Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you find out about Silgrad Tower?
09-12-2006, 04:03 AM,

The old team was more relaxed on the lore issue than we are today, particularly when it came to character names which were sometimes pretty crazy. Some still carry that impression of us.

Personally I grew a fascination with lore as I learned more about it, especially with what I like to call "immersion". For me, adhering to lore is vital to help players immerse themselves in the part of the world we create. Many players come into the mod knowing lore to some extent, and if our mod differs too much from what they expect they'll be confused and disappointed. I mean pretty much everyone knows what a Redoran house is supposed to look like, and if ours didn't, people couldn't take the mod seriously.

But there's lore, and there's lore. Sometimes people confuse lore with what they think is correct, but no matter how convinced they are that they're in the right doesn't make it so. Either Bethesda's said or they haven't, and if they haven't then every theory is as good as the next.

However, at the same time I value our mod's background and the 'local lore' we created over the years. I like the fact that Silgrad City has such a unique and original backstory to it that has among other things caused it to look Hlaalu, I like the fact that there's strife in Reich Parkeep, and I really like the fact that we have a huge spooky forest. As luck would have it though, nothing of that is refuted in lore, and keeping those aspects from the old mod is just as important for immersion in my opinion, but immersion in the sense of what people expect from the Silgrad Tower mod.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
09-12-2006, 08:08 PM,

Me? Well I started out with modding for Morrowind. Man how fun that was, and whats this? Tamriel-Rebuilt, good lord I almost peed my pants. So I look over the website, then I think, ey what the hell and claim an interior. Back then things were different than they are now. People are very strict, and the only person that helped me mod my interior (as in give me advice, and do a bit of reviews), well deserted me. My interior was revoked, I had never felt better at modding anything, my interior looked perfect in my eyes.

The only problems were that there was some intentional bleedings (I found this out when I tried to go into the new system in TR, the one where you have to showcase, so I showcased my interior. It was dirty (being my first mod) and as I mentioned bled.). But I was so turned off at that stage I went from the modding scene altogether. Don't worry I'm getting there.

So I get Oblivion for my computer, and ofcourse the only reason I got was to mod (I already had it for my Xbox). I started frequenting the mod forums, and then I see Reich Parkeep alpha 4.0. I say 'Hullo, wots this then' (I'm not acctually englinsh though Tongue). And thats where I posted and met Razorwing.

And now here I am, an addicted person. No I'm not on drugs, I love my mod. So I noticed Silgrad Tower because of PR and TR. But just for the heck of it, I noticed Valenwood while waiting for Sandor to give me my interior review :lmao:

Thats my story,

-FLESH
To answer your question, yes. But probably no.
09-13-2006, 07:23 PM,

I have not tried TR, but I have seen a TR Hlaalu 'town' that they claimed was 'built according to the original intentions of the Beth devs.'

That was after I joined here, and though I said nothing at the time I felt that the Beth Devs had been correct to move on from there and make the Hlaalu style less cluttered.

Thing was that the buildings did not fit their environment - in real cities there is crowding because of competition, it is never designed in to that extent, and I felt that should hold true for Tamriel - in fact designed with the area in mind is what I have seen in ES and ST, and part of why I remain here.

You have to either fit your buildings to the landscape or if your people are determined and have the resources they may alter the landscape according to their wishes.

My feeling was that TR in this instance were hung up on a RL might have been that was passed by, and sought (in the name of choosing their own favorite in Bethsoft politics) to resurrect that which had never come to be in such a way that I was not interested.

Having said that I have seen stuff in TR that is absolutely wonderful. Funny old world eh?

What is important is that you find the balance that works for you with the folks you are happy working with.

Personally, I don't think you are thinking in elderscrolls terms, I think that you have an entirely different universe in mind. I suspect that there are mods that cater for aliens on the elderscrolls.com forum, and if you really want to do that then you should check them out. :yes: The whole thng about modding is to find where you feel at home, and make your own changes to make it so with like-minded friends - and yes, there are folks out there who salivate at the mere mention of aliens visiting Tamriel... find em! :cheers:
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
09-20-2006, 05:44 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Oht_Nought
From what Razorwing states, my impression of what ST's stance on lore has changed in the last 3 years (yeah I've been creaping around for that long)... it seems more like TR's stance on lore... good thing, bad thing, dunno.

TR: "In Tamriel Rebuilt, we strive to make the world as this knowledge has established it, and preserve it as accurately as possible." ..."We do have to create more lore, however; the current amount is not satisfactory for the whole of Tamriel. We have begun this grand effort by making spellbooks, writing stories and quests, and seeking out answers to our many questions."

ST: "We will not break against lore (official facts about The Elder Scrolls world established by Bethesda). This applies to a wide range of areas. However, you can add things not mentioned in lore if you give it a sound explanation, give it an inherent logic, and doesn't break the feeling."

Both go on to say other things... but both seem like they get at the same things: follow lore as much as possible then fill in the gaps with sound explinations.

So, what's this I always here about both projects having different stances on lore?

I take it it's about how you "enforce Lore".
The Forgotten Ones have returned.
09-20-2006, 09:50 PM,

I think it was a POTD at PlanetElderScrolls.
Artemis Vendu - sucking Vvardenfell dry since 3E 394