Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FG Quest]: Goblinful of Trouble
03-23-2008, 05:08 PM,
[FG Quest]: Goblinful of Trouble
EDIT: Changed the name of the quest from "Goblin Trouble", another in Vanilla OB has the same name.

Refanda the Mighty's first quest for the player will be a classic one. A nearby mine is having problems with goblins. In fact, the goblins took over the whole mine. A contracter wants a fighter to go into the mine and kill off twenty goblins. There will be a bonus for each additional goblin killed. Refanda warns the player to go into the mine with a lot of potions and repair hammers because he/she will need them.

At the site, Garyna Valno explains that they didn't have problems with goblins until one day when they started climbing out of an underground pit at the center of the mine. She hired mercenaries to close the area off but the goblins were too fast. They took over the mine and killed most of the miners.

She thinks that if enough of the goblins are killed, they will decide to run away. She tells the player to go into the mine and kill as many goblins as he/she can, and that she won't pay if the player comes out before twenty goblins are dead. When the player is ready, he/she goes in.

I'm not sure whether I should put a limit on the number of goblins that can spawn in the mine, but the idea is that there will be a really big number of goblins in there, and the longer the player can survive, the bigger the reward. The dead goblins will be replaced when the cell is changed.

So that the mine doesn't get boring quickly, there will be nine hopefully very different combat areas (sections 2 through 10 on the map). Would anyone be interested in picking up one of the sections as a claim? I'm thinking of setting them up as dungeon claims, but we'll see how that goes. Each cell should contain around five goblins every time the player enters.

[Image: CaveMap.png]

If the player kills just twenty, the reward will be two FG reputation points and one hundred gold pieces. Each additional goblin killed will earn the player 3 gold pieces up until fifty goblins are killed. After that, it becomes two, and after one hundred dead goblins it becomes one gold piece per goblin killed.

The repuation points earned will also depend on how many goblins are killed:

Less than 20 goblins = 1 point (just for trying)
20 goblins = 2 points
40 goblins = 3 points
70 goblins = 4 points
100 goblins = 5 points

In the end, it won't matter how many goblins are killed. The goblins will come back and the Empire (or whoever controls the mine) will just decide to leave it. The player can go back into the mine, but there won't be a reward for killing the goblins.

Refanda the Mighty will thank the player (unless less than twenty goblins were killed) and offer the next contract.
04-07-2008, 02:08 AM,

I've got the quest working. There will be an infinite number of goblins in the mine (hopefully made obvious through dialogue), and I did it without using PlaceAtMe so I don't think it should eat up the formIDs in the player save file. Basically I used a lot of resurrecting and dragging goblins from a dummy cell in a script. In each of the dungeon cells there is a hidden "Shrine of War" object which controls the spawning of the goblins.

I just need to add a few more miners to the entrance, just for ambiance, and then it's ready for more people to playtest.

Also, note that I changed the numbers for the rewards. Instead of aiming for one hundred goblins, it'll be fifty. I found one hundred just took too long and started to seem dull, but maybe it'll be different once the cells are properly decorated. At that point it shouldn't be hard to change.

Less than 20 goblins = 1 point (just for trying)
20 goblins = 2 points
30 goblins = 3 points
40 goblins = 4 points
50 goblins = 5 points

For killing 20 goblins, you get 100 gold. For each additional goblin up until 30 you'll get 3 gold pieces. After that until 50, it'll be 2 gold pieces per additional goblin killed. And after that, it'll be 1 gold piece per goblin killed.

Get ready to kill as many goblins as you like. Big Grin
04-07-2008, 02:49 PM,

I merged the file.

The StFgcSh01GoblinAppear script is impressive! Smile
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD