Poll: Are they useable in Oblivion?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, general use
0%
0 0%
Yes, only in... (specify)
0%
0 0%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geology in ST: Oblivion - Rocks (I)
08-01-2005, 06:45 PM,
Geology in ST: Oblivion - Rocks (I)
I made a placeholder mesh to try out a couple of really nice rock textures I found. Speaking as someone who's placed thousands of them in the Morrowind mod, rocks are often underestimated. The ones that came with Morrowind weren't very varied, and trying to make a rocky landscape both detailed and varied is challenging just because you have to repeat the same rock every tenth time. Making new rock meshes for Oblivion isn't that hard, even I can do it.
:elk:

Personally I want us to go in a different direction with the Velothi Mountain areas than we did in the current mod. Red Mountain-rocks just isn't suiting there. Jagged granite on the other hand, sharp enough to cut your finger on, now that I would like to see. But as was done in Morrowind, and as the attached rocks show, it's not a problem to use several textures on the same meshes; so if we have a couple dozen rock meshes they can just be retextured and then we could have several types of mountain tile sets. It could look one way below Silgrad city and a whole other way in the southeast of the landmass. So there are room for different tastes, and hopefully the variation works in our mod's favour.

If you have any rock-related tips you'd like to share, that'd be greatly appreciated. Perhaps you know of a modder who's already created a new rock tileset we could use? Whether for Velothi Mountains or any other area... we need bloody plenty of them! Big Grin
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-01-2005, 07:10 PM,

That looks absolutely great. :goodjob: I wonder, if even I would be able to create rocks with 3dsmax ... I mean basically it's a sphere with dents ... very basically.

On the other hand, I'd rather cooperate with you on this one. All I need is a mesh with a texture and a tool that can re-texture meshes in Oblivion (I hope that NifText or one of the other tools will work - or get 'translated' so to speak - other wise it will be hex-editing again Wink ) and I can apply something from my wide collection of rock textures (about fifty different rocks Big Grin ).

Does it make sense to start with this already? Making rock meshes and texture them, I mean. If yes, I'll search for good-looking textures and present them here.

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
08-01-2005, 07:26 PM,

Sounds great Smile

Meshes like the one I slapped together are really easy to do. Start with a sphere, drag some vertices in different directions, then a Relax effect to make it look more natural. A five-minute job, if that, and they're quite useful to add variety outdoors I think.

Perhaps you could retexture a morrowind rock with the different textures and you and we could see which would look best? Then we could decide which texture(s) are appropriate for which region, and we could get started on making rock meshes. In either case I'll probably do some meshes this weekend. Smile
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
08-01-2005, 07:28 PM,

Oh yeah! Don't forget the bump mapping of the textures! Big Grin Nice looking rocks, maybe I should pull out 3dsmax again.
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
08-01-2005, 07:30 PM,

Bump maps? :eek: No no. I work with vertices. Textures are witchcraft!! :]
Angel mired in filth
08-01-2005, 07:34 PM,

Then I must be a witch. =)

Alright, this will give me a break from populating the various taverns, clubs and cloisters.

Thanks for the opportunity

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
08-01-2005, 08:28 PM,

Razorwing,

could you do me the favour and upload the mesh so I can use my textures on this one. I have serious trouble finding my CS-CD. :hmm: I know it is ... somewhere here ... among those 300+ CDs ... in one of those cases ... or covers ... or ... else ;((

It'd be too kind and helpful of you

Greetings

Quentin
08-02-2005, 05:16 AM,
Excellent!
How about some more angular "rocks" for use on the Jarnhald mountains to make better cliffs?

See, you post excellent work and the Old Nord immediately thinks that you can make anything!

Your thoughts gentlemen...

Ben
So what happened to the Dwemer?
08-02-2005, 04:12 PM,

Quentin: Ok, but bear in mind I didn't intend to showcase the mesh. I didn't spend much effort on it, and it sucks, because I just wanted to show off the textures I found (to get the discussion started) and then spend more effort in the future. The download is about a megabyte so I uploaded it to the database. Click the picture to see the entry.

[Image: bild-klein-1122998668-83.jpg]

Ben Vagara: That's an excellent idea, I think. If you find a texture you like, perhaps you could give that to Quentin and he could post a draft of how that kind of rock would look like? I'd be happy to have a go at making rock meshes for Jarnhald Smile
Angel mired in filth