Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generic Orc Dialogue
05-26-2008, 10:40 AM,
Generic Orc Dialogue
Hi all,

After discussing with SACarrow the possibilities for doing a generic Orc voice, I thought I would make it public knowledge that we were considering creating a new set for Orcs, too. At the moment, we have a complete set of 'Crime Quest' lines for Orcs specifically (performed by me) and, although the goal is to retain some of the vanilla voice recordings, we're nonetheless agreed that these Bethesda lines (that ended up as being both Nord and Orc) are possibly the least appealing ones of the original sets for various reasons.

To me, the vanilla set sounds pretty dumb because it's a gruff-ish American voice that seems to deliberately indicate a severe shortage of brain cells. Personally, I thought it was totally inappropriate for Nords but Orcs are a different matter.

I wanted to go for an Orc voice that was more in keeping with the LOTR Orc voices and there are various ways that you can go about that. The first is to take your lead from one of the finest actors of the twentieth century, Marlon Brando, and stick cotton wool or something similar to the sides of your mouth in order to create a 'I have a mouthful of fangs' effect. The second is to growl. If you've ever been into death metal then you've probably practiced this as a kid (grrrrr!... X(..... Cool ). Thirdly, act unnecessarily harsh for most of the time. Fourth and finally, if you use 'Audacity' software, try tweaking the pitch downwards a little if you need that added bit of depth in your voice. Hopefully, you can detect what I'm doing with the attached samples.

I'm going to offer this to CambridgeSpy first of all, who is a good VA but one who we haven't properly been able to find a 'home' for yet. Nonetheless, please post samples here if you wish to give this a try. But like all generic sound sets, be prepared for a LOT of work!
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]