Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dungeons, dungeons, dungeons...
08-07-2008, 01:18 AM,
Dungeons, dungeons, dungeons...
Yes, dungeons:

When I think "akavir"(as a whole) I automatically think something atmospheric, mostly, exotic, thrilling and new, akavir needs to be somthing special, morrowind(vvardenfell) had it's dark and dusty theme(not my favourite, but it made a fitting atmosphere), oblivion(cyrodiil) was repetitive(mostly) of all existing plants and creatures, it was nice, though, what sucks is the dungeons, surely 80<% of quests are in dungeons or mehrune's plane, cloned, repetitive dungeons, dark, foggy and with a "dark" music, that combined with the fasttravel feature makes it extremely boring and repetitive after a long time.

So I have gathered together some ideas to remove this annoying "dark, repetitive dungeon feeling"

-Less sinister cave/dungeon music: The dungeon "music" in vanilla with eccho and drops does just not feel well after a long time spent inside one.

-No fast travel: Fast travel might be useful, but it makes the player only find a cave and then travel there by fast travel, will neglect the player's adventures in akavir's beautiful nature. Contributes to a even higher % time spent in dungeons.

-Less accurate quest marker and no quest marker inside indoor cells: Will make the player more immersed in the game, by actual searching, and no boring blind run for the marker in dungeons.(Example: Quest miscarcand: I have arrrived at miscarcand, a large ayleid ruin, where martin marked it on my map, now I have to find the entrance to proceed further.**mapmarker disappears** When entrance is found: I have entered miscarcand, now I should go further in serach of the great welkynd stone" instead of vanilla where you just follow the marker.)

-Brighter "happier" dungeons: At least I feel more comfortable in brighter places, I mean rock caves should be dark, but others should be more like dwemer/daedric dungeons in morrowind.

-"Not all castles are ruins, most are populated, even fewer are underground": Says itself, right...

-Dungeon stories: Many of the dungeons in oblivion are just dangerous holes, some few do actually have a story, anyone remember the first time they entered vilverin, how immersive it was to discover the secrets of the ruin, with logs and all.(It even bypassed the sad music, light and colors) And it wasn't even quest related! Not all dungeons need a story, how fun is a huge marauder v bandit deathmatch to watch? or goblin tribe war?(back to the map marker point: players running after the mapmarker like madmen normally don't notice such tings if they don't use sneaky characters)

-Last but not least: More quests in cities, and wilderness: it isn't nescessaryly said it doesn't involve hammers and stuff...
08-17-2008, 11:43 AM,

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of that, it was decided (a long time ago) to get rid of the fast travel option.
I'm not sure what could be done with the rest of your suggestions, but they make sense and I like them.
But the way things are now, I would just be sattisfied if we actually got something finished first, a lot of your suggestions are very low priority, they are just small details.
Akavir mod leader.