s: The reason I'm getting so much into modelling is because I want the community to have more resources available to them. I see too many WIPs that either die or never get released and it's frustrating.
08-10-2007, 11:29 PM,

If your stuff is totally yours then you dispose as you see fit.

If your stuff was based on another's concept then it would be polite to contact the artist. if there is no reply from the artist then I think it is safe to assume that the work has been left with us for our use = go ahead!

About the moon(s?) temple that is one that needs research:

Where is the temple; is it still in use; who or what organisation is it connected to ???

Also you really need to read up about the 'lunar latice' - otherwise known as the Ja'Ka'Jay - and the connection with moon-sugar in Khajiit social and religious practices.

Ask JKJ or Krisi about more on that - I suppose there is a reason Ja'Ka'Jay chose that name. Wink We also have some bits and pieces of Khajiit Lore in our Lit/Lore sections.

A serious source of lore is 'The Imperial Library' - I use the link in the elderscrolls.com links / fan stuff section to get there

Hey, you are becoming an architect :eek: scaary eh? Big Grin
happy designing
raggidman
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
08-11-2007, 12:48 AM,

I completely agree about the community, and am guilty of trying to persuade silgrad to release the WIP dwemer tileset, as its something I think the entire community desires.

Anyway, I think that is perfectly fair, and seeing as the community has seen very few city mods at all, I doubt our unique nature will be threatened.

Thanks for the consideration, and I do believe this rout is most respectful to you as a modeler, the project as a whole, and to kyoushu, and I think we'll continue to use this method of handling the situation in the future.

DA.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
08-11-2007, 02:31 PM,

Here is my view of the issue: if you see some random CA wich you'd like to model you should ask the author (or if the author is no longer around the afiliated project or someone else in charge) if you can model it. if you end up modeling it is it your model, but you still have to credit the original CA. just because the concept belonged to someone dosent mean the model does.

As for resources, i entierly agree that the comunity needs some new stuff to play with. there is a lot of cool stuff being done by mods that isent going to get released soon but would be a huge contribution to the modding scene. thats why i love large, usable releases like your (DE's) and Prom's mods.

PS. hows the desert arch mod going? Tongue
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
08-11-2007, 10:20 PM,

Quote:PS. hows the desert arch mod going? Tongue

I'm getting very close to a final 1.0 release. I've been doing a lot of overhauling the past couple of days. Mainly a lot of texture mapping (sometimes I just tend to slap the texture on without mapping to see how it generally looks in game and then forget about it Tongue).
Also I've been doing a ton of optimizing for the release. Mainly just deleting polys that you'll never see - You'll be surprised, I've reduced large amounts of unseen polys on some of those meshes, obviously improving framerates.

The idea behind the 1.0 release is that it should be a final and polished product. Everything from that stage on would be considered an addon for it.

Also, the resources are now officially part of the DUNE mod, although they'll be released as a standalone package. The only difference it'll make to the modder is that all meshes are now placed inside a DUNE folder. In other words, the folder structure is really the only thing that ties it to DUNE, which is not needed to use these resources.

Anyway, I'm trying to get this done within the next couple of days. First though, I'm retexturing the Lunar Temple for Elsweyr so I can get it uploaded to them Wink

~DE
08-12-2007, 04:28 PM,

wow, exelent work. awaiting the release, the last one was very good (especialy for a beta). i expect that a lot of mods will be using the resource Tongue have you taken a look at the scale issue i mentioned in the beta thread?

08-12-2007, 07:27 PM,

For the most part, the scale issue has been fixed. However, Since you mentioned it, I payed very close attention to this issue when I made the modular interior sets. So, when you build your own house interior, there's no walls that are 5 times higher than you lol.

P.s: Sorry for diverting this thread into a non related topic...Let's please continue the conversation in either the WIP thread on the official forum or over at the Dune forum.

~DE
08-20-2007, 01:20 AM,
RE: Darkness Eternal's Models
Ok, I'm almost ready to upload these files. Only a few tweaks left to do and I should have the Lunar Temple up within the next couple days.

Btw, I've started to make variations of this concept and although I want to use them in the DUNE mod, I'm seriously thinking about making these exclusive to both mods only!

The reason for this decision is that I don't feel comfortable releasing something that's technically not my own idea (the original concept art) to the general public.

I'm trying to be as fair as I possibly can to both Elsweyr and the DUNE mod by making these resources only available to both those mods. This means I will not allow this to be used in any further public distribution outside of the mods they're dedicated to. In other words it will not be a public modder's resource like the other architecture I'm working on.

Anyway, here's a pic of a variation I'm working on:

[Image: DesertTomb03.jpg]
08-20-2007, 02:46 PM,

very nice! i like your choice of textures, very natural.