Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Gmax *CAN* make 3DS Models
02-28-2006, 04:34 PM,
"Gmax *CAN* make 3DS Models
Don't know if this is old news for you, but a read this at the official board (link):

Quote:Lately I have been using Gmax for modding Mount & Blade, adding Icons and towns, that type of thing. Anyway, I realized that I needed to get .gmax files into an .obj format. But Gmax can not do that.

So, I set out on a valiant search and uncovered a secret way to export .gmax formats to everything from .3ds to .obj formats.

Basically it involves using 3 free tools to export, re-export, fix any problems due to the exporting, and then export yet again. So, on to the tools & process:

MD3 Exporter:
A plug-in for Gmax. Use it to export your .gmax formats to .md3 formats.

Npherno:
Use this program to fix any problems that arise because of the exporting to the .md3 format.

Lithunwrap:
Use this program to export .md3 files into .OBJ , .3DS , .ASC , .LWO , .X , .DXF , .COB , and .MS3D formats. Pretty cool, eh?

Some problems may occur due to the exporting however. Please note: I found this on the official Gmax forums, it was not locked, nor was anything mentioned about this being illegal.

This appears to be a totally legal method to turn your Gmax files into 3DS format to use in Morrowind. Cha-cha!

Remember! This is totally legal. It is not hacking, slicing, burning, ect, or doing anything to Gmax. You are simply installing a plug-in which makes .gmax formats into something that can be changed to other formats.

Thread at Official Forums:
http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Index.cf...adID/17331 (Links in Thread)

Now off to test the truth in this method. Will check back soon. Wish me luck.

-Dvd
Squirrel, squirrel, canst thou see? There?s a Snow Elf behind thee!
02-28-2006, 07:41 PM,

hmm.... I gave up using gmax for the slightly easier 3ds max.... Confusedhrug:
gmax from my experience is confusing and not so up-to-date... but then again, everything is still the same, just the option and tools and such are a bit modified or made more advanced or easier to use, etc.
03-01-2006, 12:17 AM,

Also I Heard gmax wasn't being made anymore!
03-01-2006, 12:38 AM,

Ive never heard of gmax! Big Grin
03-01-2006, 01:38 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Hoss
Also I Heard gmax wasn't being made anymore!
hehe, download it, its free

...thats what I did before... do you mean its not downloadable anymore? :pop:
oh well, not interested in it anyhows, anyways, whatever eh? yo ya :yes:
03-02-2006, 05:10 PM,

Seems that gmax is still downloadable, can still be registered and the theory of Dvd seems to work ... unless I completely misunderstood his second post.

the thread at ES forum again

This means there is a free and legal way for anyone who wants to try out her/his modelling skills.

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
03-02-2006, 11:37 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Quentin Fortune
Seems that gmax is still downloadable, can still be registered and the theory of Dvd seems to work ... unless I completely misunderstood his second post.

the thread at ES forum again

This means there is a free and legal way for anyone who wants to try out her/his modelling skills.

Greetings

Quentin
yup, but I found it harder than 3ds max Confusedhrug:
maybe thats just me, but theres reason gmax is free