Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunmer banner textures
03-24-2009, 03:38 PM,

Thanks. Okay, I thought 3x the original looked good. I didn't really think about it... I guess that's what you get after a while without texturing :eek:

The original didn't have a spot where it ended, so I didn't make one either.

Actually, I had stone in mind when I made the texture Big Grin. Again, it was hard to see on the original, but I can give you the background if you want it. Actually it isn't really a texture, but some brushwork with a texture overlay, so I don't really know what you want.
I used the same brushwork on the second sign, but I moved the texture overlay, so it looked a bit different.

Could you please specify what you want exactly (the transparency, and the "leather" texture)? Smile. I turn out to be quite bad at understanding people Big Grin
[Image: 2copy.jpg]
"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"
03-25-2009, 03:46 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by n00biepl0x
The original didn't have a spot where it ended, so I didn't make one either.

You're right Smile It was probably the partially-visible black square in your texture that gave me the idea that strengthening the uneven border to fit with the transparancy would make it look even better. I still think it would, but it's ok if you don't want to.

Actually, I had stone in mind when I made the texture Big Grin. Again, it was hard to see on the original, but I can give you the background if you want it. Actually it isn't really a texture, but some brushwork with a texture overlay, so I don't really know what you want.

Ahaa, ok. Yes ideally the background should look like leather, barring that then any type of cloth material. But I think the background is really good as it is, and I do want a copy of it. I plan to make a normal map based on it. Also would it be okay if you used the same background on both textures? That way I can make it so they share nornal map (which saves a bit of video memory).

By texture I mean the whole image; I use it because Bethesda named their folder of dds files that way.

Could you please specify what you want exactly (the transparency, and the "leather" texture)? Smile. I turn out to be quite bad at understanding people Big Grin

Sure Smile

As for the leather texture, I meant the beige-brown background of your image.

As for transparancy, please check out this dds. You can open it with nVidia's WTV program for a quck glance, or naturally you can open it in Photoshop as well. The file actually has two images, where the second image is stored in the alpha channel. To add an alpha channel to an image, open the Channels window (Windows > Channels). Click the third icon from the left at the bottom of that window, called 'Create New Channel'. Now your image has an alpha channel. In this alpha channel, please paint the part of the image that will be visible white and the parts that will be invisible black.

Then please blur the edges with Gaussian Blur so that there's a 2 pixels wide transition of gray between the black and white part (which will allow for a smooth blending at the edges, done automatically by the game). The dds file I uploaded to rapidshare doesn't have this kind of smoothing, which is an oversight that I should fix when I get the chance. But for an example of the blur please check out almost any texture in Oblivion\Data\textures\plants (like this one).
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-25-2009, 08:55 PM,

Ok, thats clear enough Big Grin
I never knew the blur part.. Anyway, would you like an alpha channel like the God Banners had? (with the (random) torn edges?)
03-25-2009, 10:30 PM,

Ok, thats clear enough Big Grin
I never knew the blur part.. Anyway, would you like an alpha channel like the God Banners had? (with the (random) torn edges?)

Which god banners are you thinking of? I like the soft curves in the transparancy of BannerDunmerShopBooks01.dds (to take an example), because I think it makes it remind of a leather hide shape. Smile
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
03-26-2009, 10:05 AM,

I meant the banners I made earlier
03-26-2009, 09:04 PM,

I meant the banners I made earlier

Aah, yes. I like their transparancy, which I think plays into the impression they're made of cloth. But the shop banners aren't so for them a very wavy curve would be better.
Angel mired in filth
03-27-2009, 03:08 PM,

I understand you would like something like this:
http://elchem.kaist.ac.kr/vt/chem-ed/lig...-waves.gif
basically
Maybe a bit distorted or something. I don't know exactly what we're trying to achieve now. I've seen the book texture now, that was very nice.

About the blur, I'm stull not a fan of blurs, are you sure that'd look better?

And I could "fuse" the two backgrounds, and if you'd like, I could make a shared normal map for you, maybe a cloth texture over it, but not in the visible texture itself.
I forgot also, would a normal map need a special alpha channel?

Okay, those are my questions..
03-29-2009, 11:03 PM,

I understand you would like something like this:
http://elchem.kaist.ac.kr/vt/chem-ed/lig...-waves.gif
basically
Maybe a bit distorted or something. I don't know exactly what we're trying to achieve now. I've seen the book texture now, that was very nice.

About the blur, I'm stull not a fan of blurs, are you sure that'd look better?

Sure that wave countour will problaby make for a good transparancy map.

I'm sure it needs a one or two pixel wide gray border between the white and black part of the transparancy map. It keeps the visible texture from looking pixelated.
Angel mired in filth
03-30-2009, 12:45 PM,

And I could "fuse" the two backgrounds, and if you'd like, I could make a shared normal map for you, maybe a cloth texture over it, but not in the visible texture itself.
I forgot also, would a normal map need a special alpha channel?

Okay, those are my questions..
Could you comment on that, also?

And Would the wave need to be a bit distorted? And would it also need to be on the sides and top?

Sorry for so many questions, but thanks for answering them, anyway.
03-30-2009, 04:02 PM,

The transparancy in the dds file I uploaded is perfect, aside from lacking a grey border. Feel free to copy it.

I'd like to make the normal map since I can use CrazyBump to do it, which gives much better results than using the nVidia plugin. So, that's why I wanted the background texture and why I would prefer if both your image files had the same background. Smile

Post 'em up when you're finished and I can get back to you with in-game screenshots and possibly more feedback.
Angel mired in filth