Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deepen Meadows - Lorin-Pan Cavern [Completed]
07-29-2008, 10:54 PM,
Deepen Meadows - Lorin-Pan Cavern [Completed]
Lorin-Pan

Tileset: Moldcave
Number of levels: 2
Cells: DeepenMeadowsCavernLorinPanInterior00, DeepenMeadowsCavernLorinPanInterior01
Number of enemies: None
Exterior cell coordinates: (22, -16)

You'll need the 3.17 version of the ESM or higher to mod this location. Download the latest version here.

This cave is one of the few in the mod that won't have any enemies. This is because of the feeling of safety we want around Deepen Meadows' village. It is still expected, however, that there will be other types of challenges, and that the dungeon will maintain the player's interest. Scripting would be a very handy skill to have.

[Image: DeepenMeadowsCavernLorinPan.jpg]

[title]How should I go about modding the layout?[/title]
First, you’ll want to find Razorwing’s moldcave tileset under Static->ST->Dungeons->Moldcave. Please do not use Oblivion’s generic cave set - we want our entire landmass, dungeons included, to look less like Cyrodiil and more like Morrowind.

Now that you’ve found the tileset, drag the StRwMoldcaveSmTunnelExitNatural piece into the Render window and move it to coordinates 2048, 2048, 4800. That is going to be the dungeon’s starting point. Have two ramp pieces (under Static->ST->Dungeons->Moldcave->SmallTunnel) leading down from the entrance before modding the main part of your dungeon. Feel free to separate these ramp pieces with a few ordinary small tunnel pieces.

Now that you’re a bit farther underground, you can mod the dungeon layout to your liking. If you want to have water in your dungeon, you may change the cell’s settings. If you aren’t sure about how to use the moldcave tileset or where to find certain pieces, feel free to post your questions here in this thread.

In order to make the cave look interesting, you should place several static rock objects (Static->ST->Dungeons->Moldcave->Rocks). I personally, as a player, would like a cave better if it had at least three of these objects per tileset piece placed, but you can probably get away with one per tileset piece placed*. The main idea is to make sure there are enough objects to hold the player's interest. You can also use vines (Static->ST->Flora->Ambient->BitterCoast), cobwebs (Static->ST->Dungeons->Misc), and flora-type mushrooms (Violet Copringus, Luminous Russula, Mooncap, or Drogo Mushroom all found under Flora->ST->Flora->Shroom) in your cave.

The SoluthisLoc001 cells show how a good moldcave dungeon should look, so feel free to look at those if you need some ideas about how your dungeon should look.

*These numbers were rough estimates and may be subject to change later on.

[title]How should I handle loot and challenges?[/title]
Since there are no enemies in this cave (unless I approve an exception), there will need to be other types of challenges. These can include scripted puzzles, traps, and physical obstacles such as rocky areas that can be climbed.

Any loot should be at least a bit difficult to get to, whether it's an obstacle or a trap. There can be hidden gold, long-lost weapons and armor, and maybe a dead adventurer too (though be sure that it's obvious he/she didn't die in combat).

[title]How should I light the cave? [/title]
The idea behind this cave is that it is mostly natural and hasn't really been used by anybody yet. You'll probably want to place some glowing crystals (Activator->ST->Dungeons->Misc) or some Luminous Russula mushrooms (Flora->ST->Flora->Shroom->BitterCoast) and manually place lightbulb lights. You should also have a few ambient lightbulb lights placed where they are needed. I started a set of ambient lights which you can use; they are ID’d StIdMoldCaveAmb####. Try to have all lights guide the player through the dungeon. Try not to have more than 22 lights in a single dungeon cell.

[title]Anything else?[/title]
Add a pathgrid to the cave. Playtest the entire dungeon and make any necessary corrections before submitting it for review.
10-12-2008, 03:20 AM,

I know this is a little early since I'm almost finished with the claim in Deepen Moor, but may I claim this?

I have an idea to put a hidden tomb for an ancient warrior in this natural cave. The first level will be 3 puzzle rooms. These lead to the next level in the center, where there is an underground pond with the warrior's helmet and sword (not uber, of course). The puzzles will be somewhat hidden in the rooms so it looks like the designer built the puzzles into a natural cave system.
I just need to figure out what race and culture the warrior should hail from.
10-14-2008, 03:58 PM,

Sure! :check: It could be a few days before I can have a look at that other ESP, and I don't want to keep you waiting. Big Grin

As for where the warrior could hail from, the best choice (IMO) would be either a Redoran Dunmer of Morrowind (since we are in the Redoraan part of Morrowind), a Nord from Skyrim (since they were/are at war with the Dunmer, historically), or an Imperial from Cyrodiil (I'm sure there have been border conflicts in the past). Though adventurers from various places have traveled to Morrowind in the past, so really anything could work. it's up to you. Smile
10-15-2008, 12:59 AM,

Thanks! Big Grin
This will be the tomb of Muvras Teran, warrior of House Redoran.
10-19-2008, 10:01 PM,

Here is the first draft of the cave. Hope you enjoy! Big Grin Big Grin
10-19-2008, 10:03 PM,

Nice. Big Grin It might be a few days before I can get around to looking at this or the quest for the Deepen Moor cavern though, just so you know. I'll try to get to it as soon as I can.
10-19-2008, 10:07 PM,

Smile Take your time. I got coursework I really should get started on Big Grin
10-19-2008, 10:18 PM,

Thanks. Smile What kinds of challenges are in this cave?

Also, if you want to do more modding, there's plenty left to be done. Wink If you want to pick up another claim, you're quite welcome to do so.
10-20-2008, 12:52 AM,

I don't know how much detail you want me to get into so I'll just give an initial description of the challenges.

First you enter a room with a pond where the exit is on an unreachable ledge.

Next you get to a corridor with 2 falling rock traps that are next to impossible to traverse.

After that you enter a room with two doors and a funny looking stalagmite.

One door leads to the center room with the 'tomb' and treasures locked behind a puzzle.
The other door presents another puzzle and then leads the way out.

I placed quest stages throughout. The only problems I had were placing certain objects on the floor. When running the havok sim to place objects, sometimes they would be above the floor, but placing them at the level of the floor would mean they would fall through in-game.
10-20-2008, 10:23 PM,

I just realized I forgot the pathgrid. I'll make sure to add that when I revise the mod.