Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Sample Libraries
04-11-2006, 08:57 PM,
Free Sample Libraries
Im just wondering if any of the musicians here know of free orchestral samples on the web??
As im stuck with midi and software synths atm.
04-26-2006, 02:36 AM,

I don?t know of any :/ But I?d be very interested to find out too!!
Skyrim for Oblivion Music
(last update: December 11 -06) (Nothing is final)...
All comments, suggestions and criticism is welcome!!
04-26-2006, 02:58 AM,

I wonder how much really high quality samples cost anyway?
04-26-2006, 01:54 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Arklon
I wonder how much really high quality samples cost anyway?

They cost ALOT!!!
Skyrim for Oblivion Music
(last update: December 11 -06) (Nothing is final)...
All comments, suggestions and criticism is welcome!!
04-28-2006, 12:25 AM,

Well, it depends on your expectations, really. As far as free samples go (in the form of soundfonts, anyway), the base I turn to is The Titanic Soundfont. It's fairly high quality in some instruments, but I definitely needed to search around for instruments that I didn't care for. The guy loses his bandwidth fairly quickly each month, so starting Monday make a grab for it if you want it. It's huge, though.

It really doesn't stand up against today's high-quality-but-not-free samples, but it's good for what it is. It sounds a bit synthesized. Check out my music to hear what you'll be getting - just remember that I changed a few instruments here and there. I just can't remember which. Wink

The one I'll be using when I get around to efin's Music for Oblivion? ( Cool ) will be Garritan Personal Orchestra, which packs a whole lot into a $200 package. Especially if you have a MIDI keyboard.
05-02-2006, 11:13 AM,

Thanks for your replies as soon as my exams are out the way. I will start composing and get some ideas up.
05-03-2006, 07:13 AM,

The Titanic Soundfont looks like it could be promising but I've never tried it. Before I bought my libraries I used Squidfont's Orchestral (download here). It's about 26MB and the best free orchestral sounds I've found.

To buy, it'll cost you hundreds. My libraries have cost me over $2500 all together - and only that cheap because I got in on some great deals. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend. The Garritan Personal Orchestra mentioned by efin is a good deal for what you get, but there are better, more expensive ones out there if you have the cash. GPO is a good place to start, though. And of course make sure you have a sequencer that will support it!
05-03-2006, 07:18 AM,

Very true - GPO isn't going to give you the same quality as Gigastudio or similar sample libraries. But it's a closer step to free than $thousands$. Big Grin Plus, it does come with an older sequencer that's pretty okay. No Sonar Producer, but decent for the money.