Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Arneson Dead
04-14-2009, 05:04 AM,
Dave Arneson Dead
Howdy

Sad news in the RPG world as we have found that Dave Arneson has past away from Cancer

For those of you who don't know who Dave is I will give you a brief overview

Dave was the creator of Blackmoor a very early rpg played with miniatures
During the time of this Dave developed the Armor Class system and the hip point system used in many RPG's today

Dave was also co-founder of the D & D series and Wizards of the Coast and several other RPG style games

Dave is also co-author of Thieves World

Dave was a brilliant campaigner and stratigist

He was deeply involved in the gaming industry and helped to develop many of building blocks to the games we play today

I knew Dave for a short period of time, in the mid 70's we did several campaigns together along with dozens of other gamers sometimes these games would go on for days (literally) as dungeon master he always provided us with superior challenges and mind boggeling puzzles

Though Dave had not been involved much in his last years he is an inspiration to all gamers

Even ES owes some of their creative talents to what he layed out in the past

He will be truly missed

Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
04-14-2009, 08:31 AM,

Farewell, Dave. I used to be involved in a little bit of desktop gaming myself although, as a Brit, this was always Games Workshop rather than D&D. However, I remember his name cropping up more than a few times. It says a lot that I should know of him. So you knew him personally then, Bob? Anyway....

R.I.P. Dave Arneson.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
04-18-2009, 03:09 AM,

Yea anyone who has been involved in gaming for sometime should have heard is name

Yes I met Dave in 1974 I was in San Fran with several others and Dave showed up, back then anytime a big campaign was going to take place
it seemed everyone knew about it and showed up to watch or play.

After that he came to several others and Headed up a few of them
Dave introduced me to my first Character A Dwarf named Igamn Goldsath, I played this character for 20 RL years before finally retiring
him at level 82

Some of the group I played with back then still get together for a weekend of gaming, I haven't been in sometime

Have you ever player Baldurs Gate, if so and your memory is better then mine you might recall places such as High Hedge, Beregost and Cloakwood, these places were all part of our gaming world actually alot of what is found in the BG series is taken for our groups game world

I never did find out which of our group sold us out but it doesnt matter

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
04-18-2009, 03:28 PM,

Interesting story, Bob. I kind of wish I'd been around the gaming scene in the 70s. There was a lot of fun and imaginative stuff around in those days....makes me nostalgic for the times when you had to use your imagination instead of having everything served up on a silver platter for you.

No, I keep hearing about Baldur's Gate but never played it. I returned to the modding scene about two years ago after having not touched games of any sort for many years....except for a bit of an unsuccessful modding appearance on the Thief scene for a short while. Oblivion brought me back.

If I have time I'll check BG out but I doubt it'll happen...
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]