Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many cells for Silgrad city ?
07-01-2006, 06:32 PM,
How many cells for Silgrad city ?
As we are in the process of determining the exact size, I tested a few exterior buildings.

A medium sized building with the necessary roads etc. takes roughly half a cell.
Please find attached a few screenshots.

As we are planning at least 150-200 buildings (some are very large) and a few nice parks, the market place and ponds etc. We need a lot of space.

My estimate.
For the buildings 200 cells, parks and ponds etc. 75 cells and for the walls and surroundings another 125 cells. Total : 400 cells.

Too small, too big ?
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
07-01-2006, 09:04 PM,
RE: How many cells for Silgrad city ?
Suspect that you need to start with the concepts:

Decide what you have to include and what you want to include;

Decide what will remain as the original TES3, and what will be partially altered, and what will be totally new.

Decide whether the original stuff (presumably in the same basic proportions) will include more detail and therefore have to be greater in overall area.

Because all these decisions will form the basis of your fundamental equations...that is what Lore is useful for, both the old stuff and the new stuff that you will decide on. In this respect I feel that KuKulzA's opinion could be invaluable... he loves playing about with the power balances of factions and MQ requirements, and once you spark that kind of interaction you will have the basis on which to make many decisions.

Sure, you could start with the area predetermined. But I would only advise you consider that if you have a blueprint of the land that it is built on. In which case you might add a parameter of fitting a basic size to the landscape - flowing round or over natural features...

Take a look at the Vvardenfell Forums and see how much preparatory work KKA is putting in concept-wise. He is building up loads of interest by this means, and because he has started this way around he will not have the choice of junking great graphics or a great scenario. He can get the best of both! It is easier and quicker to change words than graphics for most people...

Hope this is of use...

If in doubt, start a controversy... :evil ninja grin: - waiit a minute, who said that?
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
07-01-2006, 09:46 PM,

i would do as riggidman sugested: plan out everything that is needed. you should also look at the exsting cities in both CD and ST to get a size estimate...

....wait....

400 cells?!? do you mean acutal exterior OB cells? if yes, are you insane?
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
07-01-2006, 09:48 PM,

Well then send him to the Asylum!

:bananarock:
Boil-em, Mash-em, Stick-em in a stew!

Golems: 9/??
Jiihat: 17/30
Leader of the Khajiit (name undecided): 23/30 braids in the mane

The fort itself:

Interiors: 0%
Exteriors 24%

For Kvatch!
07-01-2006, 09:50 PM,

400 cells, yeah... we need more like 1000, don't you think? Smile
07-01-2006, 09:54 PM,

Lady Nerevar: Don't forget that the poll on the landmass scale ended with an overwhelming support for 16x16 scale - that each exterior cell in our TES3 mod was recreated as 256 Oblivion cells. It sounds gargantuan but it's "just" 400% of the original scale. Going from that, 400 cells would make Silgrad smaller in comparison to the landmass than it was in TES3.

Us oldies just have to remind ourselves that scale and cell sizes are wildly different in the new game. In TES3 you could fit a town into an exterior cell. In TES4 you can fit about three houses.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-01-2006, 09:59 PM,

well, if you guys think that you can make such a large city well...(the work load is enormous)
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
07-01-2006, 10:00 PM,

If it really is going to be that big, perhaps the use of seperate world spaces for different parts of the city would be a good idea?
07-01-2006, 10:11 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by TheImperialDragon
If it really is going to be that big, perhaps the use of seperate world spaces for different parts of the city would be a good idea?

Bethesda only did that to make the game work on the Xbox 360. PCs don't have the same limitation. Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-01-2006, 10:12 PM,

Except for the framerate perhaps?