Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epics of the Silgrad Tower Community
12-24-2008, 03:42 PM,
Epics of the Silgrad Tower Community
Over the years many dramatic epics have been submitted to Silgrad Tower's Literature department, sadly many of which are in my opinion much too long to be suitable for the game's book format, which only allows a few words per page. In my opinion these works of fan fiction are best when read on their own terms, rather than crammed into the tiny in-game books, and so I present here a selection for the reading pleasure of the community:

Fountain of Youth
The Beauty IS the Beast
All's Fair in Love and War
May and December
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
12-24-2008, 04:32 PM,

If they are too long for a single book you could split them into multiple volumes. Many people will probably be using UI mods that allow much more text per page anyway, so it may not be as big an issue as you think.
12-24-2008, 04:38 PM,

That's a point. I'm waiting for a final decision from Razorwing on this at the moment.

12-24-2008, 11:08 PM,

I would be a poor judge when it comes to books. I like them from an objective viewpoint and I can see their value to many players of our mod. But they don't interest me personally, so I wouldn't want to be in a position of reviewing books in any way because I don't have an intrinsic interest in it to be able to give a fair assessment of their quality.

Having said that, I do think length is a negative factor. Not because the book itself becomes too long but because it adds so much data to the main esm. But I don't see that as an absolute rule, and if a particular book is important in a quest or will be used a lot in our mod then the length if it isn't as important in my humble opinion. Personally I like books that have a high "clutter value", i.e. books that we can put in any Dunmer home, both because it increases the fun of modding and because the player is likely to get to read the book.

Deeza, how much data space do you think the four books you listed would take up? I.e. how many characters/bytes would each book or book series have.

(On a technical note, a problem with the database occured when we switched servers in September -07 which caused several different special characters to be replaced by a question mark, which is seen in among other things the book text for Fountain of Youth.)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
12-26-2008, 12:49 PM,

Yes, I already noticed the question mark glitch. I have fixed it for all the books I have finished reviewing (which is most of them now).

I'll get back to you on how much space they take up.