Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone heard about....
04-19-2007, 03:41 AM,

Yeah, America has some strange gun laws, like if you are mentally ill, you are limited to owning ONLY four fire arms :lmao:
Also, there is an American bank that will give you a free rifle if you open an account with them, AWESOME! Big Grin

Check this out: http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_82.aspx
.50 BMG anti tank caliber!!! Get them while you still can! :bananarock:
Akavir mod leader.
04-19-2007, 03:58 AM,

I guess I should state where I currently stand: I rest somewhere between anarcho-capitalism and a rules utilitarianism system based on no force or fraud, in both of these situations, there would be no market for guns and as such, the inovation would be wasted and it would be a non-issue, the only reason there is a market for weaponry is desire to subjgate or hurt our fellow men. So its difficult to advocate any action within our current system and still stay true to my values and remain intellectualy honest, but I believe in our current system gun regulation would be desirable, but that its a roadblock in the long run goal of no regulation outside of force and fraud, so for now... no, we do not desire gun control.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
04-19-2007, 04:48 AM,

Maybe if your heart don't cooperate with your head something is wrong.
Anyway, I think that the solution to this problem lies in care. This persons personal life... well, wasn't really any personal life at all. As many children do, they pride themselves off of disobedience, yet in this case there was surely a deepened attachment to a string of conscience, such as, as he stated in his message to the world, the realization of the high class minded peoples of America who do nothing to help others, but only contribute to the problem through fallacies and ignorance... The solution he took however, one would speculate, only exacerbated the symptoms that he was so dearly against. And though it is a right thing, to be against a system, to judge a system that does not acknowledge it's citizens, which America doesn't in many ways, while at the same time seeing that the whole goal of democracy is to push the issues our hearts are in, and I'm sure in his mind, this system felt impenetrable, even impossible. He didn't see anyone really standing with him, it feels like this to me and probably many others on a daily basis... The distinction is that some move with others, and some don't, but the reasons why he did not choose to join a group with his values may be because of his label as an outcast in society which is not only never true, is false in itself.

When I look at the system personally, I see only one way to rise above it, through force. Force must be the option, it is the only plausible explanation, the only plausible solution.
04-19-2007, 05:57 AM,

Limit the public to Tranquilizers and Tasers! Seriously. That law shouldn't apply now, back then it was made because life wasn't easy and danger was everywhere, expansion into who-knows-where or what you will find there, defending against hostile Native Americans. Now, we don't need that stuff. The only people I can think of in America who would need a gun are people who hunt to eat, yes they still do in some highly rural areas.

I think we would have a much shorter list if we looked up reasons why we should have guns, or any weapon really.

Virginia Tech, not as big at all as 9/11. We've had several issues of major domestic violence, but 9/11 was a much bigger thing, mainly because, thousands died, it was an organized assault, almost anyone can say they at least know someone who knew someone that died or was there, and it made a major fear of flying (especially when I was coming back from Florida last summer one day after they found all those bombs in the planes disguised as gatorade or something :eek: )

And of course there won't be any racism against Asians. 9/11 yes, biggest case of U.S. blinding nationallism I've ever heard about. Like I was once coming back from a trip to Canada a little while after 9/11 and we got held up at the border because my dad looks middle eastern (Greek btw) But this recent thing was so small in the grand scheme of things.

Virginia Tech is in normal Virginia, right? Hope this doesn't interfere in our band trip to Virginia next Thursday Sad
Lol what?
04-19-2007, 06:08 AM,

Liberals today:

Let's ban guns to make people safe!

And let's legalize drugs to get rid of the dangerous black market!

Liberals of tomorrow:

Let's ban drugs to make people safe!

And let's legalize guns to get rid of the dangerous black market!

Anybody with a sense of pattern recognition should realize that banning guns won't work. Not here in the states.
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
04-19-2007, 06:19 AM,

Good thing I'm not a Liberal if that's the future :eek:
Lol what?
04-19-2007, 08:30 AM,

Ok let's get the example of the legalised prostitution and softdrugs in the Netherlands. We got in both the lowest risk/deaths of europe. Prostitutes are scanned to be clean and pay normal taxes. Nothing wrong with it.

You can say that banning guns doesn't work, people will get other weapons but you do realise that in for example Canada the number of murders on every 100 citizens is less then 40% of the US?

Let me trow in another statistic. In may 2006 1 on every 136 americans was in jail and the number have been increasing ever since... Over there in the US are some problems you might want to sort out before telling the rest of the world what to do Wink
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
04-19-2007, 08:40 AM,

*note: this post is in response to Zarf, for some reason I didn't just quote him*
Liberal says:
WRONG!

Drugs can not be used maliciously. If someone wants to mess up their life with drugs, let them. The problem with guns is, when they are abused, it is more than just the user who's life gets messed up.

Btw Zarf, basing a pattern off of a single value is mathematically impossible.

On the shooting as a whole: I have a strange feeling campus life is going to be a bit different next year, and not in a good way.

edit: added in the note
04-19-2007, 03:08 PM,

Zarf, first principle values are incomperable. thus far your arguements have been narrow minded, unsupported, based on some imaginary "american" nature (which I promise you I do not posses), and have all in all, been fairly offensive to me.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
04-19-2007, 05:42 PM,

Let me trow in another statistic. In may 2006 1 on every 136 americans was in jail and the number have been increasing ever since... Over there in the US are some problems you might want to sort out before telling the rest of the world what to do

I didn't tell you what to do. There's your problem, you think I'm advocating my morality for the whole world. Quit jumping to conclusions, and quit stuffing words in my mouth.

It's true that we have problems to fix. But do you really think the murder rate is going to go down because we have decided to take weapons away? Because we have suddenly decided to drop a 230 year tradition? No, people can easily find other ways to kill other people.

The problem we have is with cultures clashing. France and Germany are going to see the same thing pretty soon, methinks. Now, before you go spouting off your self-righteous values, consider that I haven't done the same here. I haven't preached to you, and I haven't advocated that other countries adopt guns for the citizenry. Keep that in mind before you decide that you are better than me because I'm American.

Btw Zarf, basing a pattern off of a single value is mathematically impossible.

Then let's look at some other "values" then, shall we? Look at what happened during prohibition. Now, I'm not saying I agree with this stuff... but the culture of drinking alcohol was here in far too great of numbers for the ban to work. The ban was repealed because a dangerous black market was shoving in.

Drugs can not be used maliciously. If someone wants to mess up their life with drugs, let them. The problem with guns is, when they are abused, it is more than just the user who's life gets messed up.

Apparently they don't have to worry about spiked drinks or food where you come from.

Zarf, first principle values are incomperable.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here.

thus far your arguements have been narrow minded, unsupported, based on some imaginary "american" nature (which I promise you I do not posses), and have all in all, been fairly offensive to me.

Glad to hear it. I've been offended by lots of stuff that you spout off, but have I complained about it until now? No. Get over it. If you can't live with offensive people like me, well... your supposed "open mindedness" needs a bit more work.

Now then. Point out what I said that was "unsupported". My sweeping generalizations can be called "narrow minded", but I call the shots as I see them. Forgive me for being observant.

Bah. Forget this, this discussion isn't worth my time. Furthermore, I'm not the oh-so-evil NRA, and they have a much clearer understanding about the laws and purposes here. Talk to them if you want a view that isn't so "narrow minded". Now excuse me while I kill myself because I can't conform to your values.
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.