Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Bikes
06-01-2008, 08:53 PM,
Electric Bikes
Does anyone here have any experience with using electric bikes?

I live in the U.S., and I'm looking at something with an electric motor with a top speed of 20mph because otherwise it needs a driver's license, motorcycle license, and dmv registration-- I don't have a license, I never have even though I'm well over 16, and I can't get one for at least another year under my state's laws. My biggest concerns are how long the bike will last overall (I'd like to go at least 2 years without any replacements aside from batteries), and then range-- most bikes claim they can go 20-25 miles, but I'm not sure if that is at top speed. If possible I'd like to get ahold of something with a range closer to 30 miles.

Right now I'm looking at either the XB-508 or the XB-600.

They seem to be the most prevalent machines out there, I like the design and I need something that is basically designed to be a scooter, but has pedals and a chain to make it qualify as an ebike. They're also fairly cheap. However, I have heard a number of complaints that the box has come damaged in the mail-- sometimes the bike has been intact, other's it has not, this may be more related to the middle man though.
06-03-2008, 09:52 PM,
RE: Electric Bikes
Anyone?
06-04-2008, 04:53 AM,

I would suggest getting an LPG one, or a hybrid Electric-LPG, because you can go longer and faster (and LPG is still cheaper than petrol, and it's also Greener).

And I also suggest going to a dealer rather than getting it shipped/mailed. Alot of the time they are infact the same price, and even if it's more, it's better to know what you're getting and that it won't be broken when you get it.
06-04-2008, 05:23 AM,

What state is this?

In Texas as long as its 50cc or under its not a class M, so if you get say... a 50cc aprilia with a 70cc kit, you have registered 50cc bike that will take you 50-65 mph.

Then again, its Texas.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
06-04-2008, 05:39 AM,

Hmmm, I would like to get an LPG but the big thing comes back to speed-- because of my state's stupid driving laws I need to get something that maxes at 20mph, the LPGs that I've seen all appear to go over that 20 mph limit.

I think I've found one dealer in a city near me-- I live in the states though and ebikes haven't caught on as much around here. If I can I'll go to a dealer, the trick though will be finding one that carries what I need.

Thanks for the advice bro :goodjob:

Edit: This is in Colorado