Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elsweyr OST Collection
09-19-2011, 02:15 PM,

Cool !

As a starter for the environment you won't a better set of screenshots than the discussion thread for Tenmar Forest That's got a pretty good overview of Tenmar - mostly from preliminary test runs of the region generation, but it still looks much the same now.

Tenmar makes up most of Pelletine anyway and we haven't modded much down there since the version of the mod you downloaded before. Probably going to do an update in the next week or so if you want to look at it again.

Instrumentation I think will need input from TOYB - he probably has ideas.
Morcroft Darkes
09-19-2011, 03:05 PM,

Alright thanks =) I'll have a look.

A bit of an update for you guys, I just now purchased EastWest's Symphonic Orchestra Platium Plus and it should arrive in my mail in a few days or weeks time. Once I've got it I'll see how well my computer can run it and then maybe upgrade the sounds of the tracks I've made so far.

If all goes well I'll be using the VST fulltime for Elsweyr.
09-19-2011, 03:17 PM,

I'll hold off on embedding the soundtrack so far into the Alpha release: Sounds like an upgrade's on the way!!

:goodjob:
Morcroft Darkes
09-20-2011, 12:40 AM,

Pellitine is more cosmopolitan, more dense, and more depressing in sound than Anequina -avoid the use of flutes (especially panflutes, because this will give the feeling of ancient south america, which will be too sterotypical).

Listen to a bit of traditional Vietnamese music (or general South Asian music) and traditional Indian music -we want it to feel "busy" (more so for the 'city' tracks, but even the explore tracks should have that feeling you're walking in the foot steps of many others), though still retaining some of the flavour built up in the Anequina tracks (though, sparingly use the guitar).

Another thing to take into account, is that it rains a whole lot more in the south, and it's often very gloomy (you can rarely can see the sky/sun while in the jungles).

Morcroft: Yes, I think that the Valenwood border regions do deserve their own tracks, the feeling you have there should be seperate to Anequina/Pellitine (though closer to Pellitine in sound), having a more uneasy feeling to the sound, as if someone were watching you (given it's an area of conflict between Valenwood/Elsweyr -you should feel on your toes).
10-04-2011, 09:18 AM,

Right. There are huge delays in the shipping of my EWQL copy; it's still pending fulfillment.

So I'll continue writing pieces with the current libraries for now so not to stall completely.

I'll be starting on Pellitine later today.
10-04-2011, 04:09 PM,

Wrote a very short concept for Pelletine Overworld (day): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18111218/Elsweyr...oncept.mp3

I didn't put much thought into any melody, I just wanted to see if I got the feel right, so do feel free to slaughter it if you don't like it Tongue

I know you said to avoid the use of flutes, TOYB, but I put in some anyway for texture just to see what it'd sound like. Might ditch them as I write.
10-04-2011, 05:53 PM,

I like the overall feel - maybe a touch too frenetic for an exploration theme, but only a little. Usual issue with the brass, I think, but definitely a good start.

If the new sound libraries are going to take a while maybe I'll include the existing release candidates in the alpha.
Morcroft Darkes
10-04-2011, 07:32 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
I like the overall feel - maybe a touch too frenetic for an exploration theme, but only a little. Usual issue with the brass, I think, but definitely a good start.

If the new sound libraries are going to take a while maybe I'll include the existing release candidates in the alpha.

I just got word that the package has been picked up & is on its way. Almost a month after I'd ordered it b:

I'd say put the release candidates in for now. We can always patch in the updated soundtracks right?
10-04-2011, 08:24 PM,

That's good news.

Quote:We can always patch in the updated soundtracks right?
Oh yes, no problem - I'll just need to take a view on whether to embed the music in the main resources BSA or make a separate one. If we're going to revise the soundtrack then I should make it separate to save on big file transfers.
Morcroft Darkes
10-05-2011, 06:47 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
That's good news.

Quote:We can always patch in the updated soundtracks right?
Oh yes, no problem - I'll just need to take a view on whether to embed the music in the main resources BSA or make a separate one. If we're going to revise the soundtrack then I should make it separate to save on big file transfers.

I'd suggest doing so anyway, just in case we decide to add/revise music even after the mod is released, save people having to DL the whole mod again to update! Save ourselves some work before we even know if we'll need it, aye?