Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iaijutsu
08-23-2007, 03:04 PM,
Iaijutsu
would it be possible to create a mod that would add a new skill to the game, that of Iaijutsu. My idea is that it would only be useable if the PC has a katana equipped. If the katana is sheathed, and the PC attacks, then it would use the Iaijutsu skill. If the PC continues to attack, then it would switch to the Blade skill, but if he chooses to resheath the katana and then attack again it would once again use the Iaijutsu skill. It should probably do less damage and be slower at lower levels than Blade, but by mid levels it should surpass Blade and be just as fast, and at high levels perhaps be capable of single-hit kills to practically anything. Does this sound viable, is it something others would be interested in, and is there anyone that would have the ability and time to create such a mod?
08-23-2007, 03:13 PM,

Welcome to the Akavir forums =)

Yeah, i think iai-jutsu like you discribed should be possible, but we would need to work together with the people who make combat mods (there is a good one where you can cut people in half and wield a sword from horseback, but i can't remember it's name right now).

EDIT: And yes, some people have shown interest in this, the same goes for me.
Akavir mod leader.
08-23-2007, 03:34 PM,

I would love to see this, but the biggest problem might be with the animation if you want to make it look realistic. In iai-jutsu the sword draw itself is usually a strike (nukitsuke), but there is no animation in OB that would replicate such a movement.
When the game is over, the King and the Pawn go back into the same box.
08-23-2007, 03:34 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Kodama
Welcome to the Akavir forums =)

Yeah, I think iai-jutsu like you discribed should be possible, but we would need to work together with the people who make combat mods (there is a good one where you can cut people in half and wield a sword from horseback, but I can't remember it's name right now).

EDIT: And yes, some people have shown interest in this, the same goes for me.

Deadly reflex. Smile
I like forts! You don't like forts? Screw you.
This post has been edited 5,453 time(s), it was last edited by Beremat: Today, 53:83
08-23-2007, 03:38 PM,

Deadly reflex, that's it! ... Or is it deadly reflexes? :confused:

The animation is indeed the biggest problem, but it's a relatively simple and short animation, all we need to do is find an animator willing to animate it for us (that's easier said then done).
Akavir mod leader.
08-23-2007, 11:06 PM,

One thing I do forsee though, if it is made realistically, it might be difficult to play as you would be passing beside the opponent on the strike and have to turn around afterwards to see the opponent again. But it would be worth it to have such a skill. Personally I have no experience whatsoever with tes4 modding, and all I did with tes3 was placing objects that were already made. I'm willing to learn though.
08-23-2007, 11:40 PM,

Yeah, the first time I played Oblivion I attempted to play like that, the problem was the NPCs swivel like desk chairs in the middle of a sword swing to constantly face the Player, dodging a strike and then attacking is impossible. The only combat mod I would be interested in would be one to prevent NPCs from constantly facing the Player.
Akavir Chief Modeller.

Modeling is easy.
Everything else is hard.
08-24-2007, 09:23 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Corthian
The only combat mod I would be interested in would be one to prevent NPCs from constantly facing the Player.

That would be great! :yes:

I think that "passing beside the opponent on the strike and have to turn around afterwards" might be impossible or simply not desired, i don't want my back to be exposed to one or two enemies who where standing behind the first enemy :eek:

Quote:Originally posted by shinokage
I'm willing to learn though.

I hear that a lot, some one should really set up a "modding school" Big Grin
Akavir mod leader.
08-25-2007, 09:22 AM,

The more I thought about it the more I realized that my last post might have been describing more Battojutsu instead of Iaijutsu. If I remember correctly, Iaijutsu is more focussed on precision, and they would just take one step forward, their rear foot remaining rooted to the ground till their front foot landed, whereas Battojutsu would focus more on power, and the step forward would become more of a leap, both feet in motion at once. But I may be wrong.
09-07-2007, 10:24 PM,

^ what would be awesome would be adding martial arts to the hand to hand battle category... XD

maybe a judo move throwing your opponents across the room or multiple wing-chun punches to the wind pipe?
-Connoisseur of Rome: Total War modification - "Europa Barbarorum"
-History Buff of Ancient European & East Asian History and WW2