Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dres and Indoril names
11-09-2007, 02:44 AM,
Dres and Indoril names
I recently recieved a PM regarding the name generator on our website, and while I was tweaking it I noticed the item in the mini-faq relating to Dres and Indoril names. I phrased myself like that when I wrote it because we wouldn't really have any Dres or Indoril NPCs in our mod anyway, and so it wasn't terribly important.

But when I thought about it again, we could concievably have Dres/Indoril NPCs if we wanted to. Travellers, explorers, adventurers, you name it - they're not unlikely to make it up to our parts of Morrowind. So you couldn't say there will absolutely not be any Dres/Indoril in ever in our mod... and if there are, they probably need names.

So I thought we could have a fun discussion about what kind of names they would have. One way or other they would kinda have to be different since Houses are groups of large families. How would their surnames be different from Dunmer of other Houses in your opinion? In other words what kind of theme would their naming convention go by. If a suggestion gains popularity, send over a list of names to me and I'll feed it into the generator Big Grin
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
11-09-2007, 03:15 AM,
RE: Dres and Indoril names
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
But when I thought about it again, we could concievably have Dres/Indoril NPCs if we wanted to. Travellers, explorers, adventurers, you name it - they're not unlikely to make it up to our parts of Morrowind. So you couldn't say there will absolutely not be any Dres/Indoril in ever in our mod... and if there are, they probably need names.

There's a family from Dres territory in Ald Nium. Right now, their name is Sadrith ("mushroom" in Dunmeris, actually Big Grin), but I'd be more than happy to change it if we decide on a naming system for Dres NPCs.

Lets see...

From the first pocket guide:
Quote:Clan Dres rules the southern sweep of Morrowind, where the fertile Deshaan plain merges with the swamps of Black Marsh. The Dres are the great slave-traders and plantation owners of Morrowind. Thousands of wretched captives, mainly Argonians but including not a few khajiits and even Imperial citizens, pass through the infamous slave-pens of Tear, the Dres capital, from whence most find an early death on the plantations which surround that ill-omened city.

House Indoril is very much like House Redoran, in fact, House Indoril is an even stronger supporter of the Tribunal Temple than House Redoran is. If I may put forth one idea, maybe the names of Indoril NPCs could be based on the syllables in the names of Dunmer saints like Delyn, Olms, Veloth, Llothis, Rilms, Seryn, Aralor, Felms, Roris, Meris, and Nerevar.
[INDENT][/INDENT] - For example, one combination could be Velyn (Veloth and Delyn).
11-09-2007, 04:48 AM,

We should have some family naming for the Dres and Indoril clans, even if they won't be used much

The names I would think would be no different than any other Dunmer name, except that as the Dunmer seperated into groups, (Great Houses) certain families would have stayed tied to those houses, also they had a greater affiliation with the Tribunal. As TID pointed to the names of the saints, it is quite possible that these family names are connected with house Indoril,especially in the case of Nerevar since this house is his
House.

Dres would be no different with respect to the above, however with Dres we must also consider the possible bloodline crossing with vampires and of course their geographic location to Argonia, it is possible that their family names may be more suited to those, if you look in the 36 sermons of Vivec it is believed that a Dres named "Khizumet-e" may have been the founder of the house, the name itself sounds more Daedra than anything but it also has elements of a more Vampiric Heritage. Being close to Argonia and having slaves to work their field's it wouldn' suprise me if land owners mated with some of their slaves, in this case the family names might have that 2 name or 3 syllable sound

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
11-09-2007, 03:40 PM,

Does house Indoril ownes slaves, according to the old dunmer customs?
11-14-2007, 10:20 PM,

I like TID's idea for Indoril names, and Bob's idea for Dres names Big Grin

Maybe we should wait a few days to see if others like to pitch ideas, but after that would you guys be interested in making surname lists for respective House? All that's needed is a list of names separated by a comma. I think a good number would be 10-20 names.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]