Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decoration ideas for a rocky landscape
06-05-2007, 10:25 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
The Crystal should be saved for Telvanni. That's where the crystals in Morrowind are supposed to be

I don't have much to add that TID didn't cover already. I researched moldcaves while developing my set and deducted it was very common to see among other things crystals growing there, often accompanied by Luminous Russola and Violet Coprinus. Crystals were even found in caves in regions like the Ashlands (Yesamsi) and Molag Amur (Punabi). So I knew I was going to create those kinds of crystals when I mentioned it as a possibility, and it seems equally logical to have them above ground as well as below. But I'm not going to use them above-ground in this region because it just doesn't fit with the theme.

Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
How about something similar to the Jerrals? It would make sense, as both the Jeralls and that region are on the border of Skyrim

It doesn't border the Jeralls or Skyrim. To the north is Blacklight, to the west is the Velothi mountains. The Velothi mountains border pretty much everything south and west of our playable landmass.

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
well is the region volcanically active? Cause then you've just got to imitate the areas around red mountain, with lava, boiling mudpots, rocks, ect.

but I don't know that Silgrad Tower is volcanically active, at least anymore. Smokeholes prehaps... but i'd say that if you can make the rocks interesting not much else is needed. and by interesting, I mean giant ridges, small caves, ravines, ect ect.

I'd especially like to see some creature dens without doors on them, that are just made of boulders. Only question is what creatures live in desolate wasteland?

And I agree, large fields of crystals do feel more fantasy than TES is.

I don't suppose you could have any ruins?

OO! *raises hand* What if we got a model for the dead shells of silt-striders, and other things that chitin come from??? This can be the barren wasteland where large chitinous animals come to die. (For those of you who have seen the lion king, it's like the elephant graveyard) (those of you who haven't seen the lion king were deprived as children)

It answers the question of where redoran houses come from, AND looks really really cool!

Having a volcanic region is a really good idea, and I would like the opportunity to work on that kind of models when that time came, but I don't think this particular region is suited for that because the rocks and land textures look decidedly un-volcanic. Perhaps another region on our landmass could be suiting? It would be pretty cool to be able to create a lavastream tileset for custom rivers of fire Big Grin

Smokeholes could work though, because they don't have to be volcanic nor do they need to be explained very deeply, just gas billowing out from the earth. I might look into that. I already have one part of the model for it, because I modelled holes in the exterior world for lightbeam holes in the interior moldcave, so it'd just be a matter of me adding a smoke emitter to it.

Animal dens in the exterior world is a good idea too, I will certainly look into that! As you say, question is what kind of animals would live there... hmm *thinks* I used spiders outside my moldcave, perhaps we should continue that theme of spiders and insects for the region? Coupled with moth activators here and there to give them an imagined foodsource, maybe. Hey, maybe the moths are drawn to the smokeholes? Not sure what kind of food moths eat, but I would imagine players can believe that food is down in the make-believe cave the smokehole is connected to.

Ruins are a very interesting idea too. Maybe some kind of disaster struck the region thousands of years ago and all that's left is rubble. Maybe I should recreate the ruin models from TES3 and then we can dot ruined little villages here and there? Maybe some of them could be haunted, to give combat variety from the normal creatures of the region?

Silt Strider shells are a good idea but I don't see it as something that would affect modders very much because they could only occur so often before the player found it strange. But it would be cool to have them here and there once the model is completed Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]