Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have 3D Studio Max v5-7 ?
08-11-2005, 08:05 PM,
Do you have 3D Studio Max v5-7 ?
I'd like to ask if someone here happen to have 3D Studio Max v5, v6 or v7 and would be willing to help me on a small matter. I have a dozen or so .max and .nif files which Greybeard graciously shared with me and allowed me to use in Silgrad Tower. The problem is the .max and .nif files were created with a later 3D Studio Max version than the one I have, which is v4.2, meaning they refuse to load. When opening any of his .max scenes the program complains that a dll is missing (which a google search confirmed is because the .max was created in a newer version). When importing any of the .nif files, the program complains that it ran out of memory and promptly CTDs. I've rarely encountered this problem before when it comes to community-made models.

So the short story is, would someone be willing to convert the .max models to the .3ds format (which I believe works independently of which 3DS version created it) for me?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-11-2005, 09:01 PM,

Go get a trial version of 7 so you can convert it.. then uninstall 7..
You dance to remember, I dance to forget
08-11-2005, 09:24 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Sunsetter
Go get a trial version of 7 so you can convert it.. then uninstall 7..

There's the small problem of there not being a trial version of 3D Studio Max Cool
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
08-11-2005, 09:50 PM,

Are you sure? I had a trial version of Max before, I learned the beginnings of Max on it..

First option on googleing: 3ds max trial

http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0049.017
You dance to remember, I dance to forget
08-11-2005, 10:23 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Sunsetter
Are you sure? I had a trial version of Max before, I learned the beginnings of Max on it..

First option on googleing: 3ds max trial

http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0049.017

I thought I was sure Blush

I didn't see any information on discreet.com about a trial version. I have a general conception that commercial special interest programs like that aren't available as trialware because it's so easy for hackers to remove the restriction, and when I didn't see any info there I just assumed that's how they did it.

I'm having trouble downloading the file though, so I guess I'm back to the original question.
Angel mired in filth
10-07-2005, 07:00 AM,

Sure ill do it for you i got max 7 never learned to use it becuse doesent have a nif export but like i said ill vonvert them for you upload them to a site for me or email them to me at xchaosdragon666x@gmail.com
unless some one already did this for you if so sry for bothering you and let me know so i can remove my email

edit: Or you could try gmax not sure if it reads max files though or if it can convert lol
but here is the link sir
http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
10-07-2005, 12:10 PM,

i can do that if ya need me to
The keeper of the one and only Evil Beagle.
10-07-2005, 07:09 PM,

Danath_in: Thanks for offering! xchaosdragon666x posted first though, so. But I appreciate the thought Smile

xchaosdragon666x: Thanks! I've attached a 7zip archive containing the .max scenes and additional textures Greybeard used. If you could post the .3ds files as an attached archive when you're done that'd work great I think. :goodjob:
Angel mired in filth
10-07-2005, 09:00 PM,

there was one proplem when converting them to 3ds and importing them may be due to the fact that i cant use the tes shader but the proplem is when importing them into any modeling program is that it shows the colision box but im sure you can fix that simply
And to make sure it just wasent max i also tested with milk shape
it always shows the box around the item
but other than that they work perfectly
and since i didnt have all the textures used it showed black where i didnt have the texture so let me know how they work okay?

Edit: if i can help with anymore conversions let me know
And i think i did my fair share of work today made a icon making guide and did these conversions for you hehe\

Last edit i think:
for some reason in the max file they all refered to the g:\ drive lo
So you may have to fix that but not surel
10-07-2005, 10:05 PM,

Thanks, but it didn't work. The models appear completely black and doesn't complain about missing textures when I render them (they render completely black too), which seems to indicate they lost all their mapping information.

Thanks for trying though, I appreciate it.
Angel mired in filth