Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas Prices
08-15-2007, 06:35 AM,

One thing i have heard is the production of the oil we get in refinery's takes quite some time do the the lack of motive to increase production and efficiency.

Ethanol in the USA is not viable alternative as it costs just as much as gas or more factoring in you average mpg, sucks for farmers.
Sincerly
Green Cutlass
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM,

I know a guy who makes his own Biodiesel, drives completely for free. But to buy Biodiesel, I don't know if it would be more expensive than gas or not. Can fast food companies produce as much frying oil as there is regular oil in the world?
Lol what?
08-16-2007, 03:52 AM,

lol frying oil Big Grin biodiesel isnt too common where i live so i couldnt tell you about it i do know diesel is an almost constant 2.89 - 2.99 where i live
Sincerly
Green Cutlass
08-16-2007, 06:26 AM,

some folks have installed one of those vegetable oil adapters to their car engines allowing it to run on THAT oil... it smells terrible though and I haven't seen much publicity on it... I bet oil companies have secret agents and/or lobbyists snuffing out alternative energy researchers and preventing research & development cash grants from the government
08-16-2007, 08:35 AM,

No need for them to do such a thing my frriend, its just cheap because no one wants the stuff, there is by no means enough of it to replace any modern fuels on any large scale.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
08-17-2007, 05:03 AM,

Hydrogen is the fuel ofthe future, but the oil companies just won't let it happen, because they want their money. Hydrogen is actually safer than modern gas, contrary to popular belief, it easier to get, it's much more efficient, and not only does it not damage the environment, it makes it cleaner by creating fresh water and oxygen as byproducts.
Lol what?
08-17-2007, 11:53 AM,

too bad. sometimes i wish we were a smaller country so that these ideas could be better embraced and established.

Just last night I was walking down a main street in my city and the combination of the air and the smell of the sewers damn near killed me.
08-17-2007, 04:45 PM,

However hydrogen is (very) inflammable. When you put a chunk of pure sodium or potassium in water, then a reaction will occur where H2 is formed. However with this reaction a flame (due the hydrogen) comes out. The size of the flame is dependant on the size (also mol) of the sodium piece. 1 mol Na+ or K+ gives a flame of 22.4l.
An engine made of hydrogen must be made very save. Although I know that hydrogen is already used in a few belgian or flemish busses.
I don't know if oil is very inflammable, but it's sure inflammable.
I do know that everyone who invests in oil, will not be happy to see hydrogen as fuel for cars.
08-17-2007, 09:50 PM,

Seems like there are a lot of conspiracy theorists around. They are researching hydrogen. Even if the U.S oil companies "Try to silence them", there are many more countries that would be glad to make hydrogen happen.

The reason that hydrogen, or any other alternative fuel source is not out/popular, is because it is still in development. It's probably still expensive. Biodiesel I think works though. It's not like oil company execs shoot people driving them.

I bet an oil company would pick up hydrogen, and use it's mass amount of money to make the gas stations carry it, get some car manufacturers to hydrogen cars, and basically mess up other companies a lot while they still try to profit off oil. Capitalism has a lot of greed, but a lot of the times the companies try to outcompete each other. This helps the consumer. There are times when greed hurts, but the system kind of leads to the greed helping the consumer.

Oh yeah, gas prices are rising because the price per barrel is rising. Not only that, but the gas station has to make money to stay in business, so that's a little extra cash.
08-18-2007, 12:57 AM,

If I can be stopped in the market legaly by someone elses greed, then I had no business trying to compete in the first place, I do not condemn "greedy" practices, only those which use force or fraud.

Needless to say, the oil companies abuse our legal system in order to utilize force, but then again, each and every one of us does.

So, eh.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I