Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dream/nightmare side quest
03-06-2006, 01:31 AM,
Dream/nightmare side quest
I was thinking about the painting quest today. While it sounds really childish and kiddy, think of the possibilities it opens up. Here's my line of thinking:

You are wandering through the wilderness when you start running into some oddities. Maybe some piles of things like in the 6th house bases, etc. but outside. you continue on the path and they start to get more frequent until you run into a rundown and generally creepy house. Inside there is a man babbling about nothing. He mentions a potion to avoid during one of his more lucid moments. amid his clutter you find one. Doing what anyone else would do, you drink it.

Immediately you feel tired. Sleep comes on and after a moment you begin to dream. It's a dark and twisted world of the surreal. It mirrors the cottage and the surrounding area but everything is larger or smaller than real life, there are no straigh lines as if it's something out of "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari":
[GALLY]2006-03-06_geraldduval_dreamquest_1_caligari2.jpg[/GALLY] [GALLY]2006-03-06_geraldduval_dreamquest_2_dcabine.jpg[/GALLY] [GALLY]2006-03-06_geraldduval_dreamquest_3_cabinet.jpg[/GALLY]

There are strange noises and new apparitions. All of the tree's around the cabin are bent as if trying to get away. And again you meet the crazy man, but this time he's healthy and strong, like what he would have been had he not taken the drug and lost his mind. You have to help him fight his way out of his own nightmare and regain his sanity.

obviously I'm not the best of story tellers, but you get the Idea. We can take some thing silly that would belong in a kids game and turn it into a small, dark, and twisted trip into insanity...
03-06-2006, 01:42 AM,

what have you been smoking? damn! give me some!

...very good idea man, I think that would be cool... maybe a very hidden quest that you could only get if you find that mansion.... in the middle of nowhere
03-06-2006, 09:15 PM,

Everybody here seems to miss it this time. Since this is your first posting: Welcome to ST! :wave:

That man could have been cursed by Sheogorath...or he could be Sheogorath himself. But then it would be the player, who would have to find a way out of his own nightmare...

Another possible connection is with the Daedra Vaernima, whose sphere is the realm of dreams and nightmares.

For the old mod Kalikut did a fantastic dreamworld, which I think was never implemented. Also there were several quest ideas around Sheogorath/Lorcan.

Z.
Squirrel, squirrel, canst thou see? There?s a Snow Elf behind thee!
03-06-2006, 09:23 PM,

Ooh, tying this in with ole sheogy would be a great idea. It would fit a lot better also
03-07-2006, 12:53 AM,

yeah and it would be interesting to have someone change some origonal models and kinda twist them up a bit. like in some of the pics he had.
I know, I know... it has been a while...
03-08-2006, 03:35 AM,

Sheogorath would be excellent, i didnt even think about that!

I was thinking about this quest, trying to iron out the story details, and i came up with an even better (if not more contemporary) example of the dream world: American McGee's Alice. For those of you who've played the game, that style is exactly what i see in my head in terms of nightmare visuals. The whole Orphanage/sanitarium level especially, Imagine that with next gen graphics and more immersion!

As i get more story details figured out i'll post them here. In the mean time i am more than open to any suggestions...
03-12-2006, 03:01 PM,

I think the dream world needs to be black and white (and a lot of gray shades), like in those pictures. It would be very interesting visually, and would show a difference between this dream world and the real world...

Just my two cents...
03-12-2006, 06:40 PM,

Sounds like an intriguing adventure you got there, Gerald. One that would require a lot of work, but if you're up to it I don't think it would break immersion and it sounds to me like it'd be a lot of fun to play. Will you be looking for modellers and texture artists to lend a hand?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-12-2006, 07:40 PM,

I don't think building a dreamworld would need new models and textures. Kalikut did it mostly with stuff at hand. He had some really weird house interiors just be rotating stuff, or making things bigger or smaller... :eek:
Squirrel, squirrel, canst thou see? There?s a Snow Elf behind thee!
03-12-2006, 07:41 PM,

Angling things strangley gives the deception of warping...