Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dumac [Finished]
03-28-2008, 01:33 AM,

Ampules and Draggle-tails aside, i'm pretty happy with the preset i've made. Here are some screenshots, as well as the ESP with the preset.

The total region which will be covered by this is actually quite small, so i fully intend to make it extremely swampy and marshlike, adding the Ampules and Draggle-tails, as well as Hyphia Facia and Bungler's Bane. From what i've seen in the CS, i'm fairly confident it will actually take less work to hand-place the Ampules and Draggle-tails than it would to force them into a preset, and it will look 10x better.

I'll post separate ESPs for the Steadhelm transition, the Deepen Meadows Transition, and the Dumac mountain-thing when i make them. I think that they can be merged to the ESM separately, and then their regions generated all at one time in an ESP, so that i can make sure that everything is in the correct place. Sound good?
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
03-28-2008, 01:59 AM,

I had just a quick look.

The Slough Fern is sunk a little deep. The preset doesn't seem to have a lot of objects per cell. I'd throw small and medium-sized rocks into the mix.
03-28-2008, 02:03 AM,

Right, i'll see if i can adjust the radii to get more of the trees to actually spawn around the rocks they're children to.

Forgot about the medium rocks.

Any other tips on things to put in there? It did seem a tad bit sparse in some places, even for a transition to mountains.

I'm going to be away for the weekend unfortunately, so i won't be able to revise it till next week (and spring break's ending, damn)
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
03-28-2008, 09:58 PM,

Ampoule pods and codaflowers are meant to be near pools and water.
Rocks nr 17,18,19, 27,28 and 29 are the largest rocks. 16 and 26 are quite big rocks also.
03-29-2008, 11:37 AM,

It's easiest to look at something and think "Hey, [ObjectX] would look very nice here" after you've added everything else you were planning to. At least I think so.

You might want to look at some of the screenshots in a Bitter Coast claim for ideas.
03-29-2008, 03:00 PM,

Is there any way to reduce the amount of light in a cell? Because i think one of the large differences is the lighting, in that it was much darker in Morrowind than oblivion, which especially makes a difference in a swamp.

Also, i saw The Modax Jago's making new bitter coast models. Is that something i'll be able to use in the near future? (basically, should i wait for them?) Cause they look much closer to Morrowind's trees, which had broad, flat groups of leaves.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
03-29-2008, 03:16 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
Is there any way to reduce the amount of light in a cell? Because I think one of the large differences is the lighting, in that it was much darker in Morrowind than oblivion, which especially makes a difference in a swamp.
Through weather types (I think), it should be possible. I haven't really looked into it yet.

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
Also, I saw The Modax Jago's making new bitter coast models. Is that something i'll be able to use in the near future? (basically, should I wait for them?) Cause they look much closer to Morrowind's trees, which had broad, flat groups of leaves.
I was actually going to ask you to wait after you got everything else done. Tongue That way, it should only be a matter of replacing a few objects in your preset, and maybe a few other adjustments.

That, and I'm not sure what they'll end up looking like or how they'll be set up yet.
04-16-2008, 06:00 PM,

Are TMJ's trees complete? I've been holding off on development until they're finished, because as i've learned, changing one thing in a preset changes everything else.

I'd really like to get back to work on this, and i'm sure you guys do to. So any updates?
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
04-16-2008, 07:47 PM,

As for the trees: I'm doing the UV mapping and ev1 is doing the textures. I think he's almost happy with his first tex. I'll step up the mapping pace so you can look at the models at least initially and see if the rough cuts will work for you. The guy to ask would be sandor, but I think it's pretty simple to swap out the rough first version with a polished second version if the geometry stays the same.

A note and a question:
  • These are statics, not SpeedTree trees.
  • For these models, the (0, 0, 0) point is right at the bottom of the tree and roughly centered in the XY plane. Does that work for region generation?

Having a moment,
Steve
04-16-2008, 09:02 PM,

I'm not quite sure on the difference between speedtrees and normal objects, but i don't think it should matter for CS purposes. I think the game just has an easier time rendering speedtrees in the distance, because they pop in and out of being 3-dimensional and whatnot.

If you put the models in the CS, and then UV and texture them later, i don't think it will effect the region generation at all, though i imagine it would just be more convenient to place everything in at once.

What i can't do is swap out two different models, so i can't just put the new trees in to replace the old trees, and keep all the same settings in the preset. It just won't work, things get weird.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala