Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I like my clutter middle-class
07-09-2010, 04:57 PM,

Thanks for the help morcroft and I like the color on the right Smile

@Wulfharth, ST has coins. They are stamped. I will attach image/s.

I like the color of the goldcoin.dds and the color of morcrofts bar on the right for a newer smelt, possibly for the bank? Any input you might have is welcome.

Textures\st\clutter\coin\goldcoin.dds
Textures\st\clutter\coin\coinback_a.dds

@Sandor, TID and RW, what do you think? How should the gold bars look?

Have a great day
Charles
07-09-2010, 06:13 PM,

I'm a bit busy in RL these last few days, and will be probably for a few more, so I haven't had a chance to look at your new plates yet, but I will when I get the chance. Smile

To answer your question, I think it would be great if we could get remakes of the Morrowind textures - it's just that they'd have to be made 100% from scratch since using anything from TES3 in TES4 is strictly forbidden by copyright. It's okay if that's not possible though, and if we use other custom textures instead.

Quote:I'll be happy to make some gold bars, but it does bring up a relevant question. At what point in the model making process do I get to define the material a model is made of?

The above crate is wood with metal trim. I've exported the metal pieces and wood pieces seperately, because I want to assign them the seperate material qualities, and then combine them in nifskope. Is that something I can do in nifskope?

When I know that, I'll be able to make you gold bars that behave like metal.

Hm, well Wulfharth, I've got a few ideas, but I'll have to admit that this is an area that I don't really know all that well. Big Grin

After an NIF is exported, my understanding is that there are a few ways that the collision can be set up. Mine are generally set up with a "bhkRigidBody" node, with a child "bhkMoppBvTreeShape". To change the material used here, I just click on the bhkMoppBvTreeShape and change the Material property (see my screenshot).

If you wanted to have multiple materials in the same object, I'd *imagine* (I haven't looked into this in detail yet) you'd want to export with a bhkListShape node, which has multiple children (and then edit each child to have whichever material you desired). Again, I'm not 100% sure on this, so it might be best to look at a few Oblivion models first and get an idea as to how they're done.

It should also be noted that for some reason many of my models are exported with multiple NiNode children marked as collisiondummy's, which each contain collision objects. Confusedhrug: This may be another way of doing it, but I would be careful.

For simplicity's sake, if all else fails, I would say assigning the whole thing to be wooden is probably best for now.
07-10-2010, 10:22 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Wulfharth
Gold bars usually have some identifier stamped in the top, but I guess it's not necessary.

Quote:Originally posted by TheImperialDragon

To answer your question, I think it would be great if we could get remakes of the Morrowind textures - it's just that they'd have to be made 100% from scratch since using anything from TES3 in TES4 is strictly forbidden by copyright. It's okay if that's not possible though, and if we use other custom textures instead.
That would be nice.

As a placeholder stamp we could use the "ST coin back texture" from Zurke's post.
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
07-11-2010, 05:10 PM,

This is round 2 on that crate. I tried to make the rivets look a little cleaner in the texture. You'll also notice that the mesh now uses two textures. That is so I could use differentiated normal maps. What I was talking about earlier with picking materials was because I wanted the wood to be dull and the metal to be shiny, and the sounds to be different when struck. Using different materials in nifskope did nothing for me, so I did the normal map thing instead. The difference isn't as drastic as I was shooting for, and the whole mesh reacts as wood, but I can live with this.

Maybe someone with GIMP and more experience can tweak the normals a bit more. Up to you. I kind of want to close the book on this crate and try to bust out the plates.
07-11-2010, 06:54 PM,

Hey Wulfharth, I took a look at the crate, see if the one below works the way you wanted it to. I added different levels of alpha to each individual texture. For the collision, take a look at how it's set up. First I duplicated the outer rim, and then I broke it down into small box shapes, which were each set up as collision boxes. I exported with bhkListShape, so each individual box would be kept separate (this is the first time it actually worked for me Tongue). In NIFSkope, I set it up so that the boxes around the outside had metal material, while the box around the wooden part had wooden material.

btw: If you want to keep the old versions of the archives you attached earlier, download them since I think I'm going to delete them (unless you have any particular objection). It's just because they're a bit large and it takes up server space - it's good to keep things as tidy as possible. Smile

EDIT: I also looked at those plates, and they look better. :goodjob: I know you're still working on them, but is the collision final? I haven't looked at it in-game, but in NIFSkope it doesn't look as though it fits quite right... If you agree with me, then do you know is there any easy way to scale it in 3DSMax? If not, I know of one way to do it in NIFSkope, but it probably won't fit quite as well as anything involving 3DSMax. Smile I attached an NIF showing one such result.
07-12-2010, 03:10 PM,
Quick question
Since I am responsible for updating the assets I assume this is the final version of your plates, right?

TIA.

The easiest way for me to keep track of the final version is to send the assets via PM.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
07-14-2010, 02:11 AM,

These aren't final, so I wouldn't try to use them yet. But, you can delete the attachments. I'll post the updates soon anyway. I need to figure out collision in max, for these and the gold bars.

The crate is , I believe, the final version (Imperial's update). So all the rest can go. Huge thanks for all the help on that collision. I beat the bejeezus out of that thing in-game. That was exactly what I was looking for.
07-17-2010, 07:09 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Wulfharth
These aren't final, so I wouldn't try to use them yet. But, you can delete the attachments. I'll post the updates soon anyway. I need to figure out collision in max, for these and the gold bars.

The crate is , I believe, the final version (Imperial's update). So all the rest can go. Huge thanks for all the help on that collision. I beat the bejeezus out of that thing in-game. That was exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks and noted, I'll add the crate to the assets update.
I'll create an esm entry as well.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
07-18-2010, 03:24 AM,

Wulfharth - is the collision the only thing you're stuck on with the plates?
07-20-2010, 01:44 AM,

The collision is a hurdle that needs to be overcome, but I do have quite a lot of work to do still. I've been pretty busy lately getting ready for vacation, so I'm probably not going to have anything to post until the end of the month.

I've only got 2 differently shaped plates so far. I wanted to do about 5. And each will have to be mapped. If you can get someone to make collision for the one shape I've posted, you could probably get someone to re-tex it for you. Otherwise, I'll get back to it when I get back.